replace thermal paste on macbook air?

My macbook air 2014 keeps on getting close to 100C (i use macs fan control, but just to monitor the temperature), when like using imovie and stuff like that

will replacing the thermal paste make it better? 

or is it just the mac's processor is trash?

do macbook airs even have thermal paste?

1 minute ago, Sychic said:

Yes

No

Yes but it's the heatsinks and fans that are bad

can i do anything about that?

(i don't really think so, but just asking)

1 minute ago, noobofepicness66 said:

can i do anything about that?

(i don't really think so, but just asking)

probably not unless you're willing to custom mod it and probably make it huge and clunky

nah mate just throw the entire interior, keyboard and hell why not the entire fucking thing and get it replaced for three times what you paid for it originally! :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Yes

No

Yes but it's the heatsinks and fans that are bad

so, i should replace the thermal paste?

and it's worth it?

1 minute ago, noobofepicness66 said:

and it's worth it?

Probably not since you'd void your warranty. And it'd be hard to open up the macbook with some special screwdriver bits n stuff...

2 minutes ago, noobofepicness66 said:

and it's worth it?

No, it wouldn't be worth it to replace the thermal paste, it wouldn't give much of a boost in performance..

There isn't much you can do to fix it.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

10 hours ago, Sychic said:

Probably not since you'd void your warranty. And it'd be hard to open up the macbook with some special screwdriver bits n stuff...

hmm......

but it's probally too old to even have a warenty

try it out man!! see for yourself put some Kryonut on her it will help some at 100c anything lower is better!!

• 1 month later...

Ignore the elitists and go for it, it's a relatively simple and safe fix if you're careful. I recently did some maintenance on my friend's 2012 macbook air, and temps dropped by about 20 °C. Pretty much any thermal paste should do, temp delta by using the highest quality thermal pastes is pretty minimal. Just don't use some shitty chinese OEM paste and you'll probably be okay for several years.

Read up on some guides or watch a tutorial before you start opening it up and take your time, while following the guide. You will need a special pentalobe screwdriver for the case, because apple hates consumers. Be sure to also clean lint and dust out of the fans while you're inside the machine, that will help bring your temps back down. Just remember to take your time and not to misplace any parts or screws.

Good luck with your repairs