Wiring speaker with small wires between inputs

RedXIII

I have some Q Acoustics 1020i with dual inputs on the back. But they have these little wires between them and I don't know what they do. I'm only planning to connect 2 speakers from the amplifier.

I'm guessing I just put my speaker cables in and leave them where they are?

So you can "bi-amp" these speakers, meaning you can send the highs/mids to one set of terminals, and the lows to the other set. If your receiver or amplifier doesn't support this, then you just leave the two wires connected as they are on your speakers, and connect your receiver to either the top or bottom terminals and it will all work just fine.

3 hours ago, RedXIII said:

I have some Q Acoustics 1020i with dual inputs on the back. But they have these little wires between them and I don't know what they do. I'm only planning to connect 2 speakers from the amplifier.

I'm guessing I just put my speaker cables in and leave them where they are?

Leave the wire where they are. Just connect the wire from the amp to the speaker, its so you can bi-amp like @JohnT said, which is where you do the crossover before amplification, its also for bi-wiring which is absolutely pointless. Those little wires are called "bridges" they usually look like this: image.png.819f49cf9a87990d0be3fd53a396dd2d.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I connected the speakers to the banana plugs.

But now I have another problem. The instructions for the hi-fi only talk about bare wires, but I went and bought banana plugs on both ends. I really don't want to have to cut them off after paying for them. ?

The hi-fi I have is an Onkyo CR-515DAB. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/115268/Onkyo-Cr-315dab.html?page=18#manual

Is it ok to connect the banana plugs to terminals like this? I connected them anyway. They sound good on CD so maybe it's an ok arrangement. The connectors are just touching the metal on the terminals.

IMG_20190514_122646.jpg

Those little black things at the end are just covers. You can remove them to install your banana plugs. 

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

Those little black things at the end are just covers. You can remove them to install your banana plugs. 

It's easy when you know how, thanks.

Spoke too soon, paperclip won't do anything if it's just rounded inside.

6 hours ago, RedXIII said:

I connected the speakers to the banana plugs.

But now I have another problem. The instructions for the hi-fi only talk about bare wires, but I went and bought banana plugs on both ends. I really don't want to have to cut them off after paying for them. ?

The hi-fi I have is an Onkyo CR-515DAB. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/115268/Onkyo-Cr-315dab.html?page=18#manual

Is it ok to connect the banana plugs to terminals like this? I connected them anyway. They sound good on CD so maybe it's an ok arrangement. The connectors are just touching the metal on the terminals.

IMG_20190514_122646.jpg

In the red and black thing they will have plugs. its to stop people plugging stuff into them lol. just prise em out then you can put the banana's in them.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

In the red and black thing they will have plugs. its to stop people plugging stuff into them lol. just prise em out then you can put the banana's in them.

A small screw driver got them out, thanks a lot! Now I have a fully working system.

3 hours ago, RedXIII said:

A small screw driver got them out, thanks a lot! Now I have a fully working system.

I take it you live in the EU as audio products cant have binding posts without plugs to stop people plugging actual plugs into them lol.. i spent like half an hour pulling all the plugs out of my denon 8500h :/

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

I take it you live in the EU as audio products cant have binding posts without plugs to stop people plugging actual plugs into them lol.. i spent like half an hour pulling all the plugs out of my denon 8500h :/

Heh... that's kind of humorous. Although to the OP's credit, my Onkyo receiver also came with covers over the banana plug terminals. It was an experience the day I found out I can remove them ?

14 hours ago, JohnT said:

Heh... that's kind of humorous. Although to the OP's credit, my Onkyo receiver also came with covers over the banana plug terminals. It was an experience the day I found out I can remove them ?

Its bloody stupid tbf. I dont even think the spacing is correct to plug a plug into them.. all audio products (even speakers) have to be sold with the plugs in 5 way binding posts.. all of the screw parts on the binding posts all have a gouge on my receiver now from me wedging a screwdriver in there lol..