In a real world situation....

Mihle

.... Would you notice the difference between a phone with s Snapdragon 710 and one with 845? If you don't play games but mostly use the phone for surfing the web, utility apps and communication. An did not now, would you in 2 years?

Can't decide between Nokia 8.1, 8 Sirocco or OnePlus 6.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Right now probably not, but who knows want kind of technology we will see in 2 years and what it will require to run it. Either phone may or may not be up to the task, we often have to wait and see.

18 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Right now probably not, but who knows want kind of technology we will see in 2 years and what it will require to run it. Either phone may or may not be up to the task, we often have to wait and see.

:(

maybe I will gamble on it and save some money, maybe not.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

Of those phones I’d get the OnePlus. They’re generally better than the Nokia and are snappier 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Of those phones I’d get the OnePlus. They’re generally better than the Nokia and are snappier 

Other than the chip, what way? Do you know you notice the difference because of the chips or do you actually know?

Nokia is cheaper and newer

-Stephen Hawking

28 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Other than the chip, what way? Do you know you notice the difference because of the chips or do you actually know?

Nokia is cheaper and newer

OnePlus is generally the best performing phone per chip and their android skin is generally good. Nokia on the other hand are crap atm 

8 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

OnePlus is generally the best performing phone per chip and their android skin is generally good. Nokia on the other hand are crap atm 

But do you actually notice it if you aren't gaming or whatever?

And how is Nokia crap? You don't know what you talkikg about it or are all the reviews wrong? Are you still stuck with the windows phone Nokia in your head?

-Stephen Hawking

I would say probably not. Even if you could, what is the benefit then? Does paying that much more money for saving a few seconds every time loading something really worth it? This is subjective and up to you to determine.

19 minutes ago, rickymohk said:

I would say probably not. Even if you could, what is the benefit then? Does paying that much more money for saving a few seconds every time loading something really worth it? This is subjective and up to you to determine.

My question was just if you could. Nokia 8.1 is newer so it will get updates further down the line....

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Nokia 8.1 is newer so it will get updates further down the line....

updates in android seldom boost speed.

if you want a little snappier, go dev options, speed up animation/ effects

or pick a better launcher./

or slightly overclocks it/ dont let some cores sleep etc

11 hours ago, Mihle said:

But do you actually notice it if you aren't gaming or whatever?

And how is Nokia crap? You don't know what you talkikg about it or are all the reviews wrong? Are you still stuck with the windows phone Nokia in your head?

Well yeah cos you won’t be able to multitask as well and everything is slower. From the camera to just flicking through settings. 

Nokia now isn’t really Nokia anymore and their phones are generally poorly made and behind the times spec wise, meaning it is less likely to get updates. 

Edited by Lord Vile

12 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Well yeah cos you won’t be able to multitask as well and everything is slower. From the camera to just flicking through settings. 

Nokia now isn’t really Nokia anymore and their phones are generally poorly made and behind the times spec wise, meaning it is less likely to get updates. 

Experience or just total guessing? I don't really "multitask" on my phone.

Generally poorly made how? Are you just sitting out guessing or bias or do you actually have something bro back it up? Every review I have seen says they are very good. 710 is not behind the times specs wise. Also, they promise 2 years of updates. For OnePlus, one year is already over.

-Stephen Hawking

27 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Experience or just total guessing? I don't really "multitask" on my phone.

Generally poorly made how? Are you just sitting out guessing or bias or do you actually have something bro back it up? Every review I have seen says they are very good. 710 is not behind the times specs wise. Also, they promise 2 years of updates. For OnePlus, one year is already over.

You do multitask, you’ll have loads of stuff open in the background eating away at processing power.

As in they break really easily. 

I was looking at the sirocco when it first launched but the specs and the breakability of the previous phone put me off. 

But it you can always root it to lineage OS which works better with better hardware. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You do multitask, you’ll have loads of stuff open in the background eating away at processing power.

As in they break really easily. 

I was looking at the sirocco when it first launched but the specs and the breakability of the previous phone put me off. 

But it you can always root it to lineage OS which works better with better hardware. 

You don't make sense. Nokia 7 plus is looked at as one of the most solid phones that exist. Give me some links or go away.

And no, I don't have much open in the background.

What does linage OS have anything to do with it?

-Stephen Hawking

On 5/6/2019 at 11:35 PM, Mihle said:

You don't make sense. Nokia 7 plus is looked at as one of the most solid phones that exist. Give me some links or go away.

And no, I don't have much open in the background.

What does linage OS have anything to do with it?

I’ve seen them dropped and the battery outline become visible on the back. 

You manually close everything after you exit the app?

It extends the life of the phone by offering a software upgrade path? 

2 hours ago, PacketMan said:

Got a Samsung S5 with the snapdragon 801 in it for... 3 years and a half, it was slightly laggy because I use it really fast (I check what I want real quick and then lock the phone, like unlock>open app A>check>close>open app B>check>close>lock and I don't know if it was because the CPU or the 2GB of RAM (running Lineage OS tho)

I think that the Snapdragon 710 is good enough to last you well for a long time, and with at least 4GB of RAM you will be totally fine for whatever will come in the future (with a lot of smartphones coming with at least 3GB of RAM and the lowest of the low running 2GB and not getting the latest updates)

Just pick a phone that will receive the latest patches and updates, better if the brand has a huge fanbase full of devs (OnePlus is really loved and supported with tons of ROMs)

You don't need to do that, the apps don't really close themselves when you swipe them off of your "open apps", that's why you still receive notifications, when you don't use an app and let it on the background it actually doesn't use almost any CPU time, there's no need for it

So no need to close every single app you have open, at least not in the last Android versions

Edit: to make it clear, it would consume RAM but not that much to be worried, and with Android 8 the OS does close and kill a lot of processes when on background

Was more on about RAM tbh but background processed still occupy threads that lower end CPUs have less of 

16 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

How much time of each core/thread? like 1%? Twitter doesn't have to load new tweets, facebook doesn't have to load new posts, instagram doesn't have to load new images, a game doesn't have to process the movement of anything, it just saves the cache info and goes to the RAM

There are not that heavy apps for Android to actually consume a lot of CPU time on background saving data

They all still use tracking info etc when idle 

5 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I’ve seen them dropped and the battery outline become visible on the back. 

Where?

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, PacketMan said:

I think that the Snapdragon 710 is good enough to last you well for a long time, and with at least 4GB of RAM you will be totally fine for whatever will come in the future (with a lot of smartphones coming with at least 3GB of RAM and the lowest of the low running 2GB and not getting the latest updates)

Just pick a phone that will receive the latest patches and updates, better if the brand has a huge fanbase full of devs (OnePlus is really loved and supported with tons of ROMs)

Thanks for the info, Nokia 8.1 is a year newer than the OnePlus....

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, PacketMan said:

Hmmm the 710 is really nice, 4GB RAM nice too, Gorilla Glass 3 isn't that good (I have Gorilla Glass 5 in my Huawei Mate 10 and it has a scratch I don't even know how) but the screen looks nice enough, 3500mAh battery with Android stock should be fine, maybe a bit heavy and the camera looks like won't take that good photos at low light but should be fine, is Nokia still claiming that they will give software support forever or something like that?

The OnePlus 6 was and still is incredible, a lot of users loved it over the 6T and to love a phone over the improved version... It has a lot of support by custom ROMs, if you don't mind changing the ROM once its software support is over...

The price? What about the price of both? If it's the same price, go for the OnePlus, I think it's a better phone overall

From what I have read, GG 5 is not  more scratch resistant than GG 3 at all, it's just more impact resistant. Nokia says 2 years for main updates and 2 years or more for security.

I want fingerprint sensor on the back, not in the screen, and a headphone jack. Therefore no 6T.

OnePlus is about 150€ more than the Nokia. That's why I really have trouble deciding. If they where the same I would have just gone OnePlus. OnePlus 7 is supposed to come next week, maybe wait and see if the price drops then?

-Stephen Hawking