Help with new build | Streaming: Gaming/Video Editing | High-End

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forums and came here after watching a lot of Linus' videos on YouTube. I'll be giving my current PC and I want to build a new one for myself, but since I built my last PC in 2004 I could need some help with some details.

I will be using this machine for gaming (Apex Legends, Sekiro, The Division 2, Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk 2077 - 30% FPS shooter and 70% triple A titles) as well as creative work (Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Adobe After EffectsPremiere Pro - that's all for now) I am not using 4k footage as of right now, but I might be doing so in the future. I will be streaming both of these things on twitch. I've only recently gotten into the creative side of things, so right now I'd say it's 75% gaming and 25% creative work, but that might change as I'm really enjoying it and already did some intros/transitions for fellow streamers.

Currently using two 34" 3440x1440 120 Hz ultrawide monitors. I don't necesarrily need the ability to do both gaming and rendering AE projects at the same time, but it might be handy sometimes tbh.

Location is Germany and the budget is max. 6.000 EUR - I don't need monitors/peripherals, and already have a case (Antec Torque), 1x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe SSD and more storage, so that is also taken care of.

I need advice on CPU, GPU, Mobo and Ram for my usecase.

CPU: 9900K vs. HEDT (9980XE?)

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix/Matrix 2080 Ti (I am waiting for the new ASUS PG35QV like a lot of people - will a single 2080 Ti be able to push enough frames on such a beast of a monitor if it ever releases? (Ultra, 120+ Hz))

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB vs 64 GB - also: 3200MhZ CL14, vs 3600 MhZ CL17?

Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Asus ROG Ramapge VI Extreme for the HEDT version of this build)

As you can tell I am a fan of ASUS products - and while I know that there are sometimes better options out there, I like my things to look clean and fitting a certain theme, for this build I want to go ASUS/ROG.

IBest performance is what I am going for. Thank you for reading all of this, any advice is much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Thank you for taking the time and putting that build together for me. Looks really good, and exactly what I had in mind - thank you! 

Now a more tech-savvy friend of mine commented that I should go HEDT for PCIe-Lanes. I did my research and apparently we are starting to run into limitations with 8x/8x NVLink vonfigurations but it's not huge. I assume the lower clock of the 9980XE would be more of a problem for my use-case right?

Also I'm just not blown away by the 9980XE performance if I'm being completely honest. But if that is something to consider, please let me know.

2 questions: Is Corsair personal preference or is there a good reason to go Corsair>G.skill ? Should I go for the 360mm version of the Ryujin Cooler as the 9900K tends to run hot?

18 minutes ago, 4flatturbo said:

Thank you for taking the time and putting that build together for me. Looks really good, and exactly what I had in mind - thank you! 

Now a more tech-savvy friend of mine commented that I should go HEDT for PCIe-Lanes. I did my research and apparently we are starting to run into limitations with 8x/8x NVLink vonfigurations but it's not huge. I assume the lower clock of the 9980XE would be more of a problem for my use-case right?

Also I'm just not blown away by the 9980XE performance if I'm being completely honest. But if that is something to consider, please let me know.

2 questions: Is Corsair personal preference or is there a good reason to go Corsair>G.skill ? Should I go for the 360mm version of the Ryujin Cooler as the 9900K tends to run hot?

Might as well go for the 360mm, Corsair is just kinda my preference and would look really good with this build. ? 

Its really up to you with the 9980xe, but honestly I’d just go with the 9900k or wait for AMD's Zen 2. 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

21 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Wow thank you - interesting read. A 9980XE would fit in the budget, but I don't think video editing will ever surpass the amount of gaming I do. Although at the resolution I'm gaming at - does 9900k vs 9980xe even make that much of a difference? Should be down to GPU mostly, no? 

8 minutes ago, 4flatturbo said:

Wow thank you - interesting read. A 9980XE would fit in the budget, but I don't think video editing will ever surpass the amount of gaming I do. Although at the resolution I'm gaming at - does 9900k vs 9980xe even make that much of a difference? Should be down to GPU mostly, no? 

You're welcome. Someone else here can give you a more informed answer to that question. If you click on Solutions > Hardware Recommendations at the top of that page, you can also see recommendations for Photoshop, Lightroom, and After Effects.

If one is using RGB components then one has to be careful about choosing parts that offer compatibility with the motherboard controls. Aura Sync in the case of Asus motherboards.

Given the budget one may as well go for an HEDT cpu. The i9-9960X offers excellent Premiere Pro performance and very decent gaming performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9960X 3.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€1729.00 @ Caseking) 
CPU Cooler: Asus - ROG RYUJIN 360 121.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€247.91 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  (€369.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€739.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB MATRIX Video Card  (€1799.00) 
Case: Antec - TORQUE ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For €0.00) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€145.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €5029.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-16 18:28 CEST+0200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.