How much can you find out with a mac adress

Killerbenny04

Hey, The Question is pretty Simple. If somebody else has my Phone MAC adress, what can they find out about me in the worst case?

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz Gskill

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

Intel Core I3 530 4x 2,93 GHz

NVIDIA GeFroce GT 330 750 MB VRAM

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

Sorry for my English. I'm from Germany !

It's normally just manufacturer and maybe a modle number, you can always look up mac addresses using a variety of web tools such as this one
https://www.whatsmyip.org/mac-address-lookup/

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

3 minutes ago, Jekub said:

It's normally just manufacturer and maybe a modle number

So a Person that doesnt Know me, couldnt find out my name and stuff through that, right?

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

Just now, Killerbenny04 said:

So a Person that doesnt Know me, couldnt find out my name and stuff through that, right?

Nope, MAC addresses are tied to the device not the user, your phone has had the same MAC address since it left the factory :)

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

Just now, Jekub said:

Nope, MAC addresses are tied to the device not the user, your phone has had the same MAC address since it left the factory :)

Ok thanks, just one last question, do you know if my internet provider like Telekom here in Germany can see my MAC adress?

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

1 minute ago, Killerbenny04 said:

Ok thanks, just one last question, do you know if my internet provider like Telekom here in Germany can see my MAC adress?

Probably. 

Just now, Sychic said:

Probably. 

Ok, thanks.

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

20 minutes ago, Killerbenny04 said:

MAC addresses are only transmitted within your local network so your ISP wont be able to see your Laptop/phone/PC MAC address.  They will however be able to see the MAC address of your modem/router.

Just now, Meic said:

MAC addresses are only transmitted within your local network so your ISP wont be able to see your Laptop/phone/PC MAC address.  They will however be able to see the MAC address of your modem/router.

Ok, and are Mac adresses also transmitted when youre in range of a wifi network, but not connected to it?

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

20 minutes ago, Killerbenny04 said:

Ok, thanks.

There are ways to shall we say cloak one's mac address. But I will leave it at that, do not want to feel the ban hammer.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

Just now, Killerbenny04 said:

Ok, and are Mac adresses also transmitted when youre in range of a wifi network, but not connected to it?

Yeah, that is correct.

1 minute ago, Meic said:

Yeah, that is correct.

Ok, thank you :)

Ryzen 5 1600 Stock

Gainward GTX 1060 Stock

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Be Quiet! 400 Watt unit

Corsair Carbite SPEC 03

My Old shitty System :

4 GB (2x2) Samsung DDR3

3 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

There are ways to shall we say cloak one's mac address. But I will leave it at that, do not want to feel the ban hammer. 

As it is a privacy concern, not a malicious process, I think we should be fine to discuss this. MAC address randomization is becoming quite common to stop WIFI providers from tracking individuals, it is a out of the box option in Android P: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/08/android-p-feature-spotlight-per-network-mac-address-randomization-added-experimental-feature/

1 minute ago, Meic said:

As it is a privacy concern, not a malicious process, I think we should be fine to discuss this. MAC address randomization is becoming quite common to stop WIFI providers from tracking individuals, it is a out of the box option in Android P: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/08/android-p-feature-spotlight-per-network-mac-address-randomization-added-experimental-feature/

True, I see your point. Not enough coffee yet here. Thanks for bringing this up.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

4 hours ago, Meic said:

Microsoft also added this recently to Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027925/windows-how-and-why-to-use-random-hardware-addresses

9 hours ago, Killerbenny04 said:

A MAC address is the way that your device is identified on the network. Any sort of computer network that you connect to (wired, wifi, cellular, etc) will be able to see your MAC address because it is the only way for it to address your computer directly. But, MAC addresses do not leave the boundary of the network. Anytime you hit a router, the MAC address is no longer used and instead just an IP address is used. 

So if you connect to a wifi network, only the devices on the network can see your MAC address. If you connect to a LAN network, only the devices on the network can see your MAC address. If your cellphone connects to a cell tower, only the devices connected to the tower can you see your MAC address. 

Regarding if your MAC address can be seen if you’re not connect to the network—yes. Kinda of? Devices that connect to wifi networks are normally continually broadcasting little messages asking if networks they’ve previously connect to are available around them. As others have pointed out, a lot of operating systems now do they broadcasts with a random MAC address to alleviate the privacy concerns. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I think you can change your MAC address if you really wanted. 

21 minutes ago, fpo said:

I think you can change your MAC address if you really wanted. 

Indeed you can and it's not super difficult (depending on the NIC and how the mac is stored)

As this is for Privacy, there are MAC Changers, in fact, most newer and modern devices randomly generate a new mac address everytime they connect to a network, even if it's a known network. This means for example, if you walk down a high street in a straight line, from shop 1 through to 20, and your phone says "Hello! I'm a phone, my WiFi is on! What's your name?" they will all respond with their SSID (Network Name) Like "Shop 1 Eatery" for you to connect

In theory you could get the times of all these handshakes, without ever connecting to any of them as retrieving the information was enough you could plot all the points of your device and say with some degree of confidence they walked this way at this time

But now with the randomization it just says well here there was a device that requested this, and for shop 2, 3, 4, n they all show differently, thus being unable to show any pattern.