AirPort Extreme server/nas thing?

Ok guys, so I’m a noob when it comes to like servers and NAS and stuff like that, but I was wondering if I could attach a 2tb drive to my Apple AirPort Extreme (it’s an external drive) and if I did what benefits it could have. 

Im easily confused when it comes to like raid and stuff so hopefully you won’t have to explain stuff like that to me.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

9 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Ok guys, so I’m a noob when it comes to like servers and NAS and stuff like that, but I was wondering if I could attach a 2tb drive to my Apple AirPort Extreme (it’s an external drive) and if I did what benefits it could have. 

Im easily confused when it comes to like raid and stuff so hopefully you won’t have to explain stuff like that to me.

Yes you can add a USB Hard Drive to the AirPort. It would act as network attached storage for you internal network accessible from any device on your network. You can also enable access from outside your network as well. Benefits would be be able to access files from multiple devices, you could backup files from devices to that disk for safe keeping. Downside to this is file transfer speeds tend to be slow less than 100MBps especially when writing or reading from the drive over WiFi.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

6 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Yes you can add a USB Hard Drive to the AirPort. It would act as network attached storage for you internal network accessible from any device on your network. You can also enable access from outside your network as well. Benefits would be be able to access files from multiple devices, you could backup files from devices to that disk for safe keeping. Downside to this is file transfer speeds tend to be slow less than 100MBps especially when writing or reading from the drive over WiFi.

Ok, I might end up doing it. Thanks for your help.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

2 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Ok, I might end up doing it. Thanks for your help.

If you need help setting it up here is a little article on how to do it.

https://wccftech.com/set-up-network-attached-storage-on-airport-extreme/

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

33 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Ok, I might end up doing it

Its pretty not a great way of doing a nas, unless you are directly connected to the station via ethernet then its slow and I often had problem with the drive disconnecting from my Mac. 

I would suggest making a folder or drive shared on an existing computer as it is just a better way of doing it

I make intelligent lights do cool things