2700x or 9700k or wait till Ryzen 3000 series

Hey, So I'm putting to the side £1200 for a new build. Now the predicament is whether to go with a 2700x with a RTX 2070 or a 9700k with a RTX 2060. There's also the fact that apparently, the Ryzen 3000 is coming soon, so I don't know whether to wait for that to release. I'm going to be using 1080p and mainly used for games and small workloads Premier, Photoshop etc. 

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Id wait for zen 2, whats the current pc?

Current is Fx 8320 with a Radeon 7870, so it's pretty dated already. Just been waiting till I got the funds for the build and the right time to build. Paydays in a few days so I thought I should get around to buying parts. 

I'd wait for Ryzen 3000, but of those 2 options, I'd go the 2700X build. The 9700K won't benefit your use case all that much, it's not all that much faster. The 2070 would be more beneficial (though overkill for 1080p gaming).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'd wait for Ryzen 3000, but of those 2 options, I'd go the 2700X build. The 9700K won't benefit your use case all that much, it's not all that much faster. The 2070 would be more beneficial (though overkill for 1080p gaming).

True, there's also the factor that it's the AM4 platform so with a UEFI flash it can be upgraded with most mid to high-end boards. 

1 minute ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

True, there's also the factor that it's the AM4 platform so with a UEFI flash it can be upgraded with most mid to high-end boards. 

Yeah but there's not really any reason to buy an X370 board over X470.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:19 PM, Drak3 said:

Yeah but there's not really any reason to buy an X370 board over X470.

Besides price. Saw a x370 taichi (same as x470 but with different colors and an absurd amount of sata ports) for 150$

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

Besides price. Saw a x370 taichi (same as x470 but with different colors and an absurd amount of sata ports) for 150$

Tbh, I was just going to go with a B450 Tomahawk, Decent board for the price etc. 

The 7870 is going to be what's holding you back the most by far, you can always rebuild your motherboard, cpu and ram into a whole new setup. You could easily stick a RTX 2060 with an overclocked FX8320 and probably more than triple your performance in some games. Then you can decide if you want the rest of it sooner or later.

Just now, Slayer3032 said:

The 7870 is going to be what's holding you back the most by far, you can always rebuild your motherboard, cpu and ram into a whole new setup. You could easily stick a RTX 2060 with an overclocked FX8320 and probably triple your performance in games. Then you can decide if you want the rest of it sooner or later.

But with that I after m.2 support my current board doesn't support it. 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:22 PM, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Tbh, I was just going to go with a B450 Tomahawk, Decent board for the price etc. 

Meh, the x470 gaming plus is superior, but looks meh.

8 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Unless you're making the mistake of buying used or refurbed boards, X370 and X470 boards are going for the same prices for the same features. Which makes sense as X470 is the same hardware, with a firmware update and licenses to special editions of third party programs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Meh, the x470 gaming plus is superior, but looks meh.

Also more expensive really. 

41 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Hey, So I'm putting to the side £1200 for a new build. Now the predicament is whether to go with a 2700x with a RTX 2070 or a 9700k with a RTX 2060. There's also the fact that apparently, the Ryzen 3000 is coming soon, so I don't know whether to wait for that to release. I'm going to be using 1080p and mainly used for games and small workloads Premier, Photoshop etc. 

The 9700k and 2700X will game all but the same. (Trades off in a few games and you're not buying enough GPU to flex the difference.) What resolution are you playing at?

We're expecting 3rd Gen Ryzen in the June timeframe right now. Or at least we'll know after Computex. If you want to buy now, getting the 2070 will be better than the 2060, if the price isn't significantly higher. (A good OC'able 2060 will close the gap enough with the 2070 that the price difference normally isn't worth it.)

If I was in the market at the moment, I'd be focusing in on getting a good monitor deal, then building the system to suit that. Unless you're playing at 4K or high refresh rate 1440p, there's really not much effective difference between the setups you're talking about.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The 9700k and 2700X will game all but the same. (Trades off in a few games and you're not buying enough GPU to flex the difference.) What resolution are you playing at?

We're expecting 3rd Gen Ryzen in the June timeframe right now. Or at least we'll know after Computex. If you want to buy now, getting the 2070 will be better than the 2060, if the price isn't significantly higher. (A good OC'able 2060 will close the gap enough with the 2070 that the price difference normally isn't worth it.)

If I was in the market at the moment, I'd be focusing in on getting a good monitor deal, then building the system to suit that. Unless you're playing at 4K or high refresh rate 1440p, there's really not much effective difference between the setups you're talking about.

Currently, 1080p, not really any plans to upgrade soon as I want to sort the pc out before I do anything else money wise. I have other things as I'm saving up for new car, project car etc.

3 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Currently, 1080p, not really any plans to upgrade soon as I want to sort the pc out before I do anything else money wise, got other things as I'm saving up for new car etc. 

144hz or 60 hz?

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

144hz or 60 hz?

Standard 60hrz, If I do upgrade it would most likely be 144hz. I care more about smoother gameplay than the quality of graphics. 

Standard 60hrz, If I do upgrade it would most likely be 144hz. I care more about smoother gameplay than the quality of graphics. 

I'd get a 2600X and a good quality 2060, then just call it good. Ryzen 3rd gen will be "better" than both for the cost, but until you upgrade your monitor significantly there's no sense investing the extra money into it. You need a 2080-class to push 144p/144hz gaming, and the 2060s will do fine for 1080p/144hz gaming.  

I'd used the budget space for a case you like around 100 and a good quality x470 motherboard. (Don't need high-end.) Along with a good quality PSU. Without the monitor upgrade, the marginal cost uplift normally will get you better long-term utility and quality in computers. 

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You need a 2080-class to push 144p/144hz gaming, and the 2060s will do fine for 1080p/144hz gaming.  

That first part isn't true. I push 1440p144 with my 1080. A mix of high and mid settings, and I can do the same with my 1070.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd get a 2600X and a good quality 2060, then just call it good. Ryzen 3rd gen will be "better" than both for the cost, but until you upgrade your monitor significantly there's no sense investing the extra money into it. You need a 2080-class to push 144p/144hz gaming, and the 2060s will do fine for 1080p/144hz gaming.  

I'd used the budget space for a case you like around 100 and a good quality x470 motherboard. (Don't need high-end.) Along with a good quality PSU. Without the monitor upgrade, the marginal cost uplift normally will get you better long-term utility and quality in computers. 

Already have a Phanteks Enthoo pro, which I'm quite happy with tbh, so really no point in upgrading the case . I'm going to be buying a supernova g3 as well,  already taken that into account for the overall build price. 

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Unless you're making the mistake of buying used or refurbed boards, X370 and X470 boards are going for the same prices for the same features. Which makes sense as X470 is the same hardware, with a firmware update and licenses to special editions of third party programs.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Sorry, its not 150, but 160.

New, with warranty.

Clearing out old stock, just like buying last years model car.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

Newegg isn't much use for me, I live in the UK, but thanks anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'm familiar. In the same section you also see X470 boards with the same features going for the same prices. The only consistantly cheaper X370 boards are refurbs and used.

Newegg isn't much use for me, I live in the UK, but thanks anyway. 

Isn't there a Newegg.uk?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'm familiar. In the same section you also see X470 boards with the same features going for the same prices. The only consistantly cheaper X370 boards are refurbs and used.

Isn't there a Newegg.uk?

Nope, unfortunately, while they ship here, I would have to pay a lot more in import tax. Typically we use Places like https://www.scan.co.uk, https://www.Overclockers.co.uk , https://www.Amazon.co.uk & https://www.aria.co.uk for PC parts. 

15 minutes ago, TEHDARKSIDE said:

Nope, unfortunately, while they ship here, I would have to pay a lot more in import tax. Typically we use Places like https://www.scan.co.uk, https://www.Overclockers.co.uk , https://www.Amazon.co.uk & https://www.aria.co.uk for PC parts. 

Well that sucks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.