Thermal Tape problem/question

I am a latecomer to the water cooling party when it comes to water cooling GPUs. And last night was my first time putting a water block on a GPU and Iran into an issue that I am not sure about, so I stopped and came to ask you fine folks for some help/advice.  I am wanting to put an Alphacool water block on my RTX 2080 ti FE. When I got to the part where I was putting on the thermal tape I ran into an issue. first, the parts that Alphacool told me to put thermal tape on are not the same as what was on the card OEM ( the OEM covered more places), they called for less. And second, even at that, there was not enough thermal tape given with the water block to do the job, if I tried to cover what was OEM and (even if I did not),  the pictures of where to put the tape were right up into the part were it was an RTX 2080 just not a ti FE. The block itself fits and is the right one, just not the amount and placement of the thermal tape. So, my question do I trust where Alphacool said to place the tape and not worry and if not it is easy to see where the OEM had tape so putting more on is not an issue, but what thickness of tape do I use, because  the OEM used 3 different types looking at the front and back of the PCB.  Sending it all back is a huge issue for me seeing how I have a 1k GPU in pieces on my workbench and second and the biggest is I live in the great white north and getting it sent back and getting another would/is going to take a couple of weeks if not more.  Thanks for reading this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

Personally what I would do is keep the OEM tape on there - as long as the block fits. Make sure that it isn't putting any undue stress on your card - or block! - however. I would see if you can get in contact with Alphacool support, if just to let them know that they are not providing enough information in their product installation manuals.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

2 hours ago, limegorilla said:

Personally what I would do is keep the OEM tape on there - as long as the block fits. Make sure that it isn't putting any undue stress on your card - or block! - however. I would see if you can get in contact with Alphacool support, if just to let them know that they are not providing enough information in their product installation manuals.

I am trying to find Alphacool support, and am not having any luck, even with a wife who is fluent in German.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

How about some pics of what you are doing and what you need to do?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

How about some pics of what you are doing and what you need to do?

Guess that would help. The GPU with Red marked on it is a 2080 ti, red marks where Alphacool said to apply thermal tape. The other is what the thermal tape coverage OEM is. Hope this helps.

2080 TT coverage.png

thermal pad.jpg

So on the top pic, move the pad over to the right. Cover the vrms. But like mentioned you can reuse the oem pads assuming they are the correct thickness. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So on the top pic, move the pad over to the right. Cover the vrms. But like mentioned you can reuse the oem pads assuming they are the correct thickness. 

WIll do. Got a request into Alpha Cool for clarification. I will take you advice and wait for info from Alpha Cool. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

WIll do. Got a request into Alpha Cool for clarification. I will take you advice and wait for info from Alpha Cool. Thank you.

Can’t do much else if they didn’t include more pads. Can look up ek instructions and see what they do with theirs. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Can’t do much else if they didn’t include more pads. Can look up ek instructions and see what they do with theirs. 

Agree. Can re-use some of the tape from OEM but a big part of it just crumbles when you try and peel it off.  Lol I cannot do a project and not have a SNAF, sigh. Thanks.

Question, do I put the OEM PCB screws back in the card especially the four around the GPU chip? All that Alpha Cool has me put in only 4, the ones they sent. After put it all together it does not look like the GPU is touching the cooling block if I look at it from the side.  Thanks.

No idea, I’ve never bought there’s. I’ve only used ek blocks and using what they provide always work. Couldn’t use oem screws if you wanted to.