Laptop for College

Hey guys!  This is my first post so, yay... I guess.  I am graduating high school in the next week and will be heading off to college in a year or so to get a degree in music performance and music production.  Because of this I will be using plenty of programs to produce music and run tracks, etc...  I have been PCMR for my entire life and have not used any apple products in the last 2 years.  It seems that most people recommend Macbooks for anything to do with video/audio production so that is what I am leaning towards.  Here is a link to the model I am looking into buying, https://www.microcenter.com/product/603934/macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-fr962ll-a-july-2018-154-laptop-computer-apple-certified-refurbished---silver it is probably the best deal I have found.  So I guess I am wondering if it's worth it to invest in a Macbook over a windows laptop?

F*ck that sh*t. If you've got $1500, there's a ThinkPad X1 Extreme with your name on it. Go here, visit the corporate perks site linked off of it, use the code listed on the page to log in, PAW*APRIL, and enjoy your 30-50% discount off of list prices.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

29 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

F*ck that sh*t. If you've got $1500, there's a ThinkPad X1 Extreme with your name on it. Go here, visit the corporate perks site linked off of it, use the code listed on the page to log in, PAW*APRIL, and enjoy your 30-50% discount off of list prices.

I don't know how I feel about Lenovo.  From my experience with them in the IT industry, their products aren't that great.  If I were to get a windows PC I would go with a Surface Pro or a Surface Book.

11 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

If you're more comfortable on windows, don't get a Mac.

I have had some experience with Mac OS and there doesn't seem to be too much of a learning curve.  I know a good bit of Windows and Linux so I think it would be fun to get to know Mac OS.

8 minutes ago, Netwrks_ said:

I don't know how I feel about Lenovo.  From my experience with them in the IT industry, their products aren't that great.  If I were to get a windows PC I would go with a Surface Pro or a Surface Book.

And on the eighth day, God said, "Let there be laptop," and there was a T420.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

11 hours ago, Netwrks_ said:

snip

Where are you from? Budget? Is macOS a must? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 5/1/2019 at 1:56 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Is macOS a must? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I am from the U.S. and my budget is right around $1,500.  macOS is the supported OS for most of the programs I will be using (Prime, Logic Pro X, Helix Editor, etc.).  I would prefer something a bit lighter because my current laptop is a huge dinosaur.  It would probably be best if battery life is on the mid-high range of the spectrum.

12 minutes ago, Netwrks_ said:

macOS is the supported OS for most of the programs I will be using (Prime, Logic Pro X, Helix Editor, etc.)

Then your choice is obvious

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128