Disk active time 100% but Read Write 0 KB/s including Avg. Respond time 0 ms

Anime4000

Hello guys.

My computer now acting weird, I have 1TB HDD just for Games (where Steam, Origin, etc... are stored)

During gaming sessions, the HDD suddenly 100% at Active Time while everything is Zero KB/s and Zero ms

783329024_TaskManager.png.06ca9582b0d0c7533fa7d426dc24c4a8.png

So I plan do clean format of Windows 10 1803, take out existing SSD, replace with blank SSD and format, just for testing

Turn out, it still happen, HDD 100% with Zero R/W and Zero ms,

upon googling, found some results say, HDD is going to dead,

so I try run several test based what Google show me:

1015282108_CrystalDiskInfo7.0.4x64A.png.f1d569901a86a1eb74d2971ff42894ea.png

1102838955_DLGDIAG-SelectAnOptionA.png.c570b0ad141d1ec5198f610f4a7af23d.png

This is content of the Game disk:

1533281479_CommandPrompt.png.1ab694489f02076e8755d86e9b341994.png

Before it never happen, since first purchase

Any idea?

My PC Specification: https://valid.x86.fr/qsznp0

10 minutes ago, NinJake said:

What happens if you take a large file (or group of files) and copy them over to the E: drive?

Do you see the read/write going up during the copy process?

Okay, currently testing copy bunch ISO file from HDD F:\ (Repository) to E:\ (Steam)

cp.png.ab8893db76e5b8246911d3b451e03326.png

Could be a failing drive, it's over 1000 days of power on hours and when I see standard mechanical drives that have 100% disk usage all the time paired with being that old, 9 times out of 10 it's a failing drive. Doing anything other than changing out the drive that is actually having issues isn't going to fix the problem. Swapping out your SSD isn't going to affect your standard HDD. You might want to replace the drive. Run HDTunePro if possible, but usually when I see drives experiencing what yours is I immediately replace it, those drives are cheap enough that it's better not to risk it. Plus Macrium Reflect is super easy to use and depending on how bad the drive is you can usually have it cloned to the new drive in just a couple hours without losing any information. I do at least 3 HDD replacements a day with almost identical circumstances to yours and from my personal experience it's almost always a failing drive.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Could be a failing drive, it's over 1000 days of power on hours and when I see standard mechanical drives that have 100% disk usage all the time paired with being that old, 9 times out of 10 it's a failing drive. Doing anything other than changing out the drive that is actually having issues isn't going to fix the problem. Swapping out your SSD isn't going to affect your standard HDD. You might want to replace the drive. Run HDTunePro if possible, but usually when I see drives experiencing what yours is I immediately replace it, those drives are cheap enough that it's better not to risk it. Plus Macrium Reflect is super easy to use and depending on how bad the drive is you can usually have it cloned to the new drive in just a couple hours without losing any information. I do at least 3 HDD replacements a day with almost identical circumstances to yours and from my personal experience it's almost always a failing drive.

What you say is correct, my gut also tell the HDD is going to kaput... but computer component are not cheap in my country.

Howeevr, S.M.A.R.T. reported that HDD is good and well, since most of the time that HDD sitting idle unless I game.

1 minute ago, Anime4000 said:

What you say is correct, my gut also tell the HDD is going to kaput... but computer component are not cheap in my country.

Howeevr, S.M.A.R.T. reported that HDD is good and well, since most of the time that HDD sitting idle unless I game.

well, the question is do you value your data?

if it doesn't fail today it will fail tomorrow. change it as fast as possible

3 hours ago, Anime4000 said:

I've had plenty of drives that have said in a testing application they were fine but really weren't, I don't usually base everything on what S.M.A.R.T or HDTune says for that reason they check for specific issues not everything. And even though it is sitting idle the drive is still running, the disk is still spinning no matter what if it's getting power, doesn't matter if it's in use or not.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

18 hours ago, Technomancer__ said:

well, the question is do you value your data?

if it doesn't fail today it will fail tomorrow. change it as fast as possible

nah, just game stored there

15 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I've had plenty of drives that have said in a testing application they were fine but really weren't, I don't usually base everything on what S.M.A.R.T or HDTune says for that reason they check for specific issues not everything. And even though it is sitting idle the drive is still running, the disk is still spinning no matter what if it's getting power, doesn't matter if it's in use or not.

15 hours ago, TheWiseGuy said:

first, SSD 120GB cost 60 USD and 1TB SSD cost 313 USD in my country,

plus 1 TB HDD cost 80 USD, all computer component very expansive

Now take game data out to another friend HDD,

Run ATA Secure Erase (take 4 hours)

Run GParted, make new partition, GPT Scheme, NTFS 32K blocks (without Microsoft reserved partition)

Boot into Windows, change NTFS security: Owner is SYSTEM, Permission: Everyone (make ACL light as FAT32, cant use exFAT since Steam mark it as FAT32)

Restore backup game

Play game to test

so far so good.

I just make larger Allocation unit size from 4K to 32K, since many game using one large *.pak files make reading faster a bit