Need Amp or Dac or something for my Sony wh1000xm3 headphones

iiGoldenStorm

Hello, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on audio equipment.

Pretty much, I have a pair of sony wh1000xm3 headphones that can connect to my computer with a 3.5mm connector but they sound like crap.  The computer is old so I believe that the problem is with the onboard sound on the motherboard.  I was wondering if I could get just a DAC to fix this problem or if I would then need an amp too.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks

Using the WH1000XM3 will sound bad on anything when using 3.5mm, DAC/Amp regardless. That is because the internal amp has a DSP correction in place that is needed for them to sound correct.

17 minutes ago, iiGoldenStorm said:

Hello, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on audio equipment.

Pretty much, I have a pair of sony wh1000xm3 headphones that can connect to my computer with a 3.5mm connector but they sound like crap.  The computer is old so I believe that the problem is with the onboard sound on the motherboard.  I was wondering if I could get just a DAC to fix this problem or if I would then need an amp too.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks

I find those headphones sound bad plugged in. getting a pcie or usb bluetooth adapter would probably treat you better something with aptx, like this. a dac and amp would probably help make them sound better but won't be as good as the wireless mode of those headphones.  just really the unfortunate symptom of many wireless headphones.   https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Portable-Bluetooth-Transceiver-Nintendo/dp/B00ZYYPFHU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+aptx&qid=1555531230&s=gateway&sr=8-4