Can I use a 3.5mm splitter to merge 2 audio sources into a single speaker?

00RaZoR11

I'm curious if this would work, and whether it's dangerous for my speaker or not. I would like to plug a 3.5mm splitter into the speaker input, and connect 2 different sources to it.
I have 2 PCs and 1 speaker set, and I would like to get sound from both at the same time, so I could watch youtube from the weaker system while playing games on the other. The secondary monitor doesn't have speakers in it, only a 3.5mm audio out.

To be more exhaustive: I have 2 PCs available, one with a 7700k and the other with an fx8320, a 60hz monitor and a 144hz. Basically I want to get youtube's load off from the 7700k system to get a few more frames. Also it's kind of annoying when a 60fps video starts playing on the secondary screen, the game on the primary screen starts to stutter like crazy. I have to alt-tab and set the video quality to 480p. I have solved the issue of sharing the keyboard and mouse, both PCs have internet, now I just need audio from the FX system.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

17 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

I'm curious if this would work, and whether it's dangerous for my speaker or not. I would like to plug a 3.5mm splitter into the speaker input, and connect 2 different sources to it.
I have 2 PCs and 1 speaker set, and I would like to get sound from both at the same time, so I could watch youtube from the weaker system while playing games on the other. The secondary monitor doesn't have speakers in it, only a 3.5mm audio out.

To be more exhaustive: I have 2 PCs available, one with a 7700k and the other with an fx8320, a 60hz monitor and a 144hz. Basically I want to get youtube's load off from the 7700k system to get a few more frames. Also it's kind of annoying when a 60fps video starts playing on the secondary screen, the game on the primary screen starts to stutter like crazy. I have to alt-tab and set the video quality to 480p. I have solved the issue of sharing the keyboard and mouse, both PCs have internet, now I just need audio from the FX system.

You could but it's not recommended. I've done it caused some issues like grounding and made a little t of electrical noiseotherwise worked ok. Much better to just get a  cheap little mixer.

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

You could but it's not recommended. I've done it caused some issues like grounding and made a little t of electrical noiseotherwise worked ok. Much better to just get a  cheap little mixer.

Thanks for the info!

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

...if the output impedance of one amplifier is near zero, how much current will get sunk through it compared to the load?

Circuit Simulation

This is a bad idea, one that can destroy amplifiers without protection circuits or large output resistors – it's similar to shorting both devices. With a PC it might not break anything only because the current is so limited. Then again, I could see some of the simple op-amp buffered motherboards potentially killing each other's audio outputs.

4 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

I really would not do this.. you would join the two ground's together and cause humming, you might also cause issues like @Nimrodor said. The output on one pc might put voltage into the output of the other pc which can fry cheap components.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 5/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, Nimrodor said:

This is a bad idea, one that can destroy amplifiers without protection circuits or large output resistors – it's similar to shorting both devices. With a PC it might not break anything only because the current is so limited. Then again, I could see some of the simple op-amp buffered motherboards potentially killing each other's audio outputs.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, Derkoli said:

I really would not do this.. you would join the two ground's together and cause humming, you might also cause issues like @Nimrodor said. The output on one pc might put voltage into the output of the other pc which can fry cheap components.

I didnt think the signals would reach the other mobo. Putting either mobo in harm's way isn't worth it for me, I think I'll get a mixer. Or upgrade to ryzen 3000.
Thank you for your input!

5 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

I didnt think the signals would reach the other mobo. Putting either mobo in harm's way isn't worth it for me, I think I'll get a mixer. Or upgrade to ryzen 3000.
Thank you for your input!

as soon as you send an analogue signal down a cable it goes wherever it can lol. you can fry an amplifier so easily if you input voltage into its output

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)