What should I upgrade for microsoft publisher to work more smoothly

Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Since your board supports 9th gen, you could go up to an i9-9900k, or an i7-9700k, depending on your budget.

For...... office work? An i7 8700 would be a much more reasonable choice if there's a need for more cores/threads, though first I'd upgrade to 16GB RAM in dual channel, 8GB is pretty bleh for multitasking in Windows (Macs can make do with 8GB, Windows is a bit looser with the RAM usage, and Linux is excellent but doesn't run MS Office). 

My system is:

Asrock B360m-HDV

i3-8100

8GB Crucial Balistix White 2400 MHz

Radeon Pro WX 3100

Problem:

I can't even move a column of about 15 pictures (optimized for the publication) without it being very stuttery. Both the CPU and the GPU reach about 30 percent when doing things that cause the lag.

Thank you so much for your time and if you can help me.

You definitely want better than an i3 for workstation use, I'm not very knowledgeable about newer Intel CPUs but an i7 of same gen would give a noticeable performance boost. You could also go for Ryzen 3000 with it being released fairly soon.

A girl who loves to love.

2 minutes ago, Aimi said:

You definitely want better than an i3 for workstation use, I'm not very knowledgeable about newer Intel CPUs but an i7 of same gen would give a noticeable performance boost. You could also go for Ryzen 3000 with it being released fairly soon.

Yeah my goal is to just upgrade one, maybe two, things. Hoping for less work lol, but maybe I will upgrade to a ryzen cpu and motherboard.

2 minutes ago, robotsalad said:

Yeah my goal is to just upgrade one, maybe two, things.

Since your board supports 9th gen, you could go up to an i9-9900k, or an i7-9700k, depending on your budget.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

For...... office work? An i7 8700 would be a much more reasonable choice if there's a need for more cores/threads, though first I'd upgrade to 16GB RAM in dual channel, 8GB is pretty bleh for multitasking in Windows (Macs can make do with 8GB, Windows is a bit looser with the RAM usage, and Linux is excellent but doesn't run MS Office). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

I thought I described the workload pretty well. Yes this is a work computer, I want to upgrade without my boss noticing so it has to fit in the case I'm using. I'll try another 8gb ram and if that doesn't work i'll try the cpu, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For...... office work? An i7 8700 would be a much more reasonable choice if there's a need for more cores/threads

I'm just pointing out how far he could go with upgrading, and I even suggested an i7 at the same gen as his i3 earlier.

1 minute ago, robotsalad said:

I thought I described the workload pretty well. Yes this is a work computer, I want to upgrade without my boss noticing so it has to fit in the case I'm using. I'll try another 8gb ram and if that doesn't work i'll try the cpu, thanks.

Yeah, you described it fine, I was questioning the other guy. The 9900K is a $550 or so overclockable 8c/16t beast, I don't think Publisher makes use of that many cores, or gets enough of a performance boost to justify the price over a locked 6 core. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Aimi said:

I'm just pointing out how far he could go with upgrading, and I even suggested an i7 at the same gen as his i3 earlier.

Just recommend a CPU directly then. Sure he could go to a 9900K or 9700K assuming he has the budget, but there's pretty much no point for his workload, so why suggest them as well? 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Just recommend a CPU directly then. Sure he could go to a 9900K or 9700K assuming he has the budget, but there's pretty much no point for his workload, so why suggest them as well? 

I haven't sat down and memorized 8th gen i7s, sorry.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

I haven't sat down and memorized 8th gen i7s, sorry.

Take 5 minutes to google or look through PCPartPicker then, that's the only reason I know them. 

Main PC 

For anyone with the same question, I upgraded to another stick of ram so it's in dual channel and got a noticeable performance increase. New, higher clocked, processor with more cores is on the way so that should take care of any stutter.