How much of a difference would Fibre Optic make for Gaming ?

Kokomo
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Main benefit of Fiber over Coax is reduced latency. Fiber is significantly faster at transmitting and receiving compared to Coax so you usually see a good drop in ping/latency in online games. If your PC is having trouble staying connected to your router and everything else is fine and good, then usually the problem will lie with the PC, and not the internet connection. 

Hi 

i  was just wondering how much better is fibre optic compared to normal broadband especially for gaming when using a wired connection? i have been having trouble with my PC with the connection and i think its the router so i was thinking about upgrading. I know it would be a better experience for general use but would it be worth it ?

Thanks for the help 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Main benefit of Fiber over Coax is reduced latency. Fiber is significantly faster at transmitting and receiving compared to Coax so you usually see a good drop in ping/latency in online games. If your PC is having trouble staying connected to your router and everything else is fine and good, then usually the problem will lie with the PC, and not the internet connection. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Comparing fiber to something like coax or DSL there is definitely lower latency but it also depends on how far away you are from the game server as to how much actual improvement you might see, if any.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

17 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

Hi 

i  was just wondering how much better is fibre optic compared to normal broadband especially for gaming when using a wired connection? i have been having trouble with my PC with the connection and i think its the router so i was thinking about upgrading. I know it would be a better experience for general use but would it be worth it ?

Thanks for the help 

Fibre optic is by far the superior option for gaming online, yes. Faster downloads and upload speeds and much lower ping. If you can afford it, go for it. If you're upgrading to fix your connection issues, just make sure it is a connection issue and not a hardware fault first!

47 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thanks well when most of us in the house use it and watch Netflix it does tend to slow down a fsir amount obviously and also downloads take a long time so was hoping it would improve that as well and i have tried everything with my pc and cant fix it so i dont know whay it would be. Thanks for the help will look into it further 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

37 minutes ago, Kokomo said:

Thanks well when most of us in the house use it and watch Netflix it does tend to slow down a fsir amount obviously and also downloads take a long time so was hoping it would improve that as well and i have tried everything with my pc and cant fix it so i dont know whay it would be. Thanks for the help will look into it further 

It wont help as if you have many devices watching netflix, downloading things etc.. you're being bottlenecked by your ISP connection and the bandwidth you're allotted. Best option may be to increase your package size to something larger to accommodate the needs. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card