XFX - Why do people say to avoid?

Puddleuk

So on my journey to find a decent 280X graphics cards one of the cheapest to crop up was XFX. In fact XFX seemed to have the cheapest cards across the range here in the UK (Most of the time anyway). But when it came to seeing reviews and check deals on HUKD the comments section was filled with comments such as "Avoid, high failure rate" and "Avoid, awful RMA" etc. I saw these same type of comments on tech sites too when I actually Googled the supposed issues.

Yet despite searching I couldn't actually fine any solid evidence to support the claims and there was only a few users who even mentioned they had previously owned an XFX card. Either way I've chosen to avoid them myself since I'm not taking the risk.

So has anyone here actually used XFX products or can explain why the cards (and company) seen to have such a bad reputation online?

Thank you.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

If you're looking for a cheap 280X then go for this.  I've only owned XFX cards and wouldn't recommend them, the failure rate is indeed quite high and they're awful to overclock.  Their customer service is actually good though.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

They have bad BIOS and I've heard the quality isn't really good too. 

But their PSU's are great.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

@lachyman their PSU´s are mainly made by Seasonic.

No idea. I didn´t expierence any problems with my XFX R9 290. I did flash the Asus PT1 BIOS though.

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

@lachyman their PSU´s are mainly made by Seasonic.

No idea.

That's the reason they are great.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

If you're looking for a cheap 280X then go for this.  I've only owned XFX cards and wouldn't recommend them, the failure rate is indeed quite high and they're awful to overclock.  Their customer service is actually good though.

Already ordered my card from Dabs, getting the Gigabyte 280X with Battlefield 4. Just awaiting dispatch which should hopefully be in 1-2 days. Link I would order the MSI card now that its cheaper but cannot cancel the order since I got the Free bundled headphones (which have already dispatched). Still, should run cool, noise should not be a major issue with the R2 XL etiher.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

XFX cards tend to have coil wine, along with their failure rates.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Complete brain fart but just remembered I actually own an XFX PSU, but I knew from a review that they are Seasonic at heart. 850W is probably overkill but the 750W I wanted to get was sold out for ages and the cheapest was £130. But then I saw 850W for £125 and I thought, meh why not.

Project Tank

My XFX 7950 functions perfectly fine, was able to clock it at 1.05ghz stable and also the fans seem to be pretty quiet. No coil wine aswell.

I agree mostly with the BiOS complaints and the fact that they don't have great coolers. If a product lacks good BiOS support, it's essentially junk. No two ways about it.

I've had my XFX R9 290 (reference) for about 3 months now with no problems.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Not sure about the failure rate, but i did have an XFX card go bad on me once. The fan ground, and ultimately failed. Resulting in like 99c temps within minutes of starting a game.

I had a....pretty bad RMA experience with them a few years ago. They wouldn't even answer the support line phone(tried for days), and it took them several days to answer each of my emails. Again, this was three years ago.

i5 2500k@4.2GHZ       / Hyper 212 Evo     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core      / ASROCK z77 extreme 4 / Seasonic X series 1050w     / Azza Spartan case       / 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz      / Toshiba Crucial 256 SSD     / Hitachi 3tb storage drive    / Hitachi 1tb storage drive / WD My Passport 1tb storage drive       / Corsair K90 Keyboard      / Corsair M65 FPS mouse      / Asus vw246h 24" monitor       / Asus vs247h-p 23" monitor.

I have used XFX products for a long time now, since they made Nvidia cards. I had no issues up until I bought 2 7950's I have RMA'd the cards 3 times each in the 2 years I have had them. And while their support has been great I got tired of sending my cards back and forth to the states. I picked up an XFX R9 290 as soon as they came out and it died on me after a week. I returned it and bought a couple Asus R9 290's and they have been great. I may have just had bad luck but I wouldn't touch any more XFX GPU's. (Also I did buy a new PSU just in case after the second RMA of the cards.)

CPU: Intel i7 3930K:: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme :: RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz :: GPU: ASUS R9 290 Crossfire :: Case: Corsair 800D :: Storage: Samsung EVO 500GB SSD | 1TB Western Digital Black :: PSU: XFX 1250W :: Display(s): 3 x Qnix 27 inch 2560x1440 :: Cooling: XSPC 360 & 240 Radiators with XSPC CPU and GPU blocks. 

I only buy EVGA cards.

And if I was to buy a different brand it would be Asus or MSI. Don't go with half assed computer components. I buy the best of the best brand wise for every component.

Maximum... Game

Windows 7 'til 2077 CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz HSF Noctua NH-D14 GPU EVGA 780 TI ACX DISPLAY 2x ASUS VN248H-P RAM 6GB G.SKILL 1333Mhz MOBO ASUS P6T Deluxe SOUND ASUS Xonar Essence STX PHONES Sennhesier HD598 SSD Samsung 840 PRO 128GB HDD Western Digital Black PSU Corsair HX620 CASE Corsair Graphite 600T Artic White  MOUSE Corsair M65 Artic White KEYBOARD Corsair K70 MX Brown PAD Corsair MM200

So on my journey to find a decent 280X graphics cards one of the cheapest to crop up was XFX. In fact XFX seemed to have the cheapest cards across the range here in the UK (Most of the time anyway). But when it came to seeing reviews and check deals on HUKD the comments section was filled with comments such as "Avoid, high failure rate" and "Avoid, awful RMA" etc. I saw these same type of comments on tech sites too when I actually Googled the supposed issues.

Yet despite searching I couldn't actually fine any solid evidence to support the claims and there was only a few users who even mentioned they had previously owned an XFX card. Either way I've chosen to avoid them myself since I'm not taking the risk.

So has anyone here actually used XFX products or can explain why the cards (and company) seen to have such a bad reputation online?

Thank you.

my xfx is Hot, bad quality ,very very loud, fan speed  reach 70% in intense gaming on 75 c temps, at stock. and voltage locked at 1.25 volt. wich is insane....

dont buy xfx dude...

getting  asus instead now.

I've had my XFX R9 290 (reference) for about 3 months now with no problems.

Reference 290's are assembled by AMD. XFX just puts their label on it.

It's XFX's non-reference cards that's the problem.

there coolers are not up to the job. the 7950 and 7970 ones were the one that got them a bad name.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I have a XFX 7870 and love it

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

As a person who had to RMA a non-functioning card then the new card running at 80 degrees at stock under load, it's because their build quality is garbage and their coolers are useless. The extra 20$ is worth the 40$ savings on the shipping for the RMA you won't have to use because youy didn't go with XFX.

They gutted the warranty, and they're a second tier vendor. Go Asus or MSI before you think about XFX.

4 XFX GPUs and 3 XFX PSUs with only having to send one card in for a dying fan.

Because they are simply utter SHIT. I had to RMA my card and spend 50$ for shipping. Then the card I got back in the mail overheats to shit so it runs at like 95 in BF4 at stock. So it's just great FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT I REPEAT DOOOO NOOOOOOT BUY XFX DON'T TO IT!

I only buy EVGA cards.

And if I was to buy a different brand it would be Asus or MSI. Don't go with half assed computer components. I buy the best of the best brand wise for every component.

Gigabyte aren't that bad :P

A friend of mine is running the xfx double-d 280x and it hasnt had any issues! i would say ,go for it!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16