Hi,

I am building a server for a local company, they need capacity for backing up photos etc. (this is already done)

however they would like a system to backup their company IMAP emails to it, for the life of me i cannot think of a way to do it, 

any ideas?

TIA 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

36 minutes ago, LiamApex said:

Hi,

I am building a server for a local company, they need capacity for backing up photos etc. (this is already done)

however they would like a system to backup their company IMAP emails to it, for the life of me i cannot think of a way to do it, 

any ideas?

TIA 

What service are they using to host their email at the moment? (godaddy, outlook, etc)

Windows email server is probably your best bet if you're using outlook. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 hour ago, LiamApex said:

Hi,

any ideas?

TIA 

Where are their emails hosted? Locally on a server (Exchange Server, for example), or do they use a cloud service like Gmail/O365, etc?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Where are their emails hosted? Locally on a server (Exchange Server, for example), or do they use a cloud service like Gmail/O365, etc?

hi,

they have an external provider, however they wish to backup locally 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

6 minutes ago, LiamApex said:

hi,

they have an external provider, however they wish to backup locally 

What kind of external provider? An ISP? A major cloud based email service like Gmail?

The short answer is that unless the external provider provides a specific way to backup their email server, you'll likely have to host a local email server like Exchange (or one of the many open source alternatives), and then backup that specific server.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, LiamApex said:

Hi,

any ideas?

TIA 

These posts worry me.  Do people in the IT space really say they can do things and then just search forums until someone else tells them how to do it?

I wonder if my IT dept operates the same...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

11 minutes ago, Velcade said:

These posts worry me.  Do people in the IT space really say they can do things and then just search forums until someone else tells them how to do it?

In my experience, and what likely happened here, is he was asked for the server to do a few things that he knew to do and planned for, and then after everything is done he got the old "oh, by the way..." and they threw in the email backup.

56 minutes ago, Velcade said:

IT SysAdmin here. A large part of being in IT is being competent in solving problems that you don't know how to solve. That involves a lot of Googling.

However, this is definitely not typical of a qualified IT person.

2 hours ago, Acedia said:

Ghetto Email Backup Solution:

Get a PC, set up Outlook, add all mailboxes, set cache mode to full.

As a SysAdmin, my eyes bled as I read that...

7 hours ago, Velcade said:

IMO the tech that researches and asks how to do something he doesn't know how to do is way better than a tech who's pride greatly exceeds his competence.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

IMO the tech that researches and asks how to do something he doesn't know how to do is way better than a tech who's pride greatly exceeds his competence.

True - but it's a balance. You don't make promises you know you can't deliver on. Now, if you can work on something on the back burner, then yes, take the time, ask for assistance and knowledge, etc.

Check out MailArchiva. It is free for under 20 mailboxes and you can connect basically any IMAP account to it -- useful if your client is using some crappy mailboxes set up by their website host, ISP, or free webmail. Usually we will use it when a real platform migration isn't possible and just use it to archive the old accounts prior to permanently closing them. Just make sure you disable the expunge features or it'll delete the source data as the imap connector is meant to be used with special journaling mailboxes. 

10 hours ago, Velcade said:

It looks like a small business commissioning a file server from someone in their extended social networking and figuring they can get him to do a couple other things. That type of branching out is the basis of consulting and it's easy to get into unfamiliar territory really quickly. 

That said, IT is an extremely broad field and leaning on other professionals from time to time is acceptable, especially if you can find other independents online that don't compete in your market. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4