The Best PSU rated over 1200W and is platinum

Red Harbinger
Go to solution Solved by Faa,

The AX1200i is a crap power supply, the hybrid fan control seems to be designed in a few minutes. In a hot environment with speedstep etc disabled that will make the psu hit 45° the fan ramps agressively up to its nearly max speed after that the fan turns off. Happening like 5 times a minute and no I'm not having it about the fan ramping to its full speed when starting your system. You had to use Corsair link to set the fan at a fixed speed and that's just ridiculous. The I series need some airflow while Seasonic's hybrid fan control is just perfect. The voltage regulation/ripple & efficiency aren't that great.

Atm the best PSU is just the evga 1300 G2/1000 G2 & 1000 P2 with Superflower as OEM. Ripple/voltage reg/efficiency between 1300 G2 & Seasonic 1000W P: http://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/625149/faithh7/power-supplies-comparison-table-6

It's only 190$ thats like 100$ cheaper than a Seasonic 1250w

ok guys so im back to ask about PSUs now because i have had some other people in different threads tell me the ax1200i people were recommending is crap (i have not used this PSU so im trying to figure out if other people think the same thing or have these people just got a bad one)

so here is the specs of the build

asus rampage iv black edition

32 gb corsair dominator platinum 8X4gb Quad channel 1866

intel i7 4930k will be overclocked

3 gpus running in sli or crossfire havent decided a gpu but they will be heavily overclocked

3x 120GB kingston hyperx SSD running in raid 0 with a 2tb 7200rpm backup in raid 1

and custom loop liquid cooling

WHICH PSU WILL BE THE BEST DONT CARE ABOUT PRICE JUST THE ABSOLUTE BEST THAT WILL DO WHAT I NEED IT TO DO

The AX1200i is quality, I don't understand why people are calling it crap.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

The AX1200i is quality, I don't understand why people are calling it crap.

I think he might of gotten a bad one.

System: CPU: 4670k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87MX D3H | RAM: 8gb 1600Mhz | Case:Corsair 350D | PSU: Corsair CX430, to be upgraded soon | GPU: HD4600, to be upgraded soon

Dogecoin: D787N1VP3JaK3wmKehWhqGXBvspZpQ4YFV

I think he might of gotten a bad one.

Every computer product will have some bad ones, ie, one of my DVI (luckily my DVI-I) ports on my GPU is dead, it happens.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

the AX1200i series are quite good, you may also look at the Seasonic Platinum X series,  Enermax Platimax or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III

Actually, the AX1500i might not be a bad option once it comes out. I haven't heard any word on release date.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

wtf?

AX1200i is the best consumer level PSU ever made! well next to the unreleased AX1500i...

but really, the AX1200i have a voltage regulation that is more tighter than a baby b*tthole and the ripple suppresion is much higher than Taipei tower!

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Corsair AX1200i/AX1500i. For the reason that the fan wont spin until it hits a threshold of usage.

My 1200i is essentially dead quite until rendering/encoding/gaming.

if you are a silence freak then it is a good option. besides being a great PSU.

but if you dont want the corsair option then I am not sure.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

i want the ax1200i in my opinion it was one of the best consumer psus out there but i have had people in other threads tell me that the psu shuts down when trying to run sli gpus even when its not at its max wattage so idk...

Red Harbinger, on 25 Jan 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

i want the ax1200i in my opinion it was one of the best consumer psus out there but i have had people in other threads tell me that the psu shuts down when trying to run sli gpus even when its not at its max wattage so idk...

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_1050-1250.htm

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=94〈=en

I would say they one of if not the best psu eventhough the Seasonic is only a 'Gold' rated. You can get the Platinum one but they are only available up to 1000w only. 

They are one of the top tier psu OEMs after all.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_1050-1250.htm

http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=94〈=en

I would say they one of if not the best psu eventhough the Seasonic is only a 'Gold' rated. You can get the Platinum one but they are only available up to 1000w only. 

They are one of the top tier psu OEMs after all.

i really like the super flower psu (aside from the name lol) but haven't heard much about them before do you use or have had any experience with these psus?

Red Harbinger, on 25 Jan 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

i really like the super flower psu (aside from the name lol) but haven't heard much about them before do you use or have had any experience with these psus?

I've never actually used that psu brand, as they are quite rare for an OEM branded even here in south east asia. Idk whether if people in EU can actually get them or not but there are a few brands that that use them as the OEM (Kingwin,Evga,NZXT to name a few). And I've read a lot of positive things about them. They are like they budget brand among the top psu OEM.

I cant find the 1200w unit review but the 1000w platinum unit scored pretty high in JohnnyGuru review.  http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=340.

I actually forgot where I've read about it but they said the the platinum unit actually is "Titanium" certified on 220-230VAC and they are the first one to achieve that on a consumer psu.

ok guys so im back to ask about psus now becuase i have had people tell me the ax1200i people were recommending is crap so here is the specs of the build

. . .

WHICH PSU WILL BE THE BEST DONT CARE ABOUT PRICE JUST THE ABSOLUTE BEST THAT WILL DO WHAT I NEED IT TO DO

I'm not a Corsair fan but calling the AX 1200i "crap" is like calling a diamond a lump of dirt. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=300, http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Corsair-AX1200i-Digital-ATX-1200W-Power-Supply-Review, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX1200i/ among many others.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Enermax, Seasonic, Cougar, LEPA.

Those are the brands I trust when I need a great high-wattage PSU.

Corsair PSUs are notable for value, but if budget isn't limited, I'd go with something better.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

not my words man like i said before i heard nothing but great things about this psu but some people on this forum do not speak to highly of it when it comes to running gpus in sli or CF

You don't need a 1200W+ power supply or three graphics cards...

You'll be fine and have plenty of head room with a 950W - 1050W.

If you look at the recent NCIX and Linus Co-lab video, they had three R9-280X on a 850W. They put two Antex 850W PSUs together to run SIX R9-280X.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Whoops!! website failed in me and I double-posted. My bad.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

The AX1200i is a crap power supply, the hybrid fan control seems to be designed in a few minutes. In a hot environment with speedstep etc disabled that will make the psu hit 45° the fan ramps agressively up to its nearly max speed after that the fan turns off. Happening like 5 times a minute and no I'm not having it about the fan ramping to its full speed when starting your system. You had to use Corsair link to set the fan at a fixed speed and that's just ridiculous. The I series need some airflow while Seasonic's hybrid fan control is just perfect. The voltage regulation/ripple & efficiency aren't that great.

Atm the best PSU is just the evga 1300 G2/1000 G2 & 1000 P2 with Superflower as OEM. Ripple/voltage reg/efficiency between 1300 G2 & Seasonic 1000W P: http://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/625149/faithh7/power-supplies-comparison-table-6

Antec HCP-1300 (OEM Delta) couldn't find any reviews but the HCP-1000 in same series was very well reviewed.

BTW, have you seen http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html regarding SSD in RAID 0?

i have now (lol) and from what i saw is that the benchmarks show the raid 0 config destroying single drives but in the real world that practically isnt that much of a difference, which is what im suggesting you are getting at, meaning you prefer one single large drive then multiple in raid 0 because there isn't a difference, which i agree but the reason im getting the multiple SSDs is for mainly aesthetics because in my build i will be showing them off when using the 760t(whenever it comes out) case when it comes out or even the red harbinger cross desk if frozen pc ever releases it and in those cases its nice to have multiple drives to fill up the empty space (but im also pretty particular when it comes to my builds)  and i like to have the bragging rights as well even if they dont mean that much in the real world 

i really like the evga 1300 g2, but it is 80 plus gold and not platinum which, is really not a huge problem for me anyway but it would be nice to have, and thankyou for the more insight on the ax1200i helps makes this decision a little easier

have you had any experience with the evga 1300 g2?