overclocking

flrbyu

Yeah I do. Theyre not even a challenge to OC basic clocking that everyone can do. Doubt you'll get a C2Q to 4.4GHz

Remains a perfect example how poor the single core performance is and therefore how bad AMD is for gaming. Learn how threads & processes work tbh or you wouldn't be arguing here with me.

Overclocking 200MHz and 4% performance gain is really fun. Saying it for the 2nd time, the games that have been used in that review don't use more than 4 cores so an i5 matches an i7.

And no a 8350 isn't the best for its price. So lets do the calculations.

avp.jpg

i5 3570K: 150fps/230$ = 0.65

fx 8350: 75fps/200$ = 0.375

(prices taken from newegg.com)

Clearly the i5 is the best for its price giving you twice as much performance for a tiny bit more, considering that Intel doesnt need to be overclocked to blow that 8350@4.8GHz away so you can cheap out again and getting a non K version and a cheaper board so no z77. To run such clocks you need a beasty cooler that isn't even required so you cheap out again by going Intel and you don't need a 850W psu. For 2x 7970's a 650w is fine with an Intel. And now we have a final answer, a 2nd card is a waste on a 8350 so if we see a new card in the future performing equally to 7970's in CF for 200$ it's not getting pushed to its full limit on AMD so no "future-proof" behind it. 

Theyre just the facts. If you go against the vast majority on the net with no credible source to backup, then you're wrong. Although I kinda proved you why Intel is better with a source atleast while you've said that you rather see a decrease by upgrading to Intel:

fine if you dont like amd, so be it. just don't go forcing your thoughts down other people's throats. There are also allot more things than games that matter, stop being so ignorant. The 8350 is faster in multi threaded applications and gaming benchmarks for cpu's are totally pointless anyway.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I just wanted to actually answer the op's general question real quick. In short, overclocking is always worth it any way you look at it. Its free performance! its like refusing to take free money, there is no reason not to.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Not even a challenge.. huh.. Ok. Post a screen shot of you taking any FX processor above 5.0Ghz.

I doubt you'll have one.

Which by the way has nothing to do with the OPs question. 

You are being argumentative and not answering the OPs question about how to OC HIS processor.

You either need to answer the OPs question of GTFO of the thread. It's that simple.

I don't have 8350's and 5GHz isn't hard. Because you play a bit with the HT and NB voltage as well doesn't mean it's a challenge. The times with DDR2 it was so much harder to get RAM stable at a certain FSB.

I did answer the OP's question; there's no point OC'ing a few MHz's that's not going bring any performance that's worth it. If he needs more performance then he should go Intel. You're pretty much going offensive after I gave him the right advise.

fine if you dont like amd, so be it. just don't go forcing your thoughts down other people's throats. There are also allot more things than games that matter, stop being so ignorant. The 8350 is faster in multi threaded applications and gaming benchmarks for cpu's are totally pointless anyway.

The desktop is for 90% used for gaming where multithreading performance so far is irrelevant. Been single core performance like it always has been. Gaming benchmarks are probably more realistic than your statement "faster in multithreading". It's only 10% and an i5 HW @ 5GHz will outperform a FX 5.2GHz in multithreading performance especially floating point calcs.

op: just go for it and I dout priller  would mind if you pm him now and then for advice as your doing it 

multithreading is going to be a large part of games soon anyway with the help of win8 knowing what to do with the info  

so the amd will be good cheap and shit hot for gaming again 

also faa some people are out for cheapness not the fastest for this that and the other 

my 8350 eats CAD for breakfast where some i5 i7 on other machines doing the same work load is struggling 

also faa some people are out for cheapness not the fastest for this that and the other 

my 8350 eats CAD for breakfast where some i5 i7 on other machines doing the same work load is struggling 

Back up with a source or you're wrong. An i3 is overall however a better choice for gaming than a 8350 so your argument is invalid.

OP, as @helping said before, take it slow. Overclock in small baby step increments (i.e. bring the multiplier up 1 or 0.5...insrease FSB by 10MHz or 5MHz).

We;ve got a chunk of forums members with FX-83XX CPUs (and few rare ones with FX-9XXX CPUs); they should be willing and happy to give you a hand or some tips in overclocking. @Priller is one :)

I don't know what happened to @Spannerhands and his EPIC FX-9590. I'm sure he can DEFINTELY show you his ways (IMO, probably the AM3+ FX overclocking Professor here). http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49217-fx9590-overclocking/

I would love to help, but I'm still rolling with a Phenom II X6 1090T. There are some similarities in overclocking a AM3 and a AM3+ CPU, so I'll dig up some of the old notes and cheat sheets...may come in handy for you. (I need to pay of my X-mas spending debt first before getting a new CPU)

This thread has gone WAYYY off topic, like literally sideways, with people suggesting and Intel CPU instead...or saying AMD's performance is cr@p...and people aruging back and fourth, left and right, up and down, diagonally.

HOW DOES THAT MATTER TO THE OP'S QUESTION. He already bought the FUCKING Processor and Motherboard, and it is already up and running!!

Do we need Linus in here to to show his disappoint and to "baby-sit" you people??

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Back up with a source or you're wrong. An i3 is overall however a better choice for gaming than a 8350 so your argument is invalid.

your wrong as hes not even stated hes gaming with it so you are invalided yourselves in everything your throwing up about gaming etc

there is more to computing than gaming you know

stop acting like a troll and go play your games if it means that much to you  

op: good luck with the over-clocking have fun 

your wrong as hes not even stated hes gaming with it so you are invalided yourselves in everything your throwing up about gaming etc

I quoted him on his false claim that his 8350 is faster than an i7 asking him to provide a source or he's just wrong.

there is more to computing than gaming you know

Not complety sure about it but CAD is mostly floating point computing so a 8350 wont come close to an i7. Kinda sure lots of CAD progs aren't properly optimized to share the offload to more threads so single core performance is your goal -> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15224826&linkID=9240617