Pop os question

After seeing the video I wanted to try pop os out on a USB stick, however, I find that whilst in demo mode, I can't install steam at all, it downloads until the bar is halfway then says running and never moves again. The only app I can consistently download is gnome tweaks, is this due to pop os running in demo mode or am I missing something?
I also tried to use the terminal and I typed, " sudo apt install steam" and got an error message that I'll add as a picture. Any help would be much appreciated

IMG_20190410_101029.jpg

IMG_20190410_101827.jpg

The live version is fairly limited. Not everything will work on it. 

Run

sudo apt update

first. For future reference, error messages are there to help:

image.png.9246b6d1d6b6258173771cbe22a2e9d5.png

It's a common mistake to not read them as a new user, they can be very useful.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Run

sudo apt update

first. For future reference, error messages are there to help:

image.png.9246b6d1d6b6258173771cbe22a2e9d5.png

It's a common mistake to not read them as a new user, they can be very useful.

Ahh, I read it but I didn't know if it meant to run "apt get update" or something and I didn't want to start trying random commands so I was hoping for more clear instructions, thank you very much!

16 minutes ago, ccwky12 said:

After seeing the video I wanted to try pop os out on a USB stick, however, I find that whilst in demo mode, I can't install steam at all, it downloads until the bar is halfway then says running and never moves again. The only app I can consistently download is gnome tweaks, is this due to pop os running in demo mode or am I missing something?
I also tried to use the terminal and I typed, " sudo apt install steam" and got an error message that I'll add as a picture. Any help would be much appreciated

Btw it's not recommended to run a live version of popos, you may have better luck installing

Just now, ccwky12 said:

Ahh, I read it but I didn't know if it meant to run "apt get update" or something and I didn't want to start trying random commands so I was hoping for more clear instructions, thank you very much!

No problem. The most used apt commands are:

apt update

to sync with the repositories (otherwise you may get 404 responses because the URLs are not up to date)

apt upgrade

to upgrade all installed packages to the latest version

apt install package

to install or update "package" (you can install multiple packages at the same time, just type them one after the other) and

apt search keyword

which searches the repositories for packages that have "keyword" in the name or description.

By the way, whenever you read "apt-get" you can substitute it with "apt" - they do the same thing but apt is arguably nicer to look at and it's easier to type.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No problem. The most used apt commands are:

apt update

to sync with the repositories (otherwise you may get 404 responses because the URLs are not up to date)

apt upgrade

to upgrade all installed packages to the latest version

apt install package

to install or update "package" (you can install multiple packages at the same time, just type them one after the other) and

apt search keyword

which searches the repositories for packages that have "keyword" in the name or description.

By the way, whenever you read "apt-get" you can substitute it with "apt" - they do the same thing but apt is arguably nicer to look at and it's easier to type.

Ahh thank you very much for your help.

I plan to attempt installing pop os to an external ssd that well be able to boot to multiple computers so I'll likely make a separate post asking for help with that as I've already had a problem trying to install pop os to an external SSD that I'm unsure of how to fix or what it means

Again, thank you so much for the useful tips

47 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Btw it's not recommended to run a live version of popos, you may have better luck installing

Thank you very much, I plan to, I already tried but ran into something that prevented me from going further so when circumstances permit I'm likely gonna make another post about that