PC turns off randomly multiple times like someone pulled the plug, then starts again like nothing happened (no error messages)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need help on a problem that's driving me nuts.

In case it might help here are some specs that might be relevant: i5-3570k (with Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO), Maximus V Gene, Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB, Corsair TX650 PSU, Samsung 840 SSD and a WD Caviar Black hard drive.

It's about a month now that the computer randomly and suddently shuts down like someone pulled the plug, then after a couple of seconds it turns on automatically and loads windows like nothing happened. No error message, no nothing.

I overclocked the components but that's not the problem (both because it's been overclocked since a long time before this problem occurred and because I tried removing every overclock).

How random is it? you might ask... well, sometimes it doesn't happen for days and days, sometimes once or twice a day, and some other times it shuts down every couple of minutes (I had to write this post quite a few times thanks to this issue).

Still, I haven't found a pattern to these crashes... It can happen while I'm watching a YT video, a minute after starting any game, or on anytime on idle.
It's not even a heat problem... I might play hours of BF4 or run Prime95 and not have this problem (and temps are really low, about 33°C on idle and 55-60°C @ 100% and 4.3GHz).

The only thing I have not tried out yet it's formatting the drives, cause I'm not sure it can be a software issue and frankly I have no time right now (I prefer not to anyway)

That's why I'm asking you guys, I hope you can help me.

I apologize if my English is not perfect (I'm from Italy), that's the best I can do.

Could be a PSU issue, although that would normally be associated with crashes at high-load. Could also run memtest86 (a bootable RAM-checking utility) just to be sure, since RAM problems can cause random crashes too.

Could be a PSU issue, although that would normally be associated with crashes at high-load. Could also run memtest86 (a bootable RAM-checking utility) just to be sure, since RAM problems can cause random crashes too.

I tried Windows memory Diagnostics, it seems there's no problem at all.

Maybe borrow another PSU from somewhere and test it for a while, see what happens. Otherwise take out the Cmos battery for 5 minutes, put it back, don't change anything in the bios and see how it boots. (your hard drive might reset back to IDE format in the bios just change that back to raid or whatever you were using when you installed windows onto that hard drive else it won't boot)

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Try Memtest86. It will do  more thorough test of the memory. Anything in windows will not work at the same level at it will.

Bad power supply or possibly a bad VRM. I had the same exact issue on my old computer but the power supply was old along with the bad capacitors around my mobo so I couldn't really tell what it was.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I had a similar issue and it was my motherboard, don't know what was wrong with it, it just decided to go sentient. 

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

Try Memtest86. It will do  more thorough test of the memory. Anything in windows will not work at the same level at it will.

I tried memtest: 0 errors.

this leaves 3 more possible solutions... PSU, Motherboard or most likely a Software problem, maybe corrupted files in Windows (even if I tried repairing corrupted files).

In fact I never noticed this reboot problem while on the UEFI/BIOS.

But can corrupted or damaged files turn off the computer like someone pulled the plug and not leave any error message?

I used memtest: 0 errors.

this leaves 3 more possible solutions... PSU, Motherboard or most likely a Software problem, maybe corrupted files in Windows (even if I tried repairing corrupted files).

In fact I never noticed this reboot problem while on the UEFI/BIOS.

But can corrupted or damaged files turn off the computer like someone pulled the plug and not leave any error message?

Try reinstalling windows.

To me, it sounds like your system is shorting out. If so, the PSU will turn off suddenly like it was unplugged.

Check your systems for any possible shorts (mobo standoffs, all connectors are in the right way.

If not try a different PSU.

Try reinstalling windows.

To me, it sounds like your system is shorting out. If so, the PSU will turn off suddenly like it was unplugged.

Check your systems for any possible shorts (mobo standoffs, all connectors are in the right way.

If not try a different PSU.

I cleaned and re-routed the whole system a couple weeks ago. There's nothing plugged poorly and all the cables are well isolated. However if there was any shorts, when it turns off automatically it should stay off if you don't touch anything; instead it reboots like nothing happened.

I should try another PSU but I don't have any spare one at the moment.

I'm trying a different PSU. So far so good...