So is this a good easy distro for a home user?

https://solydxk.com/ I really want Mate, got used to it since using Mint. Anyway, that is a good easy rolling distro right?

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

It's not rolling release afaik

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

It's not rolling release afaik

Really, I thought it was semi-rolling?

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Just now, Edward78 said:

Really, I thought it was semi-rolling?

Define semi-rolling? It has a 2 year stable release cycle after which you need to upgrade to use the new packages, that doesn't seem rolling to me in any way.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Define semi-rolling? It has a 2 year stable release cycle after which you need to upgrade to use the new packages, that doesn't seem rolling to me in any way.

Hmmm, well can you atleast upgrade by downloading & updating the OS, or do you need to install again?

9 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

Hmmm, well can you atleast upgrade by downloading & updating the OS

Well yes (at least I think so) but you can do that with Ubuntu as well and I don't think Ubuntu can be considered a rolling release. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with standard release distros, just be aware that solydxk isn't rolling.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Honestly if you are a beginner, rolling release distros are not ideal. You may want to stick with something like Ubuntu for a while and then if you want move to a rolling release聽take a look at聽Arch. It has a big community behind and the best documentation you can get.

Also you can get MATE up and running on any distribution if that's what you want.

BUT having said that, if you really want a ready to go聽rolling release distro with MATE take a look at Manjaro.

I found arch based somehow more user-friendly than ubuntu based when installing third party software. Using GUI pamac or octopi聽to install software from聽AUR is simply search and click, while adding ppa is a bit more work. Things get even worse if a ppa you want to use suddenly disappear and you will end up compiling from source code, getting into dependencies hell. Yeah you usually have to apt-get all dependencies you need for a software manually in ubuntu while pamac/octopi automatically grab聽them for you.聽聽AUR makes things more reliable. This is just my personal experience you might not ever encounter though.

A semi-rolling would be like KDE Neon, where the desktop environment & other KDE software are rolling, while the base itself (Ubuntu) is on an LTS.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

To be honest get Pop!_OS or Ubuntu, depends on if you care on if you want up-to-date (Pop!_OS) or out-of-date (Ubuntu), (NOTE: I have yet to use 19.04 version of Ubuntu, I need to look into it sometime, I might be wrong with the out-of-date stuff but Pop!_OS is still better imo)