Paint an SSD?

Lachrymal

I heard you can paint the ssd as long as your cover the connectors and don't mind voiding the warranty. Is this true? If so, do I need primer and what brand of spray paint? I planned on getting a Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/120G 2.5" or 

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB.

Is it even worth it in the end to color it red or should I just scrape more cash out of my pocket for a Corsair Force Series GS 120GB 2.5"?

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I would just get the Corsair. I don't like voiding my warranties. :P

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

First of all. It's best that you buy a cheap more budget solid state drive as a tester before realistically doing it on a drive that will always be in a 24/7 operation in your computer. It might be worth it, spray painting with a primer but for a first-timer it might be difficult.

If you're not willing to do the painting just buy the Force GS from Corsair vs doing a custom paint job and design unless your don't mind having no warranty.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The 240GB Corsair would be a better SSD, but you can absolutely paint if you want to - you just run the risk of damaging the SATA connectors.

Primer really isn't needed - just get a spray paint with primer mixed into it. Remember, if you are going to paint, do long passes over it. Make sure that you start your sweet 1 foot before it and 1 foot after it - that way you won't pile paint onto it.

Pew Pew Helicopters

It's true, yes. But I think it's of no use. Come on, would you be looking at the SSD rather than the monitor? You'd regret it :D. Some (like me) just put the SSD,and then forget about it. No one always looks at the SSD :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

If your ssd has a plastic cover around it, than paint it with vinyl dye. Seriously, it's about 10 times easier to work with, and way better. It costs a little bit more, but it's so worth it. Just don't buy spraypaint unless you're painting metal. 

You could have a custom sticker made for it. Don't void the warranty, and if you mess it up, you can just take it off and try again. 

Whoa...my bad 120gb Corsair, not 240... :blink:

It's true, yes. But I think it's of no use. Come on, would you be looking at the SSD rather than the monitor? You'd regret it :D. Some (like me) just put the SSD,and then forget about it. No one always looks at the SSD :D

My point of view on that is after spending this much cash on these parts, of course I want to see them. The value will show in experience of course, but to me I take pride in my first build and want to display it to myself everyday. So, color is important. Later on down the road, I bet money I wont think twice about what any of this looks like and will just be happy it runs. But for now.....

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

I bought a bottle of spray paint for cars, which is intended to be used for brake blocks and such. I used it to paint various parts of my PC. It worked very well on metal parts. I also painted my HDD and SSD, just not over the little sheet with info, the stuff that's written on it. (that's what's important for warranty. It also says on the note: warranty void if damaged or removed. Technically you're not damaging the sticker, so...)

lay a piece of papar over your drive and draw the shapes of what you don't want to color. Cut them out and use some glue, that's easily removable and doesn't stick too much, to attach them to the drive. I used some stuff called fixo-gum it's used in scale modeling for example.

I only painted the top side of my SSD, so i used lots of tape and papaer to cover the sides, especially the connectors of my SSD. The tape has to be attached perfectly and completeley smooth, so there are no bulges, where color could run in.

then paint it carefully and evenly. I used only one layer of paint but I'd recommend at least two to get the best results, depending on the color you bought. Just experiment with it.

You can correct small blemishes with isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't do the trick, you've gotta move up to Acetone or somethin similar like ethyl acetate (in nail pollish remover). But be careful because there's a (small) chance that aggressive solvents also solve the plastic of the SSD and by that will leave a little mark. If you wanna be one the safe side, stick to isopropyl alcohol.

who cares...

I would just buy a sheet of adhesive backed vinyl. Lay the SSD on the backside of the vinyl (on the paper backing) and trace the shape. Then use a hobby knife to cut the vinyl, peel the backing and stick it on.

If you have access to plasti-dip you could use that. Plasti dip would be perfectly safe for something like an SSD. Plus you don't void any warranty and can remove it if you want. You also have a large selection of colors.

I have used it for many things in my computer and it works wonderfully

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Why isn't someone selling decals for SSD's on eBay already.

Like upload a design or buy a pre-designed sticker and Bam! turn a cheap SSD into a *semi* good looking one.