Having a 8086k in an ITX?

Go to solution Solved by OLU,
On 5/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Rigg said:

Go with whatever cooler you think is best. I'll check in with those measurements when I get a chance just in case. I'm not sure if I've got much more to offer for now. Good luck with the build.

ha, found the best solution, i'm a guy goes unusual ways, i'm now getting an aio liquid cooler and drill 2 holes on the case and fit it outside of the case, and it still fit in my drawer after installing radiator externally, it would overclock very well i think

i already have a i7 8086k and a RTX 2080, but no other parts, is it possible to fit those into an ITX?

bought the cpu too early because it sais limited edition, thinking if they will run out, and i thought i have CPU, then i gotta get a graphics card, so i bought the graphics card for the PC, and also for external GPU for my macbook pro, then i dont know what to do with those, because i dont have enough space for a ATX, i decided to get an ITX. so my plan is for mother board, i would get a MSI Z370I AC, Trident z non rgb for the ram, cryorig c7 copper for cooling, cooler master 800W psu, and for the case, it would be silverstone RV Z03. 

The problem with me right now is the size of the graphics card and the overclocking, i'm going to buy Z370 just because overclocking, so what i have problem with is the power and cooling, because i'm afraid of 800W is not enough for super power consuming GPU and overclock the CPU, also afraid of if the low profile cooler will cool the CPU well. the size of  RTX 2080 is too big so i think it will not fit into a ITX case, so should i just return the GPU and buy a RX 590 because it has the good performance, smaller size and have way lower price than this nvidia GPU.

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX DDR4 4000Mhz 8GBx2 @4266Mhz
  • GPU
    GIGABYTE GTX 1660 OC Dual Fan @1800Mhz + RTX 2080(solving thermal issue)
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
    10TB Seagate External+4TB Seagate Barracuda+2TB SAMSUNG QVO SSD+256GB Intel 760P+16GB Intel Optane
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cryorig C7 custom Full Copper Graphene Coating + 2x3000RPM 120mm + 2x1500RPM 120mm

The raven Z03 will limit your cpu overclocking capabilities significantly. That was designed when i7s were still 4 cores and 8 threads. 

I would recommend going with something like the NZXT H200i where you can fit a 240 AIO in the front. If you wanted smaller I would go with something like the Ncase M1 with a 240 AIO. The N case is also like $200 by the way... if you go with something like the N Case you need to plan your build very carefully. 

19 hours ago, Sorenson said:

The raven Z03 will limit your cpu overclocking capabilities significantly. That was designed when i7s were still 4 cores and 8 threads. 

I would recommend going with something like the NZXT H200i where you can fit a 240 AIO in the front. If you wanted smaller I would go with something like the Ncase M1 with a 240 AIO. The N case is also like $200 by the way... if you go with something like the N Case you need to plan your build very carefully. 

H200i is too big that it will not fit under my table very well, Ncase does meet the requirement, but all af them ran out in all website and all region, what do you feel abou the Fractal Design Case FD-CA-NODE-202-BK, will frequency downgrade on this?

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
    10TB Seagate External+4TB Seagate Barracuda+2TB SAMSUNG QVO SSD+256GB Intel 760P+16GB Intel Optane
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cryorig C7 custom Full Copper Graphene Coating + 2x3000RPM 120mm + 2x1500RPM 120mm

16 minutes ago, OLU said:

H200i is too big that it will not fit under my table very well, Ncase does meet the requirement, but all af them ran out in all website and all region, what do you feel abou the Fractal Design Case FD-CA-NODE-202-BK, will frequency downgrade on this?

If you de-lid it and under-volt it you might be okay at 4.7ghz. Better off than you would be with an 8700k anyway. 40 mm exhaust fans custom mounted to the mobo chamber air vents helps cpu temps. You'll also want slim 120's under the GPU. You'l probably want to under-volt your GPU as well. Using a blower card will be louder but will be better for CPU temps. The copper version of the C7 cooler doesn't work any better than the regular and sounds like a jet engine. You can fit a taller heatsink if you remove the top dust filter.  If going horizontal you need to add taller feet to not choke airflow to the GPU.

20 hours ago, OLU said:

i already have a i7 8086k and a RTX 2080, but no other parts, is it possible to fit those into an ITX?

bought the cpu too early because it sais limited edition, thinking if they will run out, and i thought i have CPU, then i gotta get a graphics card, so i bought the graphics card for the PC, and also for external GPU for my macbook pro, then i dont know what to do with those, because i dont have enough space for a ATX, i decided to get an ITX. so my plan is for mother board, i would get a MSI Z370I AC, Trident z non rgb for the ram, cryorig c7 copper for cooling, cooler master 800W psu, and for the case, it would be silverstone RV Z03. 

The problem with me right now is the size of the graphics card and the overclocking, i'm going to buy Z370 just because overclocking, so what i have problem with is the power and cooling, because i'm afraid of 800W is not enough for super power consuming GPU and overclock the CPU, also afraid of if the low profile cooler will cool the CPU well. the size of  RTX 2080 is too big so i think it will not fit into a ITX case, so should i just return the GPU and buy a RX 590 because it has the good performance, smaller size and have way lower price than this nvidia GPU.

800 watts is more than enough for a 2080 and an overclocked  8086. You'll need a high wattage SFX PSU which is super expensive if using the node 202. You'll likely not be able to achieve more than the stock all core turbo regardless because of cooling limitations. If the CPU cooling isn't the limitation the VRM cooling might be in a tiny ITX case. That CPU would be wasted on pretty much anything below the 2080/1080 ti/ Radeon VII tier. In fact if running 1440p resolution or more that CPU would probably be wasted on anything but a 2080 ti or titan. Trying to fit this type of hardware into a tiny space is going to be a thermal and/or noise nightmare. At least without moderate compromises on performance. 

49 minutes ago, OLU said:

The Node 202 is a great case. I used it in my last build before switching to the H200i. You will be limited to pretty much the noctua low profile cpu cooler, and should definitely get a modular SFX not SFXL power supply. You will also want a gpu that is only two slots that way you can but in two 120mm fans to blow directly on the gpu. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

The Node 202 is a great case. I used it in my last build before switching to the H200i. You will be limited to pretty much the noctua low profile cpu cooler, and should definitely get a modular SFX not SFXL power supply. You will also want a gpu that is only two slots that way you can but in two 120mm fans to blow directly on the gpu. 

I also like this case. He can fit a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 (depending on mobo clearance) or Noctua NH-L9x65 without the top dust filter. He'll need all the help he can get to cool that monster. 

1 hour ago, Rigg said:

800 watts is more than enough for a 2080 and an overclocked  8086. You'll need a high wattage SFX PSU which is super expensive if using the node 202. You'll likely not be able to achieve more than the stock all core turbo regardless because of cooling limitations. If the CPU cooling isn't the limitation the VRM cooling might be in a tiny ITX case. That CPU would be wasted on pretty much anything below the 2080/1080 ti/ Radeon VII tier. In fact if running 1440p resolution or more that CPU would probably be wasted on anything but a 2080 ti or titan. Trying to fit this type of hardware into a tiny space is going to be a thermal and/or noise nightmare. At least without moderate compromises on performance. 

thx, i'll try that, because i already wasted tons of money buying 8086K instead of buying a 8700k, also wasted on buying a 2080 the sound is not a problem because i got used to the jet engine sound of my MBP while i'm 3D rendering

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

2 minutes ago, OLU said:

thx, i'll try that, because i already wasted tons of money buying 8086K instead of buying a 8700k, also wasted on buying a 2080 the sound is not a problem because i got used to the jet engine sound of my MBP while i'm 3D rendering

i'll return the 2080 and buy a cheaper GPU so i can save the budget to buy the node 202 setup

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

You could probably make that setup work with the 2080. You'll just have to sacrifice a bit of performance for noise and or thermals. You were already doing that with a MBP and an EGPU anyway. Unless you are returning the 2080 purely to free up cash for the rest of the system.

The 8086 will be better than a 8700k in this scenario since it will run cooler at the same clocks and voltages. I guess I assumed this was a gaming setup. I probably wouldn't be able to give solid advice on 3d rendering. I'd assume the requirements would be similar to a gaming rig.  I'm also assuming you'll better utilize a more powerful CPU than you would in a standard gaming setup. Is this a dual use system or strictly for pro use? I'd probably not under-volt/overclock if doing professional work. 

22 hours ago, OLU said:

There is no situation in which any C7 variant can sustain an overclock on anything more substantial than a Ryzen 3 for any length of time. It's designed as a quieter stock replacement, not to handle an overclocked 8086K. You cooling and airflow will be the limiting factors in your overclock.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There is no situation in which any C7 variant can sustain an overclock on anything more substantial than a Ryzen 3 for any length of time. It's designed as a quieter stock replacement, not to handle an overclocked 8086K. You cooling and airflow will be the limiting factors in your overclock.

I built a 1700x system in the node 202 with the standard c7. I left it stock and it only hit 76c peak in 8 hrs of realbench. I agree with the rest though. 

29 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

but is therer any way to cool a 8086k with a low profile cooler without losing frequency?

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

19 hours ago, Rigg said:

-snip-

this is going to be a gaming or  light task setup, because ITX has better portability than ATX, i'm going to move alot. For work, i'm planning to buy a Mac pro 2009, upgrade everything, and install bootcamp like i did to my MBP

19 hours ago, OLU said:

but is therer any way to cool a 8086k with a low profile cooler without losing frequency?

i think c7 is the most effective cooler for this setup, because i can't really find out some more stronger low profile coolers that has ability to cool a 8086k

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

19 hours ago, OLU said:

You should be able to match the stock all core if you do everything you can. You may have to resort to de-liding and using liquid metal though. Intel doesn't list all core turbo in specs. Its usually 300 mhz low than the max boost (single core) they list which in this case is 5.0. It really never hits that 5.0 ghz in any meaningful way when stock. You need to enable multi core enhancement or overclock to get all cores to 5ghz.  Sustained all core should be in line with the 9900k which is 4.7ghz. You should be able to get close to this at a pretty low voltage and reasonable temps. Anything above 4.5 ghz will be fine honestly. You won't lose too much over stock. It just won't matter that much. Especially if you downgrade the GPU or game at higher resolutions. It won't make a bit of difference in that scenario. 

Re-read my previous posts. I've built in this case previously and have parts collected to do another one in the very near future. I've done a lot of research on this. 

22 hours ago, Rigg said:

If you de-lid it and under-volt it you might be okay at 4.7ghz. Better off than you would be with an 8700k anyway. 40 mm exhaust fans custom mounted to the mobo chamber air vents helps cpu temps. You'll also want slim 120's under the GPU. You'l probably want to under-volt your GPU as well. Using a blower card will be louder but will be better for CPU temps. The copper version of the C7 cooler doesn't work any better than the regular and sounds like a jet engine. You can fit a taller heatsink if you remove the top dust filter.  If going horizontal you need to add taller feet to not choke airflow to the GPU.

21 hours ago, Rigg said:

I also like this case. He can fit a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 (depending on mobo clearance) or Noctua NH-L9x65 without the top dust filter. He'll need all the help he can get to cool that monster. 

What resolution do you plan on playing games at? Do you have a high refresh rate monitor? You might be better off selling the 8086k and keeping the GPU as long as it fits in the case. Someone will probably give you at least what you payed for that if it's still new in box. You might be able to get more CPU for your money in a couple of months when ryzen 3000 drops. Are you from the US? 

2 minutes ago, Rigg said:

You should be able to match the stock all core if you do everything you can. You may have to resort to de-liding and using liquid metal though. Intel doesn't list all core turbo in specs. Its usually 300 mhz low than the max boost (single core) they list which in this case is 5.0. It really never hits that 5.0 ghz in any meaningful way when stock. You need to enable multi core enhancement or overclock to get all cores to 5ghz.  Sustained all core should be in line with the 9900k which is 4.7ghz. You should be able to get close to this at a pretty low voltage and reasonable temps. Anything above 4.5 ghz will be fine honestly. You won't lose too much over stock. It just won't matter that much. Especially if you downgrade the GPU or game at higher resolutions. It won't make a bit of difference in that scenario. 

Re-read my previous posts. I've built in this case previously and have parts collected to do another one in the very near future. I've done a lot of research on this. 

thx, i'll try to delid, also, i have seen sombody used Thermalright AXP 100 to cool a 9900k in the node202

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

So I've actually put an overclocked 8086K in a node 202 before. Go with Asus's Z370i ITX motherboard, or the Z390i board for better VRM cooling.

At the time, I had a GTX 1080Ti FTW3 inside, but I'd only recommend the node 202 for this if you mod a vent for the GPU to exhaust from. Or just use a blower cooler and it'll exhaust fine.

I did use a scythe big shuriken, and after delidding the chip, 5.2ghz across all 6 cores was child's play.

I ran mine off a 600w corsair SF600. Unit hardly ever even ran its fan.

This chip IS possible to cram inside a small space!

2 minutes ago, Rigg said:

What resolution do you plan on playing games at? Do you have a high refresh rate monitor? You might be better off selling the 8086k and keeping the GPU as long as it fits in the case. Someone will probably give you at least what you payed for that if it's still new in box. You might be able to get more CPU for your money in a couple of months when ryzen 3000 drops. Are you from the US? 

i'm using asus 4k 1ms display 60hz, think it is not bad for a 4k, i will usually play at 2560x1600 om my MBP on all lowest settings, i already opened the box and ran some tests on my friend's computer, results are almost the same as a 8700k, i'm in vancouver

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

This is a clear example of an Intel zombie. You should've went with an 8700k for $145 cheaper(8086k is ~42% more expensive than 8700k) for only 5% increase in performance (less if overclocked) 

Or you could've saved even more money and got a 2700x with a nice RGB stock cooler and wouldn't notice a difference in real world scenarios.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So I've actually put an overclocked 8086K in a node 202 before. Go with Asus's Z370i ITX motherboard, or the Z390i board for better VRM cooling.

At the time, I had a GTX 1080Ti FTW3 inside

I did use a scythe big shuriken, and after delidding the chip, 5.2ghz across all 6 cores was child's play.

I ran mine off a 600w corsair SF600. Unit hardly ever even ran its fan.

This chip IS possible to cram inside a small space!

the asus one ran out of stok, the only z370 left are from MSI, also, asus strix motherboard's ACwifi will stuck with the cooler so the wifi module has to be re,oved

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

4 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

This is a clear example of an Intel zombie. You should've went with an 8700k for $145 cheaper(8086k is ~42% more expensive than 8700k) for only 5% increase in performance (less if overclocked) 

Or you could've saved even more money and got a 2700x with a nice RGB stock cooler and wouldn't notice a difference in real world scenarios.

this 8086k i have is a good one for overclocking, it rushed to 5366mhz on my friend's $5000 setup

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

1 minute ago, OLU said:

the asus one ran out of stok, the only z370 left are from MSI, also, asus strix motherboard's ACwifi will stuck with the cooler so the wifi module has to be re,oved

I had no clearance issues with mine and a scythe big shuriken, they fit totally fine

Here's one from Walmart's online sales: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Rog-Strix-Z370-I-Gaming-Motherboard-ROG-STRIX-Z370-I-GAMING/915510114

11 minutes ago, OLU said:

i'm using asus 4k 1ms display 60hz, think it is not bad for a 4k, i will usually play at 2560x1600 om my MBP on all lowest settings, i already opened the box and ran some tests on my friend's computer, results are almost the same as a 8700k, i'm in vancouver

You should sell that CPU and keep the GPU. You'll be completely GPU bound at 4k and you only have a 60 hz monitor anyway. You'll need to downscale in most games to even hit 60 hz.  The CPU does jack shit at 4k. An r5 1600 will game as well as an 8086 at 4k. Those are $80 here right now. 

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I had no clearance issues with mine and a scythe big shuriken, they fit totally finetrix-Z370-I-Gaming-Motherboard-ROG-STRIX-Z370-I-GAMING/915510114

Here's one from Walmart's online sales: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Rog-S

this is 275CAD when i switch it to canadian walmart, which is about 60CAD more expansive than the MSI one with wifi.

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

Either the Monitor or the CPU needs to go. Unless you keep the CPU, GPU, and go with a 144hz 1440p monitor this config is bordering on retarded. Don't even think about running an RX 590 with an 8086K and a 4k monitor.