Vega 64 vs RTX 2070 vs GTX 1080ti

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle about choosing a new GPU for my system. 

At the moment have a 1070 but after recently upgrading to a new 1440p 144hz monitor I noticed it may be time for a new GPU to get the most out of this monitor.

The monitor has Freesync 2 so I can enable G-Sync but it doesn't work all that great. 

My PC's other specs are:

- 7700K @ 5.0GHZ 

- 16GB DDR4 2133mhz

- Asus Z170K

- Samsung 960 Evo 250GB + Seagate Firecuda 2TB

- Corsair TX550M V2 (which would need a replacement with a new GPU)

The GPUs to replace my 1070 I have been looking at are:

- Vega 64 (about €450 new, €500(makes no sense) used)

- RTX 2070 (about €550 new, €450 used)

- GTX 1080ti (about €500 used, often with warranty)

The 1080ti outperforms both the other options by about 20% so on paper it's the best option, but they aren't available new anymore at all so I'll have to get one second-hand.

The 2070 performs slightly better than the Vega 64 but costs about €100 more, but costs about the same when buying used. For some reason the Vega 64 is cheaper new than used where I live. 

So given my current setup, which GPU would be the best choice?

1 minute ago, L. Kenter said:

- Vega 64 (about €450 new, €500(makes no sense) used)

- RTX 2070 (about €550 new, €450 used)

- GTX 1080ti (about €500 used, often with warranty)

I'd go 1080 Ti > V64 > 2070

But only if you totally must ditch the 1070... Best thing ever would be wait for Navi.

Just manage graphical settings~

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If this monitor has Freesync 2 and isn't working well with the GTX 1070, then it might be an Nvidia problem with drivers and not necessarily the GPU, depending on what issues you're having.

If it's GSync/Freesync issues, then another Nvidia GPU might reproduce the same issues (again, not familiar with your issue, so sorry if I sound ignorant.)

Otherwise, I 100% agree with @Princess Cadence and recommend waiting for Navi. Either Navi will be better, or not. Either way, you'll have more options, and the prices of NVidia should come down a bit when there is more competition.

21 minutes ago, L. Kenter said:

I'm in a bit of a pickle about choosing a new GPU for my system. 

At the moment have a 1070 but after recently upgrading to a new 1440p 144hz monitor I noticed it may be time for a new GPU to get the most out of this monitor.

Why? What's the Problem??
What Games??
What settings??

I'd rather not get a new GPU right now and wait a bit on new products.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Waiting for Navi seems like a solid plan, totally forgot about that.

About the G-Sync not working properly; my monitor isn't officially supported (Samsung LC32HG70QQU). When I turn it on most games run like they should but I'm not really noticing any increase in smoothness or fps stability. And with some games the brightness flickers very slightly during some specific moments, which isn't really that much of an issue but its not giving me extra smoothness either. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

Why? What's the Problem??
What Games??
What settings??

I'd rather not get a new GPU right now and wait a bit on new products.

Most games like E-sports titles etc. run fine on max at 1440p, but newer and more demanding games don't run so great. Mosty notably Monster Hunter World, with all setting set to medium/low/completely off it barely reaches 60FPS. Resolution makes almost zero difference in FPS. Same for some other more recent titles. So I figured its time for a GPU upgrade. 

Waiting for Navi seems like a good idea indeed. 

Most games like E-sports titles etc. run fine on max at 1440p,

Well, yeah, they are running well on a Potato...

but newer and more demanding games don't run so great.

pls name them!

I also have some performance Issues with some settings in some games with my Vega64.

Yeah, happens. But tune down a bit and it runs great.

Mosty notably Monster Hunter World, with all setting set to medium/low/completely off it barely reaches 60FPS. Resolution makes almost zero difference in FPS. Same for some other more recent titles. So I figured its time for a GPU upgrade. 

That is weird...

https://gamegpu.com/rpg/ролевые/monster-hunter-world-test-gpu-cpu

According to that Benchmark it could do more. And although I don't like the game much I played a couple of minutes and no issues. 

But I'd rather suspect some software issues on your end like a programm that gobbles away some resources in the background than the card

Waiting for Navi seems like a good idea indeed. 

Yeah, especially since you already have a GPU in the higher end and a real increase would mean wasting 500€ or more.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Could it have anything to do with my RAM? I have 16GB now which should be plenty but it runs at 2133mhz. I saw some tests done with a 7700K with different memory speeds where both FPS and frame consistency improved quite a lot with higher clocked RAM. Others say ram speed doesn’t matter at all with Intel CPUs.

1 hour ago, L. Kenter said:

Could it have anything to do with my RAM? I have 16GB now which should be plenty but it runs at 2133mhz. I saw some tests done with a 7700K with different memory speeds where both FPS and frame consistency improved quite a lot with higher clocked RAM. Others say ram speed doesn’t matter at all with Intel CPUs.

Try OC'ing your RAM and seeing if it helps

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

The 1080ti outperforms both the other options by about 20% so on paper it's the best option, but they aren't available new anymore at all so I'll have to get one second-hand.

You're wrong there. I quick search on Newegg found me new GTX 1080ti's easily.

Founders Edition: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D8CH9227&Description=gtx 1080ti&cm_re=gtx_1080ti-_-14-487-335-_-Product

EVGA: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D8DW6713&Description=gtx 1080ti&cm_re=gtx_1080ti-_-14-487-337-_-Product

Both of the above cards are brand new and have five-egg (Eggs are like stars on Newegg) ratings

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

1 hour ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

You're wrong there. I quick search on Newegg found me new GTX 1080ti's easily.

Founders Edition: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D8CH9227&Description=gtx 1080ti&cm_re=gtx_1080ti-_-14-487-335-_-Product

EVGA: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D8DW6713&Description=gtx 1080ti&cm_re=gtx_1080ti-_-14-487-337-_-Product

Both of the above cards are brand new and have five-egg (Eggs are like stars on Newegg) ratings

I did notice some websites still sell new ones, but not in the Netherlands... Also, for that kind of money I'd rather get a 2080ti. I'm aiming around €500.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:57 PM, L. Kenter said:

I did notice some websites still sell new ones, but not in the Netherlands... Also, for that kind of money I'd rather get a 2080ti. I'm aiming around €500.

ah alright

The Seagate Fire has two versions, the following link is for the SSD in case you are interested in checking it:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

If you want to max your FPS, then the GTX 1080 Ti is the best option.  And remember that the higher the FPS, the less you will notice tearing and the less G-Sync or FreeSync is needed.  A 1080 Ti and use Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync and you should be good to go.