PC Won't Turn On. Need Help!

DaddyKevinn

I recently bought a new computer and it was all going swell and recently it been really picky on when it wants to turn on. The lights on the motherboard, graphics card and stuff light up but my peripherals don't light up and nothing boots on my display. I've tried reseating the graphics card and would try to update bios but my mouse and keyboard arent working soo... I would really like some help if anyone has any idea on how to fix it. Thanks!

Firstly, you should try to reset the CMOS and see if that helps. if not, try to unplug your power supply from the wall and press the power button- this should empty out any leftover electricity in tour mobo which sometimes helps in these cases. you should also check that all the front panel cables are plugged in properly.

- Start by taking all of the parts out of your case (if they're not already) and putting your motherboard onto a non-conductive surface like cardboard.

- Vertify that all of your components are compatible with each other: some motherboards may need BIOS updates to work with certain CPUs and not all RAM is vertified/guaranteed to work properly in every system (even if it's the same revision; e.g. DDR4).

- If you're gonna create a forum post for troubleshooting guidence, make sure to include ALL of your specs.

- Disconnect all parts that aren't needed (e.g. storage devices, sound cards).

- Make sure you know the right key to enter your BIOS (consult your motherboard manual for this).

- Some of these troubleshooting steps require spare computer parts, but if you don't have any, skip those steps.

1. Try using just one stick of RAM in your motherboard and make sure to put it in the appropriate slot (consult motherboard manual for this).
2. Try using different RAM modules (that are 100% functional) from another PC in your new system.

3. Vertify that your new RAM modules are working by trying them in another system.

4. When seating your RAM modules, make sure to push them in hard enough (newbie mistake)

5. Try reseating the graphics card and/or trying it in another PCIe expansion slot.

6. Try using another display output on your video card and another display cable (that is 100% functional).

7. Try using another graphics card (that is 100% functional) from another PC in your new system.

8. Vertify that your new graphics card is working by trying it another system.

9. If you have an iGPU, remove your dedicated graphics card and plug your display into a motherboard display output.

10. Try reseating the CPU and try to ensure that it's making good contact with the pins (or holes).

11. Make sure the PSU is working by trying it in another system and putting some load onto it.

12. Buy a POST speaker (if your motherboard doesn't have one) and listen for beep codes (Beep Code Meanings).

13. If your motherboard has a POST code display, check your motherboard manual to see what the code means.

14. Clear the CMOS by removing the battery for ~10 minutes and then putting it back in.

15. Make sure all of the appropriate cables are plugged in; 20/24 pin ATX connector, 4/8 CPU power connector, PCIe power connector(s).

16. Reseat all the cables and make sure there are no loose connections.

17. Try using another keyboard and try plugging it into a different USB/PS2 port.

18. Try using another monitor or display (that is 100% functional).

19. Try using another CMOS battery (they're usually CR2032).

20. Try using a screwdriver to jump your motherboard without a case power switch button (Gamers Nexus Guide).

21. If possible, conduct a paperclip test on your PSU (EVGA Guide).

22. Reseat your BIOS chip if possible (this requires tweezers and some patience).

23. Try power cycling your computer by turning on and off several times (Guide).

24. Try using another power cable/cord (that is 100% functional).

- If your problem still isn't solved, go through this thread: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation

- This Tom's Hardware troubleshooting checklist is also very good: "No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist

- If your PC still doesn't POST, create a thread about it and be sure to add detail: Read before asking for help

No POST situations can be very frustrating, but try to stay calm and don't skimp on any troubleshooting steps (even if they're time-consuming). Good Luck!

EDIT: I had the same problem a while back, turned out my motherboard was dead.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones