Galaxy S8+ Pie update issues

AntonChigurh

So I recently purchased a galaxy s8+ after my old s7 went kaput. Ever since I got it there's been a persistent android version update notification on the screen. I've tried updating multiple times but it just won't take. At first I was confused, but I've since ascertained the source of the problem. Apparently if you're too far behind on android updates the phone will refuse to update normally and will require you to update it manually. Most people recommend SmartSwitch for this but I cannot use SmartSwitch, as my only functioning computer right now is a chromebook. I would like to find a way to update my phone without smartswitch as this is seriously annoying, seeing as it prevents my phone from fast charging as well.

Tl;dr: OP's galaxy s8+ won't update and he needs to find a way to make the update stick without using smartswitch

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

17 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

So I recently purchased a galaxy s8+ after my old s7 went kaput. Ever since I got it there's been a persistent android version update notification on the screen. I've tried updating multiple times but it just won't take. At first I was confused, but I've since ascertained the source of the problem. Apparently if you're too far behind on android updates the phone will refuse to update normally and will require you to update it manually. Most people recommend SmartSwitch for this but I cannot use SmartSwitch, as my only functioning computer right now is a chromebook. I would like to find a way to update my phone without smartswitch as this is seriously annoying, seeing as it prevents my phone from fast charging as well.

Tl;dr: OP's galaxy s8+ won't update and he needs to find a way to make the update stick without using smartswitch

You can't be too far behind Android updates cos the S8 was just on Oreo before this. Unless you mean your S8+ is on 7.0 Nougat in which case you probably should try updating to 8.0 Oreo first.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You can't be too far behind Android updates cos the S8 was just on Oreo before this. Unless you mean your S8+ is on 7.0 Nougat in which case you probably should try updating to 8.0 Oreo first.

I'm already on Oreo. I don't know if being too far behind is really the issue but when i scoured tomshardware and the samsung forums thats what everyone else seemed to say

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, AntonChigurh said:

I'm already on Oreo. I don't know if being too far behind is really the issue but when i scoured tomshardware and the samsung forums thats what everyone else seemed to say

Updating from Oreo to Pie should be straightforward.

If possible though I would re-try download the update possibly on a different wifi network or whatever. The update file itself could have gotten corrupted.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Updating from Oreo to Pie should be straightforward.

If possible though I would re-try download the update possibly on a different wifi network or whatever. The update file itself could have gotten corrupted.

I honestly have zero clue why it's acting up the way it is.

I'll try your suggestion and come back with the results

Edit: just looked at the update file. Now i'm even more confused as this doesnt seem to be the pie update

Screenshot_20190509-201225_Software update.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

snip

I'd just update to that and then go to the Pie update from there

16 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

I honestly have zero clue why it's acting up the way it is.

I'll try your suggestion and come back with the results

Edit: just looked at the update file. Now i'm even more confused as this doesnt seem to be the pie update

--SNIP--

Spot on - that's a security update. You'll want to install that first, then see if there's an OTA update to get you to Pie. Mmm... ?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Well I finally fixed it. Turns out all I had to do was boot it in safe mode and install the update through that. Thanks for all the help guys

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540