GTX 1070, i7 6700k PSU

Hi guys, 

So I'm looking to upgrade my budget build to a full on gaming build but not breaking the bank. I've already made my decisions so no one critisize me I'm choosing an i7 6700k and a gtx 1070. I've currently got a 500 watt power supply and it does the treat. If I were to go ahead with these upgrades, would I need to upgrade my power supply. If so how many Watts would it have to be? 

One Love.

ATB☯️

Pc part picker says the i7 6700k and 1070 will use around 240 watts. If you overclock they will use a bit more, but you should be fine.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Pc part picker says the i7 6700k and 1070 will use around 240 watts. If you overclock they will use a bit more, but you should be fine.

Cheers buddy :)

One Love.

ATB☯️

500w is more than enough for a 6700k and GTX 1070. Power consumption is probably more like 300w or less for that system.
What model PSU is it though? If it's an older, poor quality unit then you may still want to replace it since you're upgrading the rest of your hardware.

37 minutes ago, d4yh said:

I've already made my decisions so no one critisize me I'm choosing an i7 6700k and a gtx 1070.

What are you upgrading from? Not to criticise your choice, but if you don't already have a Z170/Z270 motherboard then you may want to look at other stuff instead unless you're getting the motherboard and CPU for a really good price.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This is confusing. What is your planned build, the 6700K or the 8700K?

5 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

How is it confusing they said the 6700k in both the title and post.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Because in his post he lists the 8700K as a planned upgrade.

That's their signature not the post.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So he is planning on two upgrades, the 6700 now and a a new MB and the 8700 later, or he changed his mind and decided to go with the 6700 instead of the 8700? 2400mhz RAM?

36 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

6700k I need to change my planned upgrade as I made a new decision. 

One Love.

ATB☯️

17 minutes ago, d4yh said:

6700k I need to change my planned upgrade as I made a new decision. 

Thanks! Are you buying used? What is your budget? Maybe we can find something better.

Just now, Bearmann said:

Thanks! Are you buying used? What is your budget? Maybe we can find something better.

I'm buying new. 

One Love.

ATB☯️

Just now, d4yh said:

I'm buying new. 

1 minute ago, Bearmann said:

I'm very computer savy and I know alot about parts the 6700k is perfect for my budget, I was going to go up to 8th gen 8700k but I decided thats way out my budget and will take forever to save up for. I appreciate your help though buddy so thanks :)

One Love.

ATB☯️

47 minutes ago, d4yh said:

I'm very computer savy and I know alot about parts the 6700k is perfect for my budget, I was going to go up to 8th gen 8700k but I decided thats way out my budget and will take forever to save up for. I appreciate your help though buddy so thanks :)

If you were computer savvy you wouldn't be buying a 6700K unless you are getting it for a stupidly low price. 

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

If you were computer savvy you wouldn't be buying a 6700K unless you are getting it for a stupidly low price. 

Bro I'm getting a 6700k cos I'm not saving up for an i7 8700k. Or mabye I should buy an 8700k idk ill see if I can find some good offers. 

One Love.

ATB☯️

3 hours ago, d4yh said:

would I need to upgrade my power supply.

No, but if I were you I'd go for something with 6 cores.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

7 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

true.

One Love.

ATB☯️

8 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

2 hours ago, Bearmann said:

2 hours ago, Bearmann said:

So he is planning on two upgrades, the 6700 now and a a new MB and the 8700 later, or he changed his mind and decided to go with the 6700 instead of the 8700? 2400mhz RAM?

3 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

3 hours ago, Bearmann said:

3 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

3 hours ago, Bearmann said:

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

500w is more than enough for a 6700k and GTX 1070. Power consumption is probably more like 300w or less for that system.
What model PSU is it though? If it's an older, poor quality unit then you may still want to replace it since you're upgrading the rest of your hardware.

What are you upgrading from? Not to criticise your choice, but if you don't already have a Z170/Z270 motherboard then you may want to look at other stuff instead unless you're getting the motherboard and CPU for a really good price.

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

A 1070 and a 6700k aren't likely using 500ws even, but what matters more is the psu quality.  So, knowing the exact model would help.

I made up my mind everyone ima go for a gtx 1070 with an i7 8700k i was looking at a 6700k on ebay for a small price but for the extra bit of performance I think the 8700k will do me good. It might break the bank but oh well who cares :D

One Love.

ATB☯️

Really, you not letting anyone here help you. If you would list your current build plus your budget we may be able get you a nice build within budget. Why don't you let us try? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There are many options besides the 6700K and the 8700K. I assume that you don't mind overclocking. Would you consider an AMD build?

22 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Really, you not letting anyone here help you. If you would list your current build plus your budget we may be able get you a nice build within budget. Why don't you let us try? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There are many options besides the 6700K and the 8700K. I assume that you don't mind overclocking. Would you consider an AMD build?

I can't man im sorry but I have the gigabyte h310m s2h it only supports intel cpu's. I can max it out at 8th gen i7. 

One Love.

ATB☯️

25 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Current Build (don't judge it did do me perfect and now i want to upgrade).

Pentium Gold g5400 @ 3.7ghz

1x8gb Stick of corsair lpx 2400mhz

GTX 1050 Ti

240gb ssd

1tb hdd

gigabyte h310m s2h mobo

hope this helps.

One Love.

ATB☯️

23 minutes ago, d4yh said:

Current Build (don't judge it did do me perfect and now i want to upgrade).

Pentium Gold g5400 @ 3.7ghz

1x8gb Stick of corsair lpx 2400mhz

GTX 1050 Ti

240gb ssd

1tb hdd

gigabyte h310m s2h mobo

hope this helps.

Now we are getting somewhere! No one is judging you :)  We are trying to get you the best build for your money. What's the budget? The 1070 is very expensive in the US. We can probably get a better GPU for less money.

5 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Now we are getting somewhere! No one is judging you :)  We are trying to get you the best build for your money. What's the budget? The 1070 is very expensive in the US. We can probably get a better GPU for less money.

Nothing above 500 or 600 would be ok. 

One Love.

ATB☯️

41 minutes ago, d4yh said:

I can't man im sorry but I have the gigabyte h310m s2h it only supports intel cpu's. I can max it out at 8th gen i7. 

Did you plan on putting a 6700k in that motherboard initially?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Did you plan on putting a 6700k in that motherboard initially?

Well yeah cos i was looking on ebay for 8700k's and found a 6700k i thought why not.

One Love.

ATB☯️