is more GPU's better than 1 GPU for multi monitors?

MasterLow

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

2 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hi there im looking to do a budget amd or nvidea pc build and want a triple monitor setup cause i like to multitask while i game, ill be browsing the web on 1 monitor, playing on the middle one and watching movies on the right but i sometimes like playing a game on all 3 monitors, would making a crossfire or sli (adding a GPU) help increase fps accross all 3 monitors or would it be better to have a single powerful GPU for all 3 monitors?

Doesn't matter for performance if it's 1 GPU or 2

But why not just use an ultra wide? Or 40" 4k display?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, MasterLow said:

No rig that can game on three monitors at a time is going to a "budget" build. What were you expecting to spend, and what resolution and refresh rate will the monitors be?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I tried dual GPU setups and honestly its kind of a waste of money. The ram on each extra GPU goes unused, you only get maybe 40-70% performance out of each extra one depending on the game, and most games just flat out don't support them. I suppose if you've got an extra few grand to burn then why not, but I think your better off spending more on the best damn water cooled gpu you can buy.

If the GPU isn't rendering a 3d scene, it's not being pushed. YouTube and web browsing aren't going to be lowering your fps.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hmm I didn't think about that, it depends i could do that but if buying 3 monitors is cheaper than a ultrawide ill go with the monitors cause it is a sorta budget build

Not a lot of games are well optimize for SLI/CrossFire setup so in my opinion 1 is better than 2. 

1st off, "budget" doesnt really go along with "Triple monitor", so if you want to do that kinda stuff, look to be spending a lot of money for that. Also, playing games, browsing the web, and gaming at the same time is gonna take a lot of computer, 2 grand probly. Yes, SLI or crossfire would help improve performance, but not specifically for 2+ monitors, just cause its more power. 1 really good GPU might be a better option, maybe a 2080 ti or Titan, but theres gonna be alot of load on your CPU and memory, so thats important too.

8 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

not budget but the build in my signature is what i use with the asus monitor in portrait mode for things like discord, my samsung 4k in the middle for what i'm doing  and the LG 4k tv for media, usually youtube, netflix or blurays.  even when i was using my old 970, or 66ti i never had a problem doing 3 monitors for what you are describing (although it was 1080p monitors back then)

Edit: depending on the game and Budget Rig you probably wont be able to do triple monitor gaming

Nothing to see here, move along

2 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

1st off, "budget" doesnt really go along with "Triple monitor", so if you want to do that kinda stuff, look to be spending a lot of money for that. Also, playing games, browsing the web, and gaming at the same time is gonna take a lot of computer, 2 grand probly. Yes, SLI or crossfire would help improve performance, but not specifically for 2+ monitors, just cause its more power. 1 really good GPU might be a better option, maybe a 2080 ti or Titan, but theres gonna be alot of load on your CPU and memory, so thats important too.

1080p monitors are cheaper now days and some of the GPUs are the same so I can definitly find a budget system for around 2k with triple monitors piripherals and the pc ( but it might not run the best) who knows but yea i might just go with the single powerful gpu but 2080ti and titan are like way to expensive

3 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

I don't know if it would take that much computer. I've done that with pretty low end  last gen amd parts before, I never had any issues.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No rig that can game on three monitors at a time is going to a "budget" build. What were you expecting to spend, and what resolution and refresh rate will the monitors be?

You could just turn down the render scale in any game to like 75% at 1080p or something on an RX 580 type GPU and it'd be mostly fine

5 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

Hmm I didn't think about that, it depends i could do that but if buying 3 monitors is cheaper than a ultrawide ill go with the monitors cause it is a sorta budget build

You can get 1440p 21:9 displays for around $350-500 depending on if you buy korean monitors from ebay, which are generally safe

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You could just turn down the render scale in any game to like 75% at 1080p or something on an RX 580 type GPU and it'd be mostly fine

You can get 1440p 21:9 displays for around $350-500 depending on if you buy korean monitors from ebay, which are generally safe

2 minutes ago, imbrock said:

I don't know if it would take that much computer. I've done that with pretty low end  last gen amd parts before, I never had any issues.

3 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

not budget but the build in my signature is what i use with the asus monitor in portrait mode for things like discord, my samsung 4k in the middle for what i'm doing  and the LG 4k tv for media, usually youtube, netflix or blurays.  even when i was using my old 970, or 66ti i never had a problem doing 3 monitors for what you are describing (although it was 1080p monitors back then)

thanks heaps guys Im still pretty new to this type of stuff so im just making sure I get some decent info on this stuff before making an irriversablly expensive mistake

4 minutes ago, MasterLow said:

thanks heaps guys Im still pretty new to this type of stuff so im just making sure I get some decent info on this stuff before making an irriversablly expensive mistake

Just post your total budget/country for the new PC and monitors

Spoiler