GTX 670 for old PC

Peibolrz2

Hi everyone, I would like to know how can I connect a GTX 670 with 2 x 6 pin connector with a molex or sata adapter.

So I'm trying to find a 1 molex to 2 x 6 pin, but it doesn't exist.

-Does it mean that a single SATA or molex connection cannot withdraw so much power for 2 x 6 pin connectors?

-If  that is the case how should I connect it, 2 x (2 molex to 1 6 pin)?     [looks like a math function lol]

Edit: the power supply it obiuosly doesn't have any pin connectors.

If this is a PC you care about, don't use a molex adapter, get a suitable PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Peibolrz2 said:

Hi everyone, I would like to know how can I connect a GTX 670 with 2 x 6 pin connector with a molex or sata adapter.

So I'm trying to find a 1 molex to 2 x 6 pin, but it doesn't exist.

-Does it mean that a single SATA or molex connection cannot withdraw so much power for 2 x 6 pin connectors?

-If  that is the case how should I connect it, 2 x (2 molex to 1 6 pin)?     [looks like a math function lol]

Get 2 Sata to PCIE power cables and do it that way if you have no PCIE power from your PSU.  No molex please.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Get 2 Sata to PCIE power cables and do it that way if you have no PCIE power from your PSU.  No molex please.

when you say PCIE you refer to pin right?

1 minute ago, Peibolrz2 said:

ok thank you, and why is better with sata?

The connection is better than Molex.  Easier to use, less chance of a bad connection, and smaller cables.  Better all around.

In a few years PSUs wont have Molex anymore.  Watch and see.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

The connection is better than Molex.  Easier to use, less chance of a bad connection, and smaller cables.  Better all around.

In a few years PSUs wont have Molex anymore.  Watch and see.

make sense, but are they more powerful than molex?

2 minutes ago, Peibolrz2 said:

make sense, but are they more powerful than molex?

No, they are actually less powerful as far as watts go, but they are much safer.

14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Kepler is very very efficient architecture but the issue is the cables getting too hot. 

Built a 6 gpu mining rig some months ago and it was "sufficient wattage" with the AX1200 but the sata and molex to 6 pin adapters thought otherwise and melted one of the modular leads. That shit smelled bad.

if you are dead set on doing it with one molex lead, (even though you should just get a good EVGA power supply- its like $52 for a 750 watt evga one) get a sata or molex (preferably sata) to 8 pin adapter, and then get an 8 pin to dual 6 pin adapter.

the thing is that this pc i'm talking about is of 1 friend and he doesn't want to expend a lot of money in this equipment, but he would love to have some graphics power so I have get a deal for a hd 7870 (around 25-30$) for her birthday (I have got confused is not a 670)

Do NOT use any SATA / MOLEX to PCI-E power connectors! Your PSU can have one strong power line or (what is more probably, because you have PSU without PCI-E power as I understand) it has separate power lines for mainboard and SATA. If you, for example, has written "400W" on your PSU sticker, that means is 400W in total. Depends on model, you have all that power to use OR just 200 W for motherboard, 100 W for cpu and 100 W for SATA/PATA (for example). That means you have not enough power in SATA/PATA lines for your GPU.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Do NOT use any SATA / MOLEX to PCI-E power connectors! Your PSU can have one strong power line or (what is more probably, because you have PSU without PCI-E power as I understand) it has separate power lines for mainboard and SATA. If you, for example, has written "400W" on your PSU sticker, that means is 400W in total. Depends on model, you have all that power to use OR just 200 W for motherboard, 100 W for cpu and 100 W for SATA/PATA. That means you have not enough power in SATA/PATA lines for your GPU.

so what do you recommend me?

3 minutes ago, Peibolrz2 said:

so what do you recommend me?

PSU that will work. It's not waste of money if you buying good PSU for old PC, because you can use it to new PC too if you want to made upgrade in the future. And probably new will be quiet.

Just now, homeap5 said:

PSU that will work. It's not waste of money if you buying good PSU for old PC, because you can use it to new PC too if you want to upgrade in the future.

yes is always a very good idea to have a quality power supply available, but i know for sure that my friend will not re-use it because he is not into pc parts, he just like to play some games

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its newer and will get more future driver updates but you do you hombre

true but price sometimes is decisive for the purchase of the gpu, just as a recent example you can buy a gtx 1650 for 130 or an "old" rx 570 that you can buy for the same price and sometimes even lower for 17% more performance

1 hour ago, Peibolrz2 said:

yes is always a very good idea to have a quality power supply available, but i know for sure that my friend will not re-use it because he is not into pc parts, he just like to play some games

Playing games and being into pc parts is connected.

You can say "I don't know anything about cars, but I want just race with my friend". Well, if you have only small car with small engine, it will be not possible.

Anyway, your friend wants to buy GPU - it's also pc part.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Playing games and being into pc parts is the same.

You can say "I don't know anything about cars, but I want just race with my friend". Well, if you have only small car with small engine, you can only dream.

the good thing is that we are here to make dreams come true xD, if my friend doesn't know i can help him

Ever heard of EVGA midweek madness. You can grab a 500w 80+ psu for $20 a lot of the time.

Please take a picture of the sticker on the PSU and the cables that you have available. This information will be sufficient for people to know for sure if it can/will work or not.

there are 3 possibilities berr

1 - it won’t work

2 - it will work but could catch fire and burn your house down killing your whole family

3 - it will work, and be safe.

without the facts we can only assume the worse case scenario and advise ‘don’t do it’ but if the facts show it is safe then that’s a different story