Is my power supply enough?

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
7 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

US

Ah, easy. Plenty available. All have links to PCPP, then you can see what price that are at different stores and click on the store to be taken to the stores website for the item.

Absolute cheapest that you could go
Corsair CX550 (2017)
CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550

Acceptable
Bitfenix Formula 550W
Be Quiet Pure Power 11 500W

Preferred
Corsair RM550x (2018)
Bitfenix Whisper M 550W

If you're looking at a high end card like the RTX2080, you can probably afford to go beyond the cheaper stuff. Out of those I would personally preference the Bitfenix Whisper 550W.

3 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

Would the ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Socket AM4) USB 3.1 Gen 2 AMD Motherboard with LED Lighting be good with the parts im going to get

IMO the Asus Strix B450 boards are a little overpriced for what they are. Not bad, but usually equal or better stuff from other manufacturers for cheaper. I would definitely consider keeping the CPU & motherboard you have and look at the other upgrades first, and then maybe consider a new CPU & motherboard when the new Ryzen CPUs launch in a few months along with new motherboard chipsets... Though the Ryzen 2700 is still a good CPU and the B350 Bazooka will be fine if you're not overclocking, so consider CPU&Motherboard replacement low on your list of priorities.

I dont know if my current power supply is enough for my PC that im going to upgrade

I have a Thermaltake smart 600w 80+ certified ATX power supply

My PC upgrade is going to have a MSI RTX 2080 8GB, a B350M BAZOOKA motherboard, Ryzen 7 2700 w/ be quiet cpu cooler dark rock 4, Corsair Vengeance 16 GB RAM, Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED, and one 1TB hard drive and one 4TB hard drive

You should be fine, however I'd look to upgrade to a higher quality, and possibly beefier power supply before adding much else.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

You should be fine, however I'd look to upgrade to a higher quality, and possibly beefier power supply before adding much else.

Alright Ill look into it

6 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

I have a Thermaltake smart 600w 80+ certified ATX power supply

Junk. Low quality, group regulated design. Should not be used with the system you're planning.

6 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

My PC upgrade is going to have a MSI RTX 2080 8GB, a B350M BAZOOKA motherboard, Ryzen 7 2700 w/ be quiet cpu cooler dark rock 4, Corsair Vengeance 16 GB RAM, Corsair LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED, and one 1TB hard drive and one 4TB hard drive

If you can afford $1500+ on a PC, you can afford a decent PSU. Prioritise decent PSU above RGB fans. Also get a SSD as well for your OS. If you don't already have the B350M Bazooka, then maybe consider swapping it for something else, preferably B450 chipset for the Ryzen 2700.

Wattage wise a system with a Ryzen 2700 + RTX 2080 should be under 400W consumption.
Expect about $80 for a decent PSU like a Corsair RM550x, Bitfenix Whisper M, etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Abandon RGB fans and use that money to upgrade PSU and motherboard

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

well im not getting all these parts all at once im going to buy them when i can 

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Junk. Low quality, group regulated design. Should not be used with the system you're planning.

If you can afford $1500+ on a PC, you can afford a decent PSU. Prioritise decent PSU above RGB fans. Also get a SSD as well for your OS. If you don't already have the B350M Bazooka, then maybe consider swapping it for something else, preferably B450 chipset for the Ryzen 2700.

Wattage wise a system with a Ryzen 2700 + RTX 2080 should be under 400W consumption.
Expect about $80 for a decent PSU like a Corsair RM550x, Bitfenix Whisper M, etc.

yeah im buying these parts one or two at a time and i already own the B350M Bazooka but i am thinking on upgrading the motherboard after buying everything else

2 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

yeah im buying these parts one or two at a time and i already own the B350M Bazooka but i am thinking on upgrading the motherboard after buying everything else

Maybe hold off on the CPU for now then, wait for Zen2 (Ryzen 3000) series CPUs that will be releasing in a few months.

What is your current system that you're upgrading from?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

well im not getting all these parts all at once im going to buy them when i can 

That's a great way to waste time and money for no benefit at all. Save up and buy all the parts at once. 

:)

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Maybe hold off on the CPU for now then, wait for Zen2 (Ryzen 3000) series CPUs that will be releasing in a few months.

What is your current system that you're upgrading from?

ah ok sorry i should have said what i have now lol

right now i have a B350M Bazooka, a ryzen 2700, a 650w psu from thermaltake, evo potenza 8gb of ram, MSI RX 580 4GB and thats pretty much it 

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's a great way to waste time and money for no benefit at all. Save up and buy all the parts at once. 

yeah well i want to do it that way i really dont mind how long it takes to get everything because i dont need them right away 

2 hours ago, kitsuneshrine said:

ah ok sorry i should have said what i have now lol

right now i have a B350M Bazooka, a ryzen 2700, a 650w psu from thermaltake, evo potenza 8gb of ram, MSI RX 580 4GB and thats pretty much it 

Ah, so you already have the CPU and motherboard...

• RAM
  • Graphics card (& Power Supply)
  • SSD

Doesn't really matter which order you upgrade them in. RAM & SSD are fairly cheap so maybe that first. When you upgrade your graphics card replace your PSU as well - Don't use your current Thermaltake Smart PSU with a RTX2080.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Ah, so you already have the CPU and motherboard...

• RAM
  • Graphics card (& Power Supply)
  • SSD

Doesn't really matter which order you upgrade them in. RAM & SSD are fairly cheap so maybe that first. When you upgrade your graphics card replace your PSU as well - Don't use your current Thermaltake Smart PSU with a RTX2080.

oh ok well what psu would you recommend

What country?

15 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

Would the ASUS - ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Socket AM4) USB 3.1 Gen 2 AMD Motherboard with LED Lighting be good with the parts im going to get

US

Ah, easy. Plenty available. All have links to PCPP, then you can see what price that are at different stores and click on the store to be taken to the stores website for the item.

Corsair CX550 (2017)

Acceptable
Bitfenix Formula 550W

Preferred
Corsair RM550x (2018)
Bitfenix Whisper M 550W

If you're looking at a high end card like the RTX2080, you can probably afford to go beyond the cheaper stuff. Out of those I would personally preference the Bitfenix Whisper 550W.

IMO the Asus Strix B450 boards are a little overpriced for what they are. Not bad, but usually equal or better stuff from other manufacturers for cheaper. I would definitely consider keeping the CPU & motherboard you have and look at the other upgrades first, and then maybe consider a new CPU & motherboard when the new Ryzen CPUs launch in a few months along with new motherboard chipsets... Though the Ryzen 2700 is still a good CPU and the B350 Bazooka will be fine if you're not overclocking, so consider CPU&Motherboard replacement low on your list of priorities.

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Corsair CX550 (2017)

Acceptable
Bitfenix Formula 550W

Preferred
Corsair RM550x (2018)
Bitfenix Whisper M 550W

alright well thank you so much for your help and for taking so much of your time to help me