New build with a few questions

Sponkala

So I've been thinking about getting a more powerful pc for a while now. My old gtx 780 bit the dust a few days ago so I thought it might be finally time for me to move forward 

with my plans. Here's what I've come up with for now.

I'm from Finland so you can ignore the pricing above. The cpu, motherboard and M.2 drive come in a bundle, saving a few bucks, otherwise I probably would've left out the M.2 drive and gone for a cheaper mobo. The CPU cooler, PSU and SSD are from my old build and are mainly where my questions are from.

1. Would it be worth it for me to buy a better cooler to achieve better clockspeeds, or could the old one achieve moderate results? And if you suggest upgrading, what cooler comes first to mind to you?

2. The PSU is quite old, do I have to take that into account or am I fine on that front?

3. Is it possible to somehow use the Windows from the SSD on the new pc, or do I need to buy a new copy of Windows? The Windows on the SSD was Windows 7 or 8 before moving to 10 and I don't have the installation CD anymore.

4. Lastly, I'm not quite sure what GPU to go with. I was looking at 1070, 1660ti and 2060 as possible candidates since I'd like to continue using ShadowPlay.

The pc would mainly be used for gaming (from CSGO to AAA-games) and light editing/photoshop, nothing too taxing though.

I'm happy to answer any possible questions, thanks for the help!

I'd suggest the Corsair H100i v2, so you can overclock and really take use of the k cpu. how old is old for the psu? and as far as i know, windows 10 can only be on 1 machine, but 7 and maybe 8 could have been re-installed with the product key. if its in your budget, how do you feel about a 1070ti?

5 minutes ago, Sponkala said:

1. Would it be worth it for me to buy a better cooler to achieve better clockspeeds, or could the old one achieve moderate results? And if you suggest upgrading, what cooler comes first to mind to you?

If you don't plan on overclocking, I'd keep the cooler you have rn. If you plan on OCing, I'd get a better one but I don't know enough about different coolers to recommend one.

Idk what to say about the PSU, it seems good to me but I don't have the knowledge. 

6 minutes ago, Sponkala said:

3. Is it possible to somehow use the Windows from the SSD on the new pc, or do I need to buy a new copy of Windows? The Windows on the SSD was Windows 7 or 8 before moving to 10 and I don't have the installation CD anymore.

It might work, nothing would get hurt if you tried to boot to the SSD. Otherwise you'll have to reinstall windows. It's not hard to make a new installer, just grab a thumb drive (back up the contents) and use Rufus to burn a Windows 10 ISO onto the drive, then boot to the USB drive and install windows.

15 minutes ago, Sponkala said:

4. Lastly, I'm not quite sure what GPU to go with. I was looking at 1070, 1660ti and 2060 as possible candidates since I'd like to continue using ShadowPlay.

I'd get either the 1660ti or 2060, depending on how much you want to spend and what monitor(s) you have

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

17 minutes ago, itchkowb said:

I'd suggest the Corsair H100i v2, so you can overclock and really take use of the k cpu. how old is old for the psu? and as far as i know, windows 10 can only be on 1 machine, but 7 and maybe 8 could have been re-installed with the product key. if its in your budget, how do you feel about a 1070ti?

The PSU is 5 or 6 years old, not sure about the exact dates. I would be open to 1070ti, but is it worth the ~70e price increase over 1660ti? (looking at prices Finland)

1 minute ago, Sponkala said:

The PSU is 5 or 6 years old, not sure about the excact dates. I would be open to 1070ti, but is it worth the ~70e price increase over 1660ti? (looking at prices Finland)

You should be fine with the PSU, i'd still use it. And it really depends on the 1070ti, the 1060ti is a great card, so you should be ok, i think

8 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

If you don't plan on overclocking, I'd keep the cooler you have rn. If you plan on OCing, I'd get a better one but I don't know enough about different coolers to recommend one.

Idk what to say about the PSU, it seems good to me but I don't have the knowledge. 

It might work, nothing would get hurt if you tried to boot to the SSD. Otherwise you'll have to reinstall windows. It's not hard to make a new installer, just grab a thumb drive (back up the contents) and use Rufus to burn a Windows 10 ISO onto the drive, then boot to the USB drive and install windows.

I'd get either the 1660ti or 2060, depending on how much you want to spend and what monitor(s) you have

I'm planning to do light overclocking, just to get my moneys worth of per core performance. Mainly I was wondering if OC is possible with the 212 at all.

Regarding the OS, I might be fine leaving a new copy of windows out of my budget if it goes as you said, thanks!

Right now my one and only monitor is 1080p, but I've been looking at buying a 1440p monitor along the with the new pc.

3 hours ago, Sponkala said:

Mainly I was wondering if OC is possible with the 212 at all.

No. Definitely go for something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Noctua D15. If you'd like an AIO, then the H100i or H150i. Even on a light OC the 212 is going to choke.