Network Drive Outside Of Network

Snotrap
Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Wanted to chime in and say Dropbox has the luxury of letting you designate a folder to sync which you can setup on as many devices as you want. So anything in that folder will be replicated to dropbox and then to every other device logged into it.

This gives you the advantage of workig off the file locally and quickly, while by the time you get to school it should be done syncin'g and ready to work on.

Hey all!

I've got a few projects which I develop on the go but I have a few issues;

1) When I want to work on the project I have to copy it over from my host machine onto a usb/my laptop and then re upload when I am done.

2) Can't make immediate changes to my project etc.

When I am at home I can just open the network drive in studio code and when saving it, the changes are immediate.

Is there any way that I can access my network drive via a VPN to my home network somehow? So if I am, for example, at school I can connect to my VPN and code as usual?

Any input is appreciated!

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

Install the free OpenVPN or SoftEther on a machine/VM at home or anywhere else that you want to run a VPN on. I use softether all the time for remote access.

The best long term solution to this is to use github or similar approach.

My second preference would be Dropbox (or Seafile for self-hosted)

VPN will work, though network shares over VPN can be quite slow; if your project is large it may be an issue. Also when VPN drops and you try to save a file at the same time you may run into some unpleasant situations.

Wanted to chime in and say Dropbox has the luxury of letting you designate a folder to sync which you can setup on as many devices as you want. So anything in that folder will be replicated to dropbox and then to every other device logged into it.

This gives you the advantage of workig off the file locally and quickly, while by the time you get to school it should be done syncin'g and ready to work on.