GPU 1st fan spins on startup then doesn't spin no matter what

A friend of mine is using a Zotac gtx 770 with dual fans

When he presses the power button both fans spin but the one on the right stops after a second or so

The pc is running fine but the problem is that his GPU reaches 95c and starts thermal throttling but there is only 1 fan spinning

We replaced the GPU thermal paste and cleaned the fans but it didn't help as the gpu is still reaching

Anyone got a clue on how to fix this?

5 minutes ago, IWannaBeUniqueMom said:

there is only 1 fan spinning

The other fan is either dead or a cable/connector is loose. Both are likely.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

11 minutes ago, IWannaBeUniqueMom said:

A friend of mine is using a Zotac gtx 770 with dual fans

When he presses the power button both fans spin but the one on the right stops after a second or so

The pc is running fine but the problem is that his GPU reaches 95c and starts thermal throttling but there is only 1 fan spinning

We replaced the GPU thermal paste and cleaned the fans but it didn't help as the gpu is still reaching

Anyone got a clue on how to fix this?

Right my dude, sounds like an issue with the fan itself not switching correctly when being given a higher voltage of power.

Probably a dead/dying fan  motor or something along those lines, just going off that, or and more ominously its a dead or failing fan header on the mainboard for the gpu, however most gpus use a splitter off a single header so that problem often manifests in both fans stopping working after bootup. so its likely just the fan motor itself failing.

First thing to do, but also most ghetto thing to do would be replace the fan that wont spin (remove the old fan so it wont interfere), with either a like 90mm case-fan zip-tied to the card or something along those sizes, run off a motherboard header, or another replacement fan for that specific model and size restraints that is plugged directly into the header for that fan on the gpu itself and can be re-screwed into the hole left by the previous fan.

And thats really your only option for a fan that wont spin up after boot, if run off a single header being split to two separate fans. I mean, it may be ghetto, but it will get you by untl you can afford to get a new gpu. I ran the same kind of setup for like, 2 years before upgrading my 390's.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||