I need help getting drivers for my gtx 1050

Kacurran
2 hours ago, Kacurran said:

So I am running Windows server 2019 data center. I want to run a VM so I can gift the VM to my brother. Well I can't get GeForce experience or any drivers. I am a loss. I also want to enable GPU pass through which I can't get to work.

Nvidia doesn't support GeForce cards in servers, you should be able to get the drivers installed though. However I'm unsure if the driver installer puts any blocks in place for Windows Server OS but if it does you can just point Device Manager to the driver INF.

However I think you need to drop back down to Windows Server 2016 and use the Windows 10 64bit drivers, that should work. https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/145534.

4 hours ago, Kacurran said:

well how do get it detected the drivers failed.

Tried using your Integrated Graphics. Remove the GPU then try installing the driver. works in rare cases

Neko52

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nvidia doesn't support GeForce cards in servers, you should be able to get the drivers installed though. However I'm unsure if the driver installer puts any blocks in place for Windows Server OS but if it does you can just point Device Manager to the driver INF.

However I think you need to drop back down to Windows Server 2016 and use the Windows 10 64bit drivers, that should work. https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/145534.

If I am correct, what you are trying to say is that the .exe file used to install drivers does not support servers, wherein you need to install it manually via device manager and looking for the .inf file

Neko52

5 minutes ago, Nathan The Neko said:

If I am correct, what you are trying to say is that the .exe file used to install drivers does not support servers, wherein you need to install it manually via device manager and looking for the .inf file

Correct, I just don't know if Nvidia has put a restriction in like that. I only know that in the EULA/ToS for Geforce cards that data center usage is not allowed and they won't offer support which is why there is no Windows Server drivers on their website for any of the cards. That's sort of new but in the past I've had Geforce cards working fine on Windows Server.

Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 are the shared common OS so that's what you need to use, because previously you could just download the Windows 10 driver and install as normal on Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2019 is not common with Windows 10, not enough.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Correct, I just don't know if Nvidia has put a restriction in like that. I only know that in the EULA/ToS for Geforce cards that data center usage is not allowed and they won't offer support which is why there is no Windows Server drivers on their website for any of the cards. That's sort of new but in the past I've had Geforce cards working fine on Windows Server.

Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 are the shared common OS so that's what you need to use, because previously you could just download the Windows 10 driver and install as normal on Windows Server 2016.

For some reason, Many servers tend to use Integrated Graphics, unless it has an Intel Zeon Processor.

And Windows Server 2019 is still buggy, The fact its released a few months ago.

Neko52

28 minutes ago, Nathan The Neko said:

For some reason, Many servers tend to use Integrated Graphics, unless it has an Intel Zeon Processor.

And Windows Server 2019 is still buggy, The fact its released a few months ago.

They use a low powered GPU on the motherboard because there is no use for a GPU in a server unless you are going to utilize it for Compute workloads in which case you need it dedicated to the task. Servers sit in racks and even during setup it's rare to have a monitor connected to it, there are remote KVM options inbuilt in to servers for that (IPMI/iLO/iDRAC/IMM etc).

I wouldn't say Windows Server 2019 is buggy either, I've not used it much at all but I've not heard of any specific problems. The issue here is that Windows Server 2019 is on a newer NT Kernel version, newer than that of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, so drivers for Windows 10 that rely on more tightly integrated kernel hooks like a GPU driver is unlikely to work. It's no different to trying to use a Windows XP driver on Windows 7 or a Windows 7 driver on Windows XP, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 4:56 PM, Kacurran said:

So I am running Windows server 2019 data center. I want to run a VM so I can gift the VM to my brother. Well I can't get GeForce experience or any drivers. I am a loss. I also want to enable GPU pass through which I can't get to work.

Turns out the card was dead and I can't remove the internal graphics with out taking out the motherboard

On 3/30/2019 at 4:56 PM, Kacurran said:

Thanks for the help I just installed Windows 10 and it works fine and it turns out Quadros are only able to use pass through