24.1gb of ram "hardware reserved"

im having some issues with reserved ram and was hoping someone could explain this for me.

I have 48gb ram installed (2x16gb + 2x8gb)and three GPUs (vega64+1070ti+750ti).

task manager says 24gb is usable, and the other 24 is reserved. after looking around I can see in task manager that my GPUs are reserving a ton of ram for themselves in the "GPU memory" section. vega= 24gb, 1070ti= 20gb and 750ti= 14gb. they also all have 12gb "shared GPU memory".

im rather confused by this. would be very grateful is someone could explain why this is happening and what the GPUs need that ram for?

26 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

im having some issues with reserved ram and was hoping someone could explain this for me.

I have 48gb ram installed (2x16gb + 2x8gb)and three GPUs (vega64+1070ti+750ti).

task manager says 24gb is usable, and the other 24 is reserved. after looking around I can see in task manager that my GPUs are reserving a ton of ram for themselves in the "GPU memory" section. vega= 24gb, 1070ti= 20gb and 750ti= 14gb. they also all have 12gb "shared GPU memory".

im rather confused by this. would be very grateful is someone could explain why this is happening and what the GPUs need that ram for?

GPU's are not reserving anything for themselves, it's your weird RAM setup that is most likely the issue, how are they arranged on the motherboard exactly?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, _Syn_ said:

GPU's are not reserving anything for themselves, it's your weird RAM setup that is most likely the issue, how are they arranged on the motherboard exactly?

8,16,8,16. the funny thing is, the system has actually been more stable in this setup than just the 16gb kit.

and if its not my GPUs reserving it, then why are those numbers being listed in task manager?

1 minute ago, Pesky Ngon said:

8,16,8,16. the funny thing is, the system has actually been more stable in this setup than just the 16gb kit.

and if its not my GPUs reserving it, then why are those numbers being listed in task manager?

Dedicated GPU Memory is your actual VRAM

Shared GPU Memory is the memory shared with your RAM, but its not actually reserved, it just starts using RAM when it runs out of Dedicated GPU Memory

GPU Memory is the total of Dedicated + Shared combined

You can see Hardware reserved memory on the bottom right in the GPU section

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, _Syn_ said:

Dedicated GPU Memory is your actual VRAM

Shared GPU Memory is the memory shared with your RAM, but its not actually reserved, it just starts using RAM when it runs out of Dedicated GPU Memory

GPU Memory is the total of Dedicated + Shared combined

You can see Hardware reserved memory on the bottom right in the GPU section

ah awesome. thanks for the explanation.

i had the reserved memory issue a few times too. 

consult the manual for your motherboard. it might say to put the bigger sticks of ram in specific slots or something else. 

She/Her

I have 48gb of ram (2x8 + 2x16). task manager recognises I have 48gb. but half of that is "hardware reserved" and I cant use it. can someone please explain what causes this and how I fix it, because for what im doing I need all 48 gb ? 

Could be a compatibility issue. You obviously are using mixed DIMM's because of the 2x8 and 2x16, are all other specs the same? 

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

4 minutes ago, Dioneyesos said:

Could be a compatibility issue. You obviously are using mixed DIMM's because of the 2x8 and 2x16, are all other specs the same? 

yep, mixed dims. both are recognised in the bios. both kits are rated at 2400, but im using 2133 to be safe. Im confused  because normally id expect it to either work, or not, rather than this weird in-between.

true it is a bit weird, personally I've never seen this and I've mixed dims before, desktop and notebook. Could you check the manual of the motherboard (like firelighter487 said in the previous post)

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Go to msconfig and then go to the 'boot' tab. Click on advanced options then tick box 'Maximum Memory'. 

See if that makes a difference. 

If it doesn't work, reboot and see if it works. It also is weird sometimes and then has to be unticked for your memory to fully allocate itself properly. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

true it is a bit weird, personally I've never seen this and I've mixed dims before, desktop and notebook. Could you check the manual of the motherboard (like firelighter487 said in the previous post)

yes, am planning on it but will be a few hours until I can get my hands on it. fingers crossed :P

21 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Go to msconfig and then go to the 'boot' tab. Click on advanced options then tick box 'Maximum Memory'. 

See if that makes a difference. 

If it doesn't work, reboot and see if it works. It also is weird sometimes and then has to be unticked for your memory to fully allocate itself properly. 

thanks, ill give it a try. ?

Merged threads. In the future please just report your thread for being in the wrong section next time!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB