Help with network for new apartment

adgrodriguez

Hi Guys I really need some help to set up a network my new apartment. I want to have all of my "permanent" equipment (tv's,receiver,media center, printer) plug in via ethernet, and also have a wireless network for when family and friend comes and for the devices that doesnt have ethernet ports. Here is a picture of the layout of the apartment with a description of the devices that are in each area.

post-55023-0-58494800-1390431208_thumb.j

I have one constrain which is that the communication company for this building uses the ethernet jack for the IPTV boxes. The apartment also have normal coaxial connections which I believe I can take out and repourpose them with ethernet cable to have 2 ethernet ports per jack. I noticed that the apartment's ethernet wire is a cat 5e. I wanted to run cat 6 cable for the data to the devices to "future proof" a little bit the job and have some overhead speed for the devices to communicate locally. Most of them support gigabit ethernet.

Here is a picture of the communication box of the apartment. I will probably have to change it to a bigger one to fit a router and an extra switch just for the data, as the one that is already there is from the communication company and gets both the data and the tv signal.

what solutions do you guys have in mind? what topology should use for the network so I have the wireless and wired part commnuicate between them.? using the splitter that appears on the picture below would lower the data rate?

post-55023-0-01669800-1390430748_thumb.j

Note: The internet speed is supposed to be 100mbps download and 20mbps upload

Thanks everyone for any input, it is really appreciated :D

i dont really have anything to input apart from that layout looks awesome i want that flat :D

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

A troll who efforts but is still obvious as fuck. You win the internet today

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Use 4 Port Gigabit switches at every location that has more than one device, as for a recabling to place, i dont see that happening in a completely finished building because of the work and tearing that has to be done i cant see them letting someone do that, Cat5e supports gigabit speed. just use a good router at the entrance, if your serious use an enterprise grade router if you need any specific features, then add an access point for the wireless devices off of one of the switches that is closest to the center of the place, that way wireless inst amazing at one side and horrible at the other. there really not much you can do besides what is the obvious thing to do unfortunately. you could put a 24 port Gigabit switch at the entrance and run cables outside of the walls but that would be weird. i see yourself adding 5 switches, and calling it good. My apartment is much smaller, so my infrastructure was done completely outside of the walls.

please let me know what your thoughts are and what your planning on doing or if any of this information was not correct.

-Tyler

Use 4 Port Gigabit switches at every location that has more than one device, as for a recabling to place, i dont see that happening in a completely finished building because of the work and tearing that has to be done i cant see them letting someone do that, Cat5e supports gigabit speed. just use a good router at the entrance, if your serious use an enterprise grade router if you need any specific features, then add an access point for the wireless devices off of one of the switches that is closest to the center of the place, that way wireless inst amazing at one side and horrible at the other. there really not much you can do besides what is the obvious thing to do unfortunately. you could put a 24 port Gigabit switch at the entrance and run cables outside of the walls but that would be weird. i see yourself adding 5 switches, and calling it good. My apartment is much smaller, so my infrastructure was done completely outside of the walls.

please let me know what your thoughts are and what your planning on doing or if any of this information was not correct.

-Tyler

Thanks for the input crew.

Yes I think the solution to have switches on everyroom would be the easiest one. thou, would this lower speeds or complicate contectivity between the devices? say I want to pull files from the NAS to one of the TVs.

Does anyone have any recomendations on enterprise routers, switches and access points.?

i dont really have anything to input apart from that layout looks awesome i want that flat :D

Hey thanks tpoar. :)

Thanks for the input crew.

Yes I think the solution to have switches on everyroom would be the easiest one. thou, would this lower speeds or complicate contectivity between the devices? say I want to pull files from the NAS to one of the TVs.

Does anyone have any recomendations on enterprise routers, switches and access points.?

I don't think it'd complicate anything really, under normal use, as long as you have one device with a 'master' DHCP server (say a modem or a master switch where you plug all the switches in the rooms to). Remember to disable DHCP on all the other switches, too! It's definitely the simplest option to have individual switches in the rooms to plug the devices in. Unless you want to start putting more cables in the walls yourself.

So something like this: Internet -> modem/router -> switches in all the rooms -> devices in the rooms.

This way you'll also be using just one ethernet port per room.

The places where you have just two devices you can just plug straight into the wall and then to the modem/router.

Thanks kefuren!.

So does anyone has ideas for the router, switches and access point? what brand and model do you recommend for each one (cisco, linksys, TRENDned, D-Link, etc)???

So far I've look around linksys and cisco webpage for their business switches and routers, still no idea for that access point. any recomendations?

Thanks kefuren!.

So does anyone has ideas for the router, switches and access point? what brand and model do you recommend for each one (cisco, linksys, TRENDned, D-Link, etc)???

So far I've look around linksys and cisco webpage for their business switches and routers, still no idea for that access point. any recomendations?

No problem!

Unfortunately I don't have really any recommendations for the networking gear.

Thanks kefuren!.

I'd recommend a combination of a Mikrotik Routerboard and an Ubiquiti UniFi Access point. PoE output on the RB will eliminate the need for the PoE injector on the UniFi, and you get a tidy setup. You'll just need a Windows machine on the network to use the controller software for the AP :)