Worth getting an AMD 8 core?

I really don't see any reason to recommend the 8350 for any reason at all right now.
I smell something' date=' and it seems to be coming from this fanboy. The 8350 can keep up with the 3570k in alot of tasks. in any modern game that can use multiple cores, the 8350 shines [/quote']

Let me clarify: The 8350 isn't necessarily a poor processor on its own, but relatively speaking, it's a disappointment being AMD's current high-end enthusiast offering. I don't doubt that it's better than any i3 out there, but not any i5 and certainly no i7 (Ivy Bridge, that is, which should go without saying since the FX 8350 (Vishera) is AMD's current enthusiast offering. Of course there are some conflicting reports, but from what I've seen the i5 3570k has been consistently better, especially since games don't take advantage of eight cores, and the i5's single threaded performance is great. OP wasn't interested in overclocking which is why I suggested the cheaper-than-8350 i5 3470. The platform for Intel is certainly more expensive.

I am always open to respectful, civil discourse. I certainly don't appreciate you insulting me, Mentalguy, and I'm certainly no 'fanboy.' I always do my best to be objective with the information that I have.

Fair enough, we all have bad days. Thank you. I shouldn't have said there's no reason to suggest the 8350, since that isn't true.

I really don't see any reason to recommend the 8350 for any reason at all right now.
I smell something' date=' and it seems to be coming from this fanboy. The 8350 can keep up with the 3570k in alot of tasks. in any modern game that can use multiple cores, the 8350 shines [/quote']

Let me clarify: The 8350 isn't necessarily a poor processor on its own, but relatively speaking, it's a disappointment being AMD's current high-end enthusiast offering. I don't doubt that it's better than any i3 out there, but not any i5 and certainly no i7 (Ivy Bridge, that is, which should go without saying since the FX 8350 (Vishera) is AMD's current enthusiast offering. Of course there are some conflicting reports, but from what I've seen the i5 3570k has been consistently better, especially since games don't take advantage of eight cores, and the i5's single threaded performance is great. OP wasn't interested in overclocking which is why I suggested the cheaper-than-8350 i5 3470. The platform for Intel is certainly more expensive.

I am always open to respectful, civil discourse. I certainly don't appreciate you insulting me, Mentalguy, and I'm certainly no 'fanboy.' I always do my best to be objective with the information that I have.

I thought of getting an 8 core because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to upgrade my CPU and future proof it. I have more important things like a radiator or quieter fans that I could purchase. But since in the next 2-3 years I don't want my quad core to go out of date. I am not getting intel so stop arguing about it.

Well, the problem with recommending an i5 to the OP right now is the expense involved. He'd have to not only foot the bill for a new CPU, he'd have to get a new mobo as well. As of now, since his mobo does the FX4170, let's assume it can run the FX8350....so, this upgrade path is cheaper (at least, it certainly is in my neck of the woods). I ask you, have you tried this CPU yourself? I have Intel builds up the wazoo, and last year, when I was in the mood to build a new system, I decided on an FX build, and have gone from an FX4100 to an FX8120 to my present FX8350. Seriously, the FX8350 is a pretty solid CPU, I game and rip vids with it and it's been doing a bang up job.

There's been a lot of info about frame lagging on AMD GPU's on the net, but as a user of AMD GPU's, I see very little of this issue. Hence, I try not to go with what is posted on the net.....not saying I don't believe it, I do, just that I don't much of it. Certainly newer games do have this frame lagging, but I see with the GTX670 in SLi as well. My point is, if you have tried it out yourself, it gives you a perspective on what is on the net, and what you actually experienced. I have a top one of the top end Intel CPU in my main rig, and this FX8350 in my 2nd rig, and honestly, when it comes to gaming, both do very well.

Yes I do have an AM3+ mobo. Another reason why I wanted to upgrade was that I am slightly bottle necking at the moment. Just veeeery little amount though. I am running the 4170 at 4.2 GHz. And I have a RH 7870 GHz. At least that was what my friend said that I was bottle necking.

I just upgraded from a 4 core Phenom II to a FX6300, and its the one for you i would say, its awesome value for money and the 6300 is still 95W so remember the lower the watts the cooler it will run and less power to run it, all the others like the 83 series are like 125W.

i would say the 6300 is a good all-rounder and if you want more performance then upgrade your graphics cards ontop of the FX6300 you will be fine.

got to love Asus components

At this moment in time I can't recommend any intel CPUs until Haswell is released.

As for the OP, I personally would recommend waiting for Steamroller due late in 2013, you will get a much bigger performance boost from Steamroller, roughly 30% more for an equivalent quad core at the same clock speeds as your FX 4170.

Steamroller was confirmed to be compatible with AM3+ .

another thing to note, is that in steamroller the cores get an extra decode unit. so instead of 4 in the 8350 you get 8 in the 8450. which will greatly increase ipc.