Is a dedicated music device a bad idea, since 3.5 inch Jack's are dying

KING OF THE DIRTY DANS

I have been wondering, since Samsung is getting rid of the jack on their Fold, just like everyone else. 

If it is worth it to have a device like a Walkman with Dolby NR or and iPod bootlegged with FLAC files. 

The only downside I see is having 2 things to carry

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

I use a FiiO X3K myself ..brilliant little DAP ..also seconds as my PC headphone DAC ..night and day difference between my Asus Xonar D2X and it.. its way better.

Ofc u need a suitably good pair of headphones to appreciate it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

9 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I use a FiiO X3K myself ..brilliant little DAP ..also seconds as my PC headphone DAC ..night and day difference between my Asus Xonar D2X and it.. its way better.

Ofc u need a suitably good pair of headphones to appreciate it.

Would you consider the ATH-M50X a good pair of cans?

36 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Indeed, i use the ever so slightly lesser M50S myself, and they are great.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I have been wondering, since Samsung is getting rid of the jack on their Fold, just like everyone else. 

If it is worth it to have a device like a Walkman with Dolby NR or and iPod bootlegged with FLAC files. 

I thought the same way when one plus got rid of their audio jacks but I solved this issue by getting a fiio ubtr and ply music through Bluetooth aptx and it sounds great. That way you can still use your phone to control Spotify or services of your choise . Fiio also has the btr1 and BTR 3 featuring more powerful amps and ldac support.

4 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

For the price they aren't worth it you can get better head phones at the same price as m50x

Save yourself some cash get the M40X w/ Brainwaves HM5 angled ear pads.  

5 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Yeah, only downsides are 2 things to carry, and 1 extra wire. Upsides include: actually having a copy of the music on the device, rather than streaming, higher quality, better battery life on your phone as it isnt having to power the headphones.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Save yourself some cash get the M40X w/ Brainwaves HM5 angled ear pads.  

Listening to SOAD right now with M50X, They are fine

I'm sure they would be "fine" for most people not ever using a different set of headphones or coming from something cheap but they are not worth the price jump over the M40's with upgraded pads + the ear pads that are stock on any of the MXX lineup are absolutely horrible the M40 included I tore mine off instantly.

14 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I mean put a pair of DT 770 , HD 58x , akg k550 mk.3, status audio cb1, takstar pro 82 , and m40x all either same price or way cheaper , but all sound better. The m50 x sounds fine but never sounds the price tag. Nowadays it suffers the desease of "I own it so it must be good" from people who still use the thing.

I've owned the M50S, the previous model without the detachable cable, for probably around 5 years now. I've had to replace the foam cups and the cable, but the drivers and general structure of them have held up incredibly well. They're not audiophile grade, but they're pretty darn good and I'd have absolutely no trouble recommending them to someone.