ASUS FX553VD running hot (cpu around 60 at idel)

the title basically enplanes it all, my cpu (7700HQ) runs at about 60 with only discord and software to measure cpu temp like i know laptops run a bit hotter but is that normal? 

i have given the inside a clean, mostly clearing out the dust ect and the temps stayed about the same temp, so like is it time for new thermal paste or what?

4 minutes ago, Hans Dampf said:

the title basically enplanes it all, my cpu (7700HQ) runs at about 60 with only discord and software to measure cpu temp like i know laptops run a bit hotter but is that normal? 

i have given the inside a clean, mostly clearing out the dust ect and the temps stayed about the same temp, so like is it time for new thermal paste or what?

No, I would say try to replace the thermal paste. 60C on idle is way to hot, even for a notebook

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

new thermal paste even when you've just received the laptop, true for all brands.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

ok thanks ill grab some new paste then when i can

but what paste would you guys recommend?

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

new thermal paste even when you've just received the laptop, true for all brands.

Well yes, but not all brands allow you to open op the notebook without voiding your warranty. I tend to only recommend or do it when the temperatures are causing issues or are just to high to be healthy, otherwise just leave it shut to prevent voiding someone's warranty without them knowing they're doing it

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Just now, Hans Dampf said:

ok thanks ill grab some new paste then when i can

but what paste would you guys recommend?

If seen multiple videos where they test if it actually matters, turns out the difference is a couple of degrees at best. I would just use whatever you have or some cheap one if you have to order. Do get one from a known brand, but that's op to you

thanks so much ill order some stuff when i get home :)

3 minutes ago, Hans Dampf said:

thanks so much ill order some stuff when i get home :)

Let us know the result, I'm kinda curious if it will get better with new thermal paste. (I know it will, just wondering how much better)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 4/10/2019 at 7:19 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Just curious why you link this post? It leaves alot of good pastes out and includes some that pump out rather quickly. 

There used to be a post that had rather scientific data about the most popular pastes and their resistance to the pump out effect in bare die applications. I cannot find it anywhere.

That being said on a bare die viscosity is everything on a laptop. The thicker it is the longer it lasts pretty much.

Also with most manufacturers they consider replacing the Tim self damage and void the warranty.

Lastly 60c is pretty average. Alot of laptops will not ramp the fans up until 55-60 to keep audible noise to a minimum. If it bothers you use Asus cooling over boost to change the fan curve before making any changes.

58 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Just curious why you link this post? It leaves alot of good pastes out and includes some that pump out rather quickly. 

I agree that the thread isn't perfect. It only includes mainstream branded paste (I think is sufficient). Except for NT-H1 which I don't recommend

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 4/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, Dioneyesos said:

Let us know the result, I'm kinda curious if it will get better with new thermal paste. (I know it will, just wondering how much better)

just got back from testing,
idle before was around 55 and after was around 45 
i did the 3d mark skydiving benchmark, before was 16002 and after was 16183
(i used thermal grizzly Kryonaut paste btw)