Sound Problems on a Laptop

Hey guys,

So since quite a while I am having a pretty big problem with the sound of my laptop.

Whenever I want to hear music/ speak on discord / view a movie or video: relatively frequent crackling sounds followed by about half a second of missing audio appear.

In addition the crackling sound is very disturbing as it is relatively loud in comparison to the rest of the audio.

I've tried to update Drivers, reinstall Realtek, did a hard-reset and nothing helped.

Ive tried multiple USB headsets and Chinch-Audio-Devices.

All of the devices work on other Laptops / PCs. Interference is neither the Problem

as if I plug it into my second laptop literally 10cm away from the plug of the problematic laptop everything works fine.

It really seems to me that my sound-card is probably broken but before buying a new one I wanted to check if somebody has another idea.

Would be nice if you could help me.

Asus ROG Strix Z390-F | i9-9900K @5Ghz | NZXT Kraken x72 | Asus ROG Strix 2080 ti

4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3066Mhz | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 

It's weird that the problem still persists when using USB audio devices, as the internal sound card only provides audio to the laptop's speakers and to any direct audio I/O, and USB devices generally have their own sound cards. I once accidentally killed a sound card completely on a motherboard, but still had audio from both the HDMI on the video card, and the USB audio device. 

Does the problem appear while the laptop is unplugged from the charger, using the battery for power? 

Could also be a worn 3.5 mm jack port, and the computer is "tricked" into thinking something is connected to the port. Sorry for the bad explanation. 

My only talent in life is troubleshooting and fixing stuff.

• 2 months later...

@TheKent sorry for answering so late, it seems I accidentally turned off notifications on this Thread. I tested your thesis and can confirm that the crackling noise is indeed not coming up when my laptop isn't connected to a power source. I still can't really confirm this but I as well have the theory that the frequency of the crackles does get higher the higher the load is my laptop has to deal with. Do you know what could be the reason for this? is it the laptop being full and switching between charging and discharging status or sth like that? 

Asus ROG Strix Z390-F | i9-9900K @5Ghz | NZXT Kraken x72 | Asus ROG Strix 2080 ti

4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3066Mhz | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 

Update: It does not only occur when the PC is fully charged but all the time when it is connected to power