hp proliant dl385 g2 backplane external power

I came across 4 HP Proliant dl385 g2 servers, for free. I was just curious, the scsi adapter "LSISAS1078 C1 has two connectors that connect to the backplane. The backplane is powered by a 10 pin power plug. As an experiment, is there some adapter that I can use to power the backplane so I can use it with the scsi adapter to connector sas hardrives? it is just an experiment!

thank you!

8 minutes ago, beetlespin79 said:

As an experiment, is there some adapter that I can use to power the backplane so I can use it with the scsi adapter to connector sas hardrives? it is just an experiment!

Any RAID card with the correct cables will work. If you're using the original server chassis and power supply you should have no problems on the power cabling side. All you need is the SAS cables from the RAID card to the backplane SAS connectors.

that is the problem, i am using the original RAID card and the backplane receives power from the motherboard. the connectors from the backplane to the RAID card is a single connector. It's kind of hard to explain. It's like the data and power are all on one interface instead of separated like on SATA.

from the raid controller to the backplane, the cable is one LARGE connector. on the other side of the backplane is where the actual drives connect, but the backplane needs power. I was curious as if there is an adapter that converts the 10 pin backplane plug to maybe use with a standard ATX power supply?

thank you

25 minutes ago, beetlespin79 said:

that is the problem, i am using the original RAID card and the backplane receives power from the motherboard.

Is this a problem because you want to change out the motherboard?

It's kind of hard to explain. It's like the data and power are all on one interface instead of separated like on SATA.

It's not, only SAS/SATA data comes off the RAID card. Why they went with that connector and not the SFF-8087 like on the backplane I have no idea but it's just a connector difference. Power comes from the backplane power connector on the side.

I was curious as if there is an adapter that converts the 10 pin backplane plug to maybe use with a standard ATX power supply?

Not easily but yes, I don't think an adapter exists but it's a cable that could be made however you'd need a multimeter to measure each pin on the original cable then wire up your own.

Also I would like to say if you are wanting to update the hardware in the server to something newer the amount of money you'd likely spend doing it is probably around the same as just buying a newer used server like a HP DL380 G5/G6/G7 or Dell R710.

Thank you for the responses. I just basically wanted to see if using some type of adapter/external psu to supply the backplane power so i could access 4 250GB SAS drives independent of a server setup/motherboard! I do not have any need for a server. I was able to get these for free and decided, wth not?

I was thinking at least I might be able to sell some of the parts. Never turn down anything for free!