Electric Screwdriver for Laptop Repairs

spadz93

I work in an educational environment and often have to take apart and fix around 10-15 chromebooks a day. I am looking to get an electric screwdriver with low enough torque so that there is at least a lesser chance of damaging/stripping any screws. Does anyone have any recommendations?

*Please don't comment in here saying "just do it by hand". I'm not repairing just one or two laptops a day, and quite frankly I'm not interested in the cramping that follows after doing so many by hand.

5 minutes ago, spadz93 said:

I work in an educational environment and often have to take apart and fix around 10-15 chromebooks a day. I am looking to get an electric screwdriver with low enough torque so that there is at least a lesser chance of damaging/stripping any screws. Does anyone have any recommendations?

*Please don't comment in here saying "just do it by hand". I'm not repairing just one or two laptops a day, and quite frankly I'm not interested in the cramping that follows after doing so many by hand.

I use this one https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Precision-Screwdriver-Adjustable-Rechargeable/dp/B074SW6H6S

Never stripped or damaged any screws so far, but I don't use it every day. 

Just now, spadz93 said:

Noted. This will be used every Monday-Friday

Then you just get something similar but a bit pricier, there are better ones, but I never bothered because I use it once a few weeks or so.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Then you just get something similar but a bit pricier, there are better ones, but I never bothered because I use it once a few weeks or so.

My worry is whether or not the more expensive ones are respectively more powerful or not. I'll keep this one in mind, but hopefully more people chime in so I have more recommendations from first hand experience

18 minutes ago, spadz93 said:

My worry is whether or not the more expensive ones are respectively more powerful or not. I'll keep this one in mind, but hopefully more people chime in so I have more recommendations from first hand experience

This is ofc easily checked on the manufacters page right though with the way these instruments are designed i think they will take into accordance that the most power used will be with screws either corroded or some other way that increases their resistance removal which can usually only be countered with using power manually on this scale, type of screw size enviroment etc... i think if you use them a lot your focus should be more on the battery pack used then the amount of power this electronic screwdriver can release in a safe way

1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

This is ofc easily checked on the manufacters page right though with the way these instruments are designed i think they will take into accordance that the most power used will be with screws either corroded or some other way that increases their resistance removal which can usually only be countered with using power manually on this scale, type of screw size enviroment etc... i think if you use them a lot your focus should be more on the battery pack used then the amount of power this electronic screwdriver can release in a safe way

So, are you saying I should simply look for one with low voltage? I have tools for bigger jobs, just not for smaller ones like this

Usually 3.6 to 4 volts are not that powerful.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You mean a drill? 

13 minutes ago, fpo said:

You mean a drill? 

5 hours ago, spadz93 said:

low enough torque so that there is at least a lesser chance of damaging/stripping any screws

A drill will destroy those screws, especially in a plastic chassis, never mind the weight, size, and cost of a decent one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

A drill will destroy those screws, especially in a plastic chassis, never mind the weight, size, and cost of a decent one.

You can adjust the torque on drills

edit

if a relative has one they might be willing to loan it to you. I’ve used a drill with extraordinarily low torque set. 

Just now, fpo said:

You can adjust the torque on drills

I know you can. But even if that lowers the torque enough to work for OP, it doesn't make the drill any smaller or lighter.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, spadz93 said:

Look up ES120 or ES121 on eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress and the likes. Plenty of Youtube-reviews on that as well. ES121 is lower speed, higher torque and ES120 is higher speed, less torque.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

These aren't cheap but they make tearing down lappies a snap and are high quality. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4