Need some assistance. Won't boot my windows.

Go to solution Solved by Viaz,

Just got the new ssd installed and loaded up with windows. Its working like a champ now. Took the m.2 drive to my local tech guys and they confirmed it was dead.

Thanks @Spotty and @SupaKomputa for the help :)

Hi there LTT community!

So I've been playing on my PC that I bought second hand for about a month and it's been working perfectly. But today when I turned on the PC it went to my motherboard bios. I tried restarting the computer and when it started it went to the motherboard bios again.

I got all my stuff installed on the only m2 ssd there is in the PC. So I guess the issue is the boot order or it not being detected.. from what I could read me to. I'm not very tech savvy.

BIOS VERSION: E7C02AMS. 170

Windows 10 64bit pro

MSI B450 Tomahawk
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Artic freezer 33 Esport One 
16GB G.skill Flare X 3200 MHz cl14
Asus Strix 1060 6GB
Corsair TX650 80+ gold 650w
Gigabyte 128GB nvme.2
Meshify C TG Black

IMG_20190429_131020.jpg

Try to unplug all drives but the boot drive.

If its still not booting, plug the windows installer usb and boot from there.

Follow this guide:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mbr-windows-guide/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

First step should be to reset the BIOS to defaults to remove any potentially problematic overclocks or settings that might be causing issues. If you can access the BIOS then there should be a "Reset to Defaults" setting. Alternatively you can shut down the system, unplug it, and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to clear the settings.

If that doesn't fix it, check the boot drives and ensure that the BIOS is detecting your OS drive, and ensure that it has first boot priority.

Do any error messages appear before it reaches the BIOS settings screen?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Try to unplug all drives but the boot drive.

If its still not booting, plug the windows installer usb and boot from there.

Follow this guide:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mbr-windows-guide/

I don't have the installer, bought the PC 2nd hand

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

First step should be to reset the BIOS to defaults to remove any potentially problematic overclocks or settings that might be causing issues. If you can access the BIOS then there should be a "Reset to Defaults" setting. Alternatively you can shut down the system, unplug it, and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to clear the settings.

If that doesn't fix it, check the boot drives and ensure that the BIOS is detecting your OS drive, and ensure that it has first boot priority.

Do any error messages appear before it reaches the BIOS settings screen?

The picture attached is the bios right? I can't find anything that says reset to defaults.

Ugh.. I'm so tech stupid..

Just now, Viaz said:

The picture attached is the bios right? I can't find anything that says reset to defaults.

Ugh.. I'm so tech stupid.. 

Yes, that's the BIOS screen. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with MSIs BIOS layout so I can't really guide you through it... Might be in the Settings menu that I see there, but I'm really not sure. If you push F7 it should toggle an advanced view which might show more options.

If you can't find a reset to defaults option, then just follow the steps to reset it by shutting down, switching the power off/unplugging the cable and removing the battery (small silver button battery) on the motherboard. Leave it a few minutes then put the battery back in, switch the system back on. You'll need to take the side panel off the case to access the CMOS battery.

And don't worry about it. We all have to learn at some point :)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Easy way to reset the bios is removing the battery in the motherboard for 1 minute and put it back.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, Viaz said:

I don't have the installer, bought the PC 2nd hand

You can download the installer in the windows website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click download tools now.

follow the "using the tool to create installation media..." guide

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes, that's the BIOS screen. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with MSIs BIOS layout so I can't really guide you through it... Might be in the Settings menu that I see there, but I'm really not sure. If you push F7 it should toggle an advanced view which might show more options.

If you can't find a reset to defaults option, then just follow the steps to reset it by shutting down, switching the power off/unplugging the cable and removing the battery (small silver button battery) on the motherboard. Leave it a few minutes then put the battery back in, switch the system back on. You'll need to take the side panel off the case to access the CMOS battery.

And don't worry about it. We all have to learn at some point :)

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Easy way to reset the bios is removing the battery in the motherboard for 1 minute and put it back.

Unplugged everything. Putting it back in now

Unplug any sata cable (the red cables attached to the board), if you have one and usb drives.

Leave the NVME (the drive that is screwed on the motherboard).

When the pc booted (shows the wallpaper) press F9, see if there's a drive detected.

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Unplug any sata cable (the red cables attached to the board), if you have one and usb drives.

Leave the NVME (the drive that is screwed on the motherboard).

When the pc booted (shows the wallpaper) press F9, see if there's a drive detected.

No data cables. Overclock profiles appear when I got f9.

But there was something in settings with sata

IMG_20190429_134942.jpg

IMG_20190429_135040.jpg

Your NVME (main drive) is not detected.

maybe this will help:

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Your NVME (main drive) is not detected.

maybe this will help:

Got the same settings as he does. But didn't help me. I'll take out the m2 sad and put it back in.. 

Doesn't seem like anything works.. I'm so close to giving up a d go pay some tech guy 200$ or whatever they charge to fix it..

Try to update your bios. Follow the second post in this page:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=302309.0

It is meant for the older b350 motherboard, but pretty much the same procedure.

Get the files here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

get the latest one (version 7C02v17)

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Try to update your bios. Follow the second post in this page:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=302309.0

It is meant for the older b350 motherboard, but pretty much the same procedure.

Get the files here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK

get the latest one (version 7C02v17)

I'll try that tomorrow. Gotta buy a USB and go-to the library I guess lol.

Just updated the bios. But didn't do anything. Is the SSD dead then?

Try taking the SSD out and putting it back in again. If your board has multiple m.2 slots try a different slot.

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Try taking the SSD out and putting it back in again. If your board has multiple m.2 slots try a different slot.

Only one m2 slot. Bought another ssd. A regular ssd. Hopefully it works

Just got the new ssd installed and loaded up with windows. Its working like a champ now. Took the m.2 drive to my local tech guys and they confirmed it was dead.

Thanks @Spotty and @SupaKomputa for the help :)

Awh... that's awful, now i can blacklist gigabyte ssds.

Glad all worked out.