Triple screen, game programming PC

dominicBo

Location is Netherlands, here's direct link to empty Dutch PCPartPicker list: PCPartPicker

As cheap as possible, definitely less than 1000€. I want to skip prestige costs, all I need is component to work and be reliable, no need for crazy S++ RGB dancing water-cooled dabbing hardware. I don't need crazy stickers.

Requirements:
Storage: 500GB-1TB SSD storage.
Video Outputs: 2 or 3 monitor connections (I will connect 1080p60 monitors).

Video Card: My 920M does well in League of Legends giving me 1080p60 on ultra-lowest settings, I could ask for 100 FPS and more stable framerate. Game feels sluggish because of slight discomforting delay (with V-Sync disabled). Feels as if it's inconsistent frame delivery. I know, you're not sorcerer with guessing, I'm just here to drop reference, I have no idea about GPU series and relative performances.

Data Outputs: ~2x USB 3.0 ports, ~2x USB 2.0 ports. AUX output.

Peripherals: None. I'll get my own mouse, keyboard and headset.
Others: No operating systems, no anti-virus. I'll install OS and other software myself.
Companies: I do not care, Nvidia, Intel, AMD. I'm not a fan-boy.
Chassis: Preferably as compact as possible. I want to displace it when needed.

Usage:
I plan using it for YouTube video watching, basic desktop recording (custom very-low preset). Unity programming, file transfer (from camera to external HDD for example). All of these work problemless on my laptop (mentioned below) right now. But as game compiling gets bigger, and I need to record three screens, and maybe I'll watch a video, a stream and maybe play League at higher settings at the same time, it will probably tax more and become problematic.

Relative perspective:
I'm currently working on a laptop (save me), and I really want to directly experience performance upgrade from laptop to a desktop, and I can't upgrade my laptop anymore.
It contains SSD, Intel Core i5-6200U, Nvidia GT 920M, 1080p. It serves me well, but I already feel the pain that I will get when I attach three different monitors.

4 hours ago, dominicBo said:

Location is Netherlands, here's direct link to empty Dutch PCPartPicker list: PCPartPicker

As cheap as possible, definitely less than 1000€. I want to skip prestige costs, all I need is component to work and be reliable, no need for crazy S++ RGB dancing water-cooled dabbing hardware. I don't need crazy stickers.

Requirements:
Storage: 500GB-1TB SSD storage.
Video Outputs: 2 or 3 monitor connections (I will connect 1080p60 monitors).

Video Card: My 920M does well in League of Legends giving me 1080p60 on ultra-lowest settings, I could ask for 100 FPS and more stable framerate. Game feels sluggish because of slight discomforting delay (with V-Sync disabled). Feels as if it's inconsistent frame delivery. I know, you're not sorcerer with guessing, I'm just here to drop reference, I have no idea about GPU series and relative performances.

Data Outputs: ~2x USB 3.0 ports, ~2x USB 2.0 ports. AUX output.

Peripherals: None. I'll get my own mouse, keyboard and headset.
Others: No operating systems, no anti-virus. I'll install OS and other software myself.
Companies: I do not care, Nvidia, Intel, AMD. I'm not a fan-boy.
Chassis: Preferably as compact as possible. I want to displace it when needed.

Usage:
I plan using it for YouTube video watching, basic desktop recording (custom very-low preset). Unity programming, file transfer (from camera to external HDD for example). All of these work problemless on my laptop (mentioned below) right now. But as game compiling gets bigger, and I need to record three screens, and maybe I'll watch a video, a stream and maybe play League at higher settings at the same time, it will probably tax more and become problematic.

Relative perspective:
I'm currently working on a laptop (save me), and I really want to directly experience performance upgrade from laptop to a desktop, and I can't upgrade my laptop anymore.
It contains SSD, Intel Core i5-6200U, Nvidia GT 920M, 1080p. It serves me well, but I already feel the pain that I will get when I attach three different monitors.

This is what I went with:

So in this build I wanted to fit in the best GPU possible (while being paired with a CPU that wouldn't bottleneck it in any way). The RTX 2060 will allow you to run whatever game(s) you build in Unity at higher framerates and it'll allow you to really experiment with Ray Tracing (which you can do in Unity) if you wanted to. The 9400F is a 6c/6t part which should be more than sufficient. Generally speaking in Unity you won't use more than 4-6 threads, which is why I didn't pick a 2600x for this task, and the 9400F is able to beat the 2600x in almost every game (even when the 2600x is OCed). It's actually often the case that just using more threads in Unity can actually be slower than a single threaded process with decent sub-routines. However, if you do find yourself using more threads than that, and it's working efficiently, you could go with the 2600x instead, just let me know and I'll pair it with a good motherboard while keeping the rest of the build the same.

13 hours ago, jerubedo said:

This is what I went with:

So in this build I wanted to fit in the best GPU possible (while being paired with a CPU that wouldn't bottleneck it in any way). The RTX 2060 will allow you to run whatever game(s) you build in Unity at higher framerates and it'll allow you to really experiment with Ray Tracing (which you can do in Unity) if you wanted to. The 9400F is a 6c/6t part which should be more than sufficient. Generally speaking in Unity you won't use more than 4-6 threads, which is why I didn't pick a 2600x for this task, and the 9400F is able to beat the 2600x in almost every game (even when the 2600x is OCed). It's actually often the case that just using more threads in Unity can actually be slower than a single threaded process with decent sub-routines. However, if you do find yourself using more threads than that, and it's working efficiently, you could go with the 2600x instead, just let me know and I'll pair it with a good motherboard while keeping the rest of the build the same.

I highly appreciate your input, but you highly overshoot my performance threshold.

I know GeForce GTX 2060, and its a flagship GPU, it performs amazingly, but I definitely don't play AAA games. Nothing that I will do will justify 390€ pricetag for that GPU. I'm not planning to run insane games. I'm not professional video developer either, I can keep graphics beautiful without gamers needing a GTX 2060, to match the performance of game that I had in mind.

9400F is CPU with 6 cores, which you yourself already mentioned I wouldn't need. I even have a two physical core laptop now, and it doesn't disturb but I do experience lag, do I really need such an advanced CPU for a task, I'm almost already doing unscathed?

Do you believe I will experience a significant difference between 4GB (now), 8GB (more or less planned) and 16GB (suggested) ?

Once again, its not critique, just speaking my mind out loud.

I gave a threshold of 1000€ for a final limit, if feels like you went full out on it.

It's meant to be a healthy step for a healthy price with good performance meeting my needs.

You went for a major step for a solid price with bleed-edge flagship performance (most of which I'll never use).

I'm not greedy and trying to avoid purchasing a solid computer. But I want it to do what I want it to do, and nothing more. This isn't reserved budget. I think League of Legends taxes my computer more than my Unity game. I love optimized programming. It will suck to pay for a beast computer, which I will not use for any "beastly" purposes.

Edit:

What do you think more of this:

What would be matching CPU? I really want to tone down the extremes.

GTX 1050 brings me from 735 to 4687 on VideoCardBenchmark.net, translates nicely, doesn't it?

RTX 2060 by comparison has 13153.

RTX 2080 Ti has 17027.

16 minutes ago, dominicBo said:

Edit:

What do you think more of this:

What would be matching CPU? I really want to tone down the extremes.

GTX 1050 brings me from 735 to 4687 on VideoCardBenchmark.net, translates nicely, doesn't it?

The points you made are fair. I did indeed target the best possible performance that fit into the budget (that tends to be how I build). With your feedback I'd say to keep the 9400F. It's a mid-range CPU at best, and the price difference between it and a quad core doesn't justify going backwards to the quad. €139 vs €199. For RAM, I'd still say that 16GB is becoming necessary. Already a few games struggle with 8GB, and having just a browser open while gaming can push RAM usage up. And again the price difference for 8GB vs 16GB is €69 vs € 89. The video card, going with a 1050 might be too low. That card can barely handle 1080p gaming and VRAM is limited. IF you're just playing League of Legends, it's okay though. Otherwise if you want to try out other games, I'd say go with an RX 580, RX 570, or a GTX 1660 as a good 1080p card. Nevermind, none of those cards are available in your area. I'd say maybe a 1050 Ti then. Here's a revised build:

Note that the tower and PSU are the cheapest available already, so I can't even pick anything cheaper. I'd also stick with the nicer M.2 drive for the extra €6. You'll find it's much nicer to not have any SATA cables in your rig.

If you had to go lower on the CPU I'd go with the i3 8100.

15 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

The points you made are fair. I did indeed target the best possible performance that fit into the budget (that tends to be how I build). With your feedback I'd say to keep the 9400F. It's a mid-range CPU at best, and the price difference between it and a quad core doesn't justify going backwards to the quad. €139 vs €199. For RAM, I'd still say that 16GB is becoming necessary. Already a few games struggle with 8GB, and having just a browser open while gaming can push RAM usage up. And again the price difference for 8GB vs 16GB is €69 vs € 89. The video card, going with a 1050 might be too low. That card can barely handle 1080p gaming and VRAM is limited. IF you're just playing League of Legends, it's okay though. Otherwise if you want to try out other games, I'd say go with an RX 580 or a GTX 1660 as a good 1080p card. Nevermind, those cards aren't available in your area. I'd say maybe a 1050 Ti then. Here's a revised build:

Note that the tower and PSU are the cheapest available already, so I can't even pick anything cheaper. I'd also stick with the nicer M.2 drive for the extra €6. You'll find it's much nicer to not have any SATA cables in your rig.

If you had to go lower on the CPU I'd go with the i3 8100.

Would you recommend a fan for that CPU?

11 minutes ago, dominicBo said:

Would you recommend a fan for that CPU?

It comes with a sufficient cooler, however it can get on the louder side when at load, so if you think that's good enough, stick with it, otherwise just something cheap like an H412R.