my computer turns off unexpectedly

echy

i use my computer for like 3030-40 minutes and then the computer restarts unexpectedly causing it to shut down then start back up again.. this happened four times already. Any idea on how to solve it?

Depends on the cause. Most common cause is you're either overloading your Power Supply, or temps on your CPU are hitting thermal limits and your system is shutting down to protect itself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Without knowing the Hardware, the only thing we can tell you is to replace the computer with a working one.

FOr more  we need to know the exact components you have, including the Power Supply.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Without knowing the Hardware, the only thing we can tell you is to replace the computer with a working one.

FOr more  we need to know the exact components you have, including the Power Supply.

computer specs:
asus amd motherboard (prime x370-A)
ryzen 7 1700 (wraith spire led cooler)
g.skill nt series 8gb 288pin ddr4 2133
evga geforce gtx 1080 sc gaming acx 3.0 8gb
lg 24ud58-b 24inch 4k uhd ips monitor
corsair carbide series 200r atx mid tower case
wd blue 3d nand 500gb pc ssd
evga 600 b1 100-b1-0600-kr 80+ bronze 600w 

LTT guru's this must be the PSU uh ?  Some more info on your rig would help greatly.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Depends on the cause. Most common cause is you're either overloading your Power Supply, or temps on your CPU are hitting thermal limits and your system is shutting down to protect itself. 

my cpu in task manager is using 5% does that still mean the cpu can still overheat?

Why always the rather low end EVGA PSU in such a nice build?

Tough the Memory you have seems to be shit as well...

Is it  a prebuilt?

How many fans?

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

LTT guru's this must be the PSU uh ?  Some more info on your rig would help greatly.

computer specs:
motherboard: asus amd motherboard (prime x370-A)
cpu: ryzen 7 1700 (wraith spire led cooler)
ram: g.skill nt series 8gb 288pin ddr4 2133
gpu: evga geforce gtx 1080 sc gaming acx 3.0 8gb
monitor: lg 24ud58-b 24inch 4k uhd ips monitor
case: corsair carbide series 200r atx mid tower case
ssd: wd blue 3d nand 500gb pc ssd
psu: evga 600 b1 100-b1-0600-kr 80+ bronze 600w

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why always the rather low end EVGA PSU in such a nice build?

Tough the Memory you have seems to be shit as well...

Is it  a prebuilt?

How many fans?

well i have two of those rams sticks for 16gb, is it still shit? 

i have one fan for the case, one inside the psu, two inside the gpu, 

i built it myself, i didnt know what i was fully doing

in actually using the computer as we speak.. i dont know when it will shut down unexpectedly like it has been doing

1 minute ago, echy said:

well i have two of those rams sticks for 16gb, is it still shit? 

Yes, far too low frequency for ryzen, you loose 10-20% Performance with DDR4-2133 vs. 3200.

1 minute ago, echy said:

i have one fan for the case, one inside the psu, two inside the gpu, 

What Case exactly??
What Fan??
There are Cases where you don't need no fan (or rather can't use them), there are cases where you need them.

1 minute ago, echy said:

i built it myself, i didnt know what i was fully doing

That's when you should have asked people who know, before buying it...

If they know a bit or two about building PC, they told you to spend a bit more on the Memory and also get a better PSU...

But can you make Pictures of your build/setup??

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, far too low frequency for ryzen, you loose 10-20% Performance with DDR4-2133 vs. 3200.

What Case exactly??
What Fan??
There are Cases where you don't need no fan (or rather can't use them), there are cases where you need them.

That's when you should have asked people who know, before buying it...

If they know a bit or two about building PC, they told you to spend a bit more on the Memory and also get a better PSU...

But can you make Pictures of your build/setup??

its pretty cramped down there in my desk

i should have gotten that ram

the fans are just the ones that came with the parts

i also asked a lot of questions just could cover them all i guess

which psu do you recommend? 

20190401_224048.jpg

20190401_224056.jpg

parts 1.png

pls do away with those awful extensions/adaptors.

ANd does the PSU fan spin? Doesn't look like it does on the pic...

Not sure if it's related to the issue but you should really clean up that PC...

A girl who loves to love.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

pls do away with those awful extensions/adaptors.

ANd does the PSU fan spin? Doesn't look like it does on the pic...

i dont think i can get rid of the extention adaptors becuase its part of the psu... i think that only with low end psu's that you have to leave the extensions in...

and yes the psu fan spins 

4 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Not sure if it's related to the issue but you should really clean up that PC...

i havent cleaned it with thoughs air cans, i will try to invest in cleaning supply's

Just now, echy said:

i dont think i can get rid of the extention adaptors becuase its part of the psu... i think that only with low end psu's that you have to leave the extensions in...

Talking about the PCIe power cable plugged in to the graphics card. Looks like some sort of adapter you're using. Should plug the PSU directly in to the graphics card, no adapters/extensions in between.

1 minute ago, echy said:

i havent cleaned it with thoughs air cans, i will try to invest in cleaning supply's

You got lungs haven't you? Huff and puff and blow that dust out. :D

But it looks like the motherboard 24pin isn't fully inserted. Try reseating the cable and make sure it's plugged in fully.
image.png.1256a6a2f0130699b7c67d6f15748e30.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Talking about the PCIe power cable plugged in to the graphics card. Looks like some sort of adapter you're using. Should plug the PSU directly in to the graphics card, no adapters/extensions in between.

You got lungs haven't you? Huff and puff and blow that dust out. :D

But it looks like the motherboard 24pin isn't fully inserted. Try reseating the cable and make sure it's plugged in fully.
image.png.1256a6a2f0130699b7c67d6f15748e30.png

my lungs arent that strong lol, im not using extentions im just using the cabels that came with the psu.. there was no other option to plug it to the psu to gpu.. this was the only way. and the motherboard 24pin is fully inserted

3 minutes ago, echy said:

my lungs arent that strong lol, im not using extentions im just using the cabels that came with the psu.. there was no other option to plug it to the psu to gpu.. this was the only way. and the motherboard 24pin is fully inserted

I would have to agree with @Spotty here. That is definitely not fully seated. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, echy said:

It's not all the way in. I can see the gap between the connector on the motherboard and the top of the cable connector.

It's the side with the detachable 4pin bit, so it's possible that the 20pin section is fully plugged in while the 4pin extra bit is not fully plugged in. There's a little bump that locks the 20+4 sections together. If you still have trouble with it, might help to put the 4pin section in first and then plug in the larger 20pin section.

It should be plugged in fully, flush up against the connector on the motherboard. Yours is sticking up about 3-5mm from the motherboard connector. Might not be making proper contact and could potentially be the cause of your random reboots.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.14a9256f446f2b86730ee64fcb507989.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's not all the way in. I can see the gap between the connector on the motherboard and the top of the cable connector.

It's the side with the detachable 4pin bit, so it's possible that the 20pin section is fully plugged in while the 4pin extra bit is not fully plugged in. There's a little bump that locks the 20+4 sections together. If you still have trouble with it, might help to put the 4pin section in first and then plug in the larger 20pin section.

It should be plugged in fully, flush up against the connector on the motherboard. Yours is sticking up about 3-5mm from the motherboard connector. Might not be making proper contact and could potentially be the cause of your random reboots.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.14a9256f446f2b86730ee64fcb507989.png

i think you guys are right, the thing is is that is super loose, ima see if i can get it in more deeply

29 minutes ago, echy said:

you need to do some maintenance first (assuming everything is fine),

check bios version for updates,

clean every parts of PC. take apart & reassemble.

if it still fails, try to borrow a psu, then mobo 

pls unplug the 24pin connecor and look for burn marks on the Connector.

After that, connect it to the Board again. NOt just shoving it on there....

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

pls unplug the 24pin connecor and look for burn marks on the Connector.

After that, connect it to the Board again. NOt just shoving it on there....

its the 24 pin i cant get it to latch onto the latch on the the 24 pin port from the motherboard.. therefore its super loose