Asus starts to use liquid metal compound on its laptops

Neat. I was wondering when will someone jump on the bandwagon as an OEM and provide this on products by default.

hmmm laptop/ consoles / gpu tends to have excessive thermal paste, and when its replaced with liquid metal~~~bye asus

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

hmmm laptop/ consoles / gpu tends to have excessive thermal paste, and when its replaced with liquid metal~~~bye asus

I bet its done by hand, there is no machine that can apply LM without using too much, they might use tape or something?

13 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I bet its done by hand, there is no machine that can apply LM without using too much, they might use tape or something?

Lol, we make tiny chips that contain billions of transistors on nanometer scale and people think applying some liquid metal on a 1x1cm chip is impossible feat for a machine. LMAO

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Lol, we make tiny chips that contain billions of transistors on nanometer scale and people think applying some liquid metal on a 1x1cm chip is impossible feat for a machine. LMAO

Have you applied it before? it needs to be worked into both surfaces and applied extremely thin. Sure its possible to make a machine, it doesn't sound cost effective, hence its only being done on select i9 laptops.

I have. They can easily make a spinning swab that's dosing liquid metal into the tip and smearing it across the chip.

11 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Sure its possible to make a machine, it doesn't sound cost effective, hence its only being done on select i9 laptops.

offcourse its only going to be done with high end laptops. its not like low end laptops have had issues with throttling. 

Isn’t this gallium?

If a laptop is designed with liquid metal in mind, I think this could be excellent going forward. This isn't a substitute for other aspects of QA, such as good heatsink mounting pressuring, but leaks aren't something I'd worry about, good seals are easy to make.

One would assume that they put down a coating around the die(s) and then use a machine to apply the liquid metal. The interesting thing here is how it performs, and if there are any medium-long term issues. Aren't you supposed to change the LM every 6-9 months? 

I wonder if they apply it as a solid at low temps then mount the HSF assembly? That would allow for machine application, just deposit a little water of heavy foil onto the die or even stuck to the HSF. Then during it's ride down the line it would melt and during testing finish melting and spread under mounting pressure, yeah? Probably not, probably hand applied by ninjas.

23 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

it will only eat it if it makes direct contact with the metal, LM is only touching copper or nickel and the die.

For a 4K laptop, I’m not making that chance. 

18 hours ago, floofer said:

For a 4K laptop, I’m not making that chance. 

But it would be apple who took the chance?

1 hour ago, NielsKarsten said:

But it would be apple who took the chance?

No, because I accept the product for what it is when I buy it. What sort of question is that? 

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

No, because I accept the product for what it is when I buy it. What sort of question is that? 

I mean that if apple were to sell their laptops with LM, it would be on them to ensure that nothing would go wrong. Plus, I also think that if apple were to sell their laptops with LM that they would make sure that it couldn’t get in contact with anything it shouldn’t

27 minutes ago, NielsKarsten said:

I mean that if apple were to sell their laptops with LM, it would be on them to ensure that nothing would go wrong. Plus, I also think that if apple were to sell their laptops with LM that they would make sure that it couldn’t get in contact with anything it shouldn’t

When you buy a product you think will be faulty, it’s you choosing to hand your money over. Like when you buy a cheap laptop, you don’t expect it to last very long, if it breaks a day after the warranty, it’s not on the company, even though it’s within the lifetime of the product.

you don’t buy bad stuff then blame the company for their product.

I think we might have misunderstood each other. What i am saying is that if apple were to release a macbook with LM i would assume that they had tested it and found it to be safe. I would expect that if they charge 4k for a laptop with LM that it wouldn't fail because of the LM in a vast majority of cases. It can also be added that many people(I know a few) have put LM into their macbooks without any major problems as the cooling isn't made from aluminium 

2 hours ago, NielsKarsten said:

I think we might have misunderstood each other. What i am saying is that if apple were to release a macbook with LM i would assume that they had tested it and found it to be safe. I would expect that if they charge 4k for a laptop with LM that it wouldn't fail because of the LM in a vast majority of cases. It can also be added that many people(I know a few) have put LM into their macbooks without any major problems as the cooling isn't made from aluminium 

Because they so thoroughly and rigorously test their products for durability these days. /s

3 hours ago, NielsKarsten said:

let's see, just in the most recent years, Macbooks have had:

Keyboards fail because of shit design

Flexgate which damages the screen cable when you open and close the lid on a $4000 laptop

i9 Laptops with insufficient cooling and therefore not getting the performance you're paying for

a non-insignificant amount of macbook's batteries were expanding and popping out the trackpad.

so no, i wouldn't "assume" they would do anything different if the used LM. their excuse would more than likely be "well these aren't designed to be moved around a lot given the viscosity of liquid metal, so you weren't using it within it's design spec"

LM doesn't solidify like thermal paste, so there is always the chance of it squirting out from between the CPU and heatsink/pipe with movement, which is why it's nto recommended to replace thermal paste on laptops and phones, people DO, but it's still not recommended.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒