Help getting new thermal paste?

Current thermal paste is old is there a good budget option under 10 dollars?

MX-2 is what i use for a cheap paste, MX-4 is regarded as "bang for buck" but i never end up buying it. Dont get AS5, its old and not worth the money.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Dracossaint said:

artic mx-4 is descent. exactly 10$ on amazon
or artic silver 5 4$

How long will they last after opened

1 minute ago, Puffing said:

How long will they last after opened

kinda hard to give a definite answer, typically its good for 3-5 years depending on the paste. If you want some good non curing grease (it dosnt dry out) kryonauts the way to go and its $10 now also.(use to be $15)

21 minutes ago, Dracossaint said:

artic mx-4 is descent. exactly 10$ on amazon
or artic silver 5 4$

Get the mx-4 likeDracossaint said.  I have used and cleaned and used this mx-4 and it doesn't let me down at all, just make shure you don't use too much paste.  People usually put some in the middle and it all flatten out and covers the entire block and CPU.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Don't bother with AC5 its junk by today's standers

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Dont get AS5, its old and not worth the money.

Whilst MX-4 is certainly a fine paste, there is nothing wrong with AS5 either. I find MX-4 separates a bit when in storage so each time I go to use it I have to sort of 'pre-use' it as it were... and waste some just to get the runny liquid out which has separated from the rest of the paste. Kind of annoying really.

AS5 is a thicker paste, but that makes it easier to handle and apply in my opinion, but you will also likely need to use slightly more of it to get as good of coverage. temp-wise MX-4 and AS5 are basically the same with a correct application and after a slight 'burn-in' from AS5 it's even technically slightly better (but we're talking differences of less than like 1C in either direction lol). The only thing of note with these two pastes is that MX-4 is non-capacitive and non-conductive, whereas AS5 is only non-conductive (although it's capacitive levels are hardly worth mentioning).

I've used AS5, AS5 is fine. I've used MX-4, MX-4 is fine. use whichever you want for whatever reason you want, but AS5 is hardly "old" and "junk" as these guys have claimed

ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition - Thermal Compound Paste - Carbon Based High Performance - Heatsink Paste - Thermal Compound CPU for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material - High Durability - 4 Grams

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MB-000S-00016

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Whilst MX-4 is certainly a fine paste, there is nothing wrong with AS5 either. I find MX-4 separates a bit when in storage so each time I go to use it I have to sort of 'pre-use' it as it were... and waste some just to get the runny liquid out which has separated from the rest of the paste. Kind of annoying really.

AS5 is a thicker paste, but that makes it easier to handle and apply in my opinion, but you will also likely need to use slightly more of it to get as good of coverage. temp-wise MX-4 and AS5 are basically the same with a correct application and after a slight 'burn-in' from AS5 it's even technically slightly better (but we're talking differences of less than like 1C in either direction lol). The only thing of note with these two pastes is that MX-4 is non-capacitive and non-conductive, whereas AS5 is only non-conductive (although it's capacitive levels are hardly worth mentioning).

I've used AS5, AS5 is fine. I've used MX-4, MX-4 is fine. use whichever you want for whatever reason you want, but AS5 is hardly "old" and "junk" as these guys have claimed

I have as5 and it seems that it is turning to crap fast. I opened the seal a year ago

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition - Thermal Compound Paste - Carbon Based High Performance - Heatsink Paste - Thermal Compound CPU for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material - High Durability - 4 Grams

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MB-000S-00016

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008

What the is the diff3ence between 2019 edition and standard, is there one?

3 minutes ago, Puffing said:

I have as5 and it seems that it is turning to crap fast. I opened the seal a year ago

Could you define "turning to crap fast"? That's not exactly the most objective description of a problem I've ever heard...

Just now, Zyndo said:

Could you define "turning to crap fast"? That's not exactly the most objective description of a problem I've ever heard...

Haha... I recently was getting 40-50 c idle in my 7700k with an h100i so I re applied thermal paste and it was lower for maybe 2-3 days but then went back to 40-50 c idle. This could be a cooler problem As well but I doubt it

2 minutes ago, Puffing said:

Haha... I recently was getting 40-50 c idle in my 7700k with an h100i so I re applied thermal paste and it was lower for maybe 2-3 days but then went back to 40-50 c idle. This could be a cooler problem As well but I doubt it

sounds like a different source of error to be honest. I used as5 for a couple years on several systems before i tried a different paste and never had this issue. Whilst it's true paste does dry out and lose it's thermal conductivity over time, that doesn't happen in even a year with AS5, let alone 2-3 days.

Just now, Zyndo said:

sounds like a different source of error to be honest. I used as5 for a couple years on several systems before i tried a different paste and never had this issue. Whilst it's true paste does dry out and lose it's thermal conductivity over time, that doesn't happen in even a year with AS5, let alone 2-3 days.

Crap... ummm Soo the cooler?

3 minutes ago, Puffing said:

Crap... ummm Soo the cooler?

or an incorrect application. or a bad seating. or your system isn't actually idling (and is doing stuff in the background) or the liquid in your cooler is heated from recent heavy use and hasn't had the correct amount of time to revert to ambient temperature when you took your readings or your reporting software is bugging out or there was a small bubble in the paste which causes an air pocket and bad thermal transfer, or any number of other reasons.

So it COULD be the cooler, but it could be so many things.

The Noctua paste is great to work with.  I believe it's around $7.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case