Xeon E3 1240 vs E5 1650 v2 for RX 580 (gaming PC)

Quick question, is it worth to upgrade my LGA 1155 E3 1240 (a bit slower than i7 2600) to an LGA 2011 E5 1650v2 (Ivy Bridge 6x 3.5~3.9Ghz 12T) to be used with RX 580? No concerns about the cost, if I were to pay for it the regular price I wouldn't even bother ;) more like is it worth the hassle of taking apart the current system and then trying to sell the old CPU and MB? Or doesn't it really make much difference for RX 580?

Same generation, 200Mhz speed increase, 50% bump in cores.  Short answer is yes, you will see an improvement.  However, it won't be night & day and would be dependant on if the game can take advantage of the extra cores or not.  If no cost, I would probably do it, but wouldn't want to spend a lot of money to do so.

The only real concern I have is being stuck with no buyers for my old CPU/MB so there is that small risk involved, as long as I manage to sell it for the avg honest price they go for, the upgrade should not cost me more than 20€. Haven't gotten a new GPU yet either so can't really tell if my current CPU is gonna be a bottleneck for RX 580 or not.

11 minutes ago, bololabich said:

The only real concern I have is being stuck with no buyers for my old CPU/MB so there is that small risk involved, as long as I manage to sell it for the avg honest price they go for, the upgrade should not cost me more than 20€. Haven't gotten a new GPU yet either so can't really tell if my current CPU is gonna be a bottleneck for RX 580 or not.

Well how many people out there is going to buy a xeon? IDK how much but i know if its here they wouldn't honestly (only a number of people will know the real value).

19 hours ago, bololabich said:

The only real concern I have is being stuck with no buyers for my old CPU/MB so there is that small risk involved,

well, people like those old 1155 xeons as easy upgrades over i5s. You may be able to get rid of it easy.

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad