EVGA PSU faulty again?

Gorange
Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
7 hours ago, Gorange said:

Thanks, what do you mean push the fan back? Like press on it with something? Sorry, I couldn't quite catch it..

No, I mean the point where the fan starts spinning.

Basically you force some air through the PSU and do some external/forced cooling.

Edit: also do you think that the loud fan has anything to do with the 'explosion'? An evga representative told me that my previous PSU had a mechanical problem and the fan should be silent and suggested an RMA, but the unit died before I got the answer. 

No, fan RPM only has to do with the fan used and the fan controller.

And on higher wattage PSU it is more probable to have a loud, ~3000rpm (or more) fan

Hello everyone, I was shopping for a new PSU (you might remember me asking about used power supplies). However I found a great deal on brand new EVGA 1300 G2 and ordered one. The problem is it had kind of loud fan, I thought it's normal for the unit so I used it, no questions asked. The first day I switched it to silent mode and the fan wasn't spinning (my pc should suck up around 650w while under load, so I'm pretty sure it should've spinned). The next day I decided to turn off the silent mode, because the unit was getting warm to touch. While playing Overwatch I head a loud pop and the PSU just stopped working. I RMA'd it with the store I got it from and one week later I got a brand new unit. However I feel like the fan is kind of on the loud side again. I'm wondering if the 'explosion' had something to do with the fan being loud? I'm kind of scared to use the PSU now, because if something happens again I'm not sure they'll RMA it again... 

I'll attach a video just in case. The quality is not the greatest, but you can hear the psu.  

I wouldn't have bought that PSU... But just leave it on silent.. 

This is what happens when you don't listen to people that know what they're talking about..

reference

On 4/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, seon123 said:

Definitely not the G2. A 1600W single rail PSU is just a bad idea to begin with. 

The exact same thing would have happened if they used a G2, as it's also a 1600W single rail PSU. 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

Look for another ~850-1000W PSU that supports multi rail instead. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:49 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Brand new one because you lose all or most of the warranty with most PSU.

Also the higher wattage EVGA units are really really loud. SO if you get a decently quiet VEGA64, the PSU will be far louder.

As for the two PSU; I'd get the straight power because multi rail, thus a bit safer if a MOSFET burns.

Cooler Master V1000 Platinum would be decent as well, though sadly only 2 Rails.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1 minute ago, ch3w2oy said:

I wouldn't have bought that PSU... But just leave it on silent.. 

This is what happens when you don't listen to people that know what they're talking about..

reference

Yeah, I guess you're right. Should've listened.. It was 50% off and I just ordered, I thought that if it has all those positive reviews it can't be that bad but ... Next time I should definitely listen to the community more...

5 minutes ago, Gorange said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Should've listened.. It was 50% off and I just ordered, I thought that if it has all those positive reviews it can't be that bad but ... Next time I should definitely listen to the community more...

Heyy, it happens..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I guess your best option is to ask them nicely to replace them with a different PSU because they keep blowing up.

Might cost you a bit of money, but it's better to spend it now than to get it replaced again and run the risk again that the PSU blows up AND risking damage to other components.

It's just not worth the risk. Ditch the PSU, accept your loss and get something that your pc deserves.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Those EVGA G2 units are known for being on the loud side when the fan is spinning. The 1300w uses a higher RPM fan (HA1425H12B-Z) than the other models, so is even louder than the rest in the series. Fan starts at 1100RPM or so, so it's probably always going to be noisy no matter what.
If it's still loud and noticeable on your replacement unit then maybe just return it and get something completely different.

image.png.6834512db1da641c78acc6af5dc42d1a.png
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_1300/6.html

1 hour ago, Gorange said:

While playing Overwatch I head a loud pop and the PSU just stopped working. I RMA'd it with the store I got it from and one week later I got a brand new unit. However I feel like the fan is kind of on the loud side again. I'm wondering if the 'explosion' had something to do with the fan being loud?

That shouldn't have anything to do with the fan, unless the fan wasn't working and something overheated. Sounds more like you just got a bad unit.

1 hour ago, Gorange said:

(my pc should suck up around 650w while under load, so I'm pretty sure it should've spinned)

What hardware?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 5/11/2019 at 5:09 AM, Spotty said:

Those EVGA G2 units are known for being on the loud side when the fan is spinning. The 1300w uses a higher RPM fan (HA1425H12B-Z) than the other models, so is even louder than the rest in the series. Fan starts at 1100RPM or so, so it's probably always going to be noisy no matter what.
If it's still loud and noticeable on your replacement unit then maybe just return it and get something completely different.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_1300/6.html

That shouldn't have anything to do with the fan, unless the fan wasn't working and something overheated. Sounds more like you just got a bad unit.

What hardware?

I'm currently using a 5960x with Rx 580 8gb. I'll be replacing the GPU soon, just waiting to see if Navi is any good. It should actually draw less than 650 but in any case it's not exceeding that I think. Do you have any idea at what temp/load the fan kicks in when ECO mode is on? 

@samcool55 I'll give them a call on Monday and see if they're willing to do that. 

14 minutes ago, Gorange said:

Do you have any idea at what temp/load the fan kicks in when ECO mode is on? 

Not actually sure. I think it's around 20-30% for the other EVGA G2/G3 models. Might be different for the high wattage models though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Gorange said:

I'm currently using a 5960x with Rx 580 8gb.

That's hardly 300W in reality w/o OC.

with OC, you might be able to push 400W, maybe 450...

It should actually draw less than 650 but in any case it's not exceeding that I think.

Yeah, its way less than that. at most 50% of that is pretty accurate, w/o OC

Do you have any idea at what temp/load the fan kicks in when ECO mode is on? 

Nope, not really.

But you could flip the switch on the back to make the fan run. But, well, its rather loud...

You might be able to push the Fan on a bit further back if you set up your case with negative air pressure and mount it on the bottom of your case with fan facing up. (Positive might also work though)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's hardly 300W in reality w/o OC.

with OC, you might be able to push 400W, maybe 450...

Yeah, its way less than that. at most 50% of that is pretty accurate, w/o OC

Nope, not really.

But you could flip the switch on the back to make the fan run. But, well, its rather loud...

You might be able to push the Fan on a bit further back if you set up your case with negative air pressure and mount it on the bottom of your case with fan facing up. (Positive might also work though)...

Thanks, what do you mean push the fan back? Like press on it with something? Sorry, I couldn't quite catch it..

I should listen to you more when it comes to power supplies, haha.

Edit: also do you think that the loud fan has anything to do with the 'explosion'? An evga representative told me that my previous PSU had a mechanical problem and the fan should be silent and suggested an RMA, but the unit died before I got the answer. 

No, I mean the point where the fan starts spinning.

Basically you force some air through the PSU and do some external/forced cooling.

No, fan RPM only has to do with the fan used and the fan controller.

And on higher wattage PSU it is more probable to have a loud, ~3000rpm (or more) fan

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

What PSUs have 3000 RPM or more fans. 

Just wondering.

47 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What PSUs have 3000 RPM or more fans. 

Just wondering.

I was saying ~3000RPM fans (according to spec of the fan).

And since you're from Corsair, the HX Silver (750/850) with the Yate Loon D14BH were in that area.

https://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=30341

(Later ones switched to Hong Hua for whatever reason).

Or the old AX1200 non i (wich was rather loud in idle at around 1250rpm, according to sweclockers)

Both use the Yate Loon D14BH-12 wich is rated for up to 2800rpm -> http://www.yateloon.com/en/product-38839/DC-FAN-SERIES-140x140x25.html

Seasonic 1050W was actually measured with close to 3000rpm (at ~2700RPM), though "only" 120mm:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/Snow_Silent-1050/5.html

Some other 1kW+ units use 2500rpm fans or something around that.