should you use a mac or microsoft computer to code

Alexthenoobgamer101
Go to solution Solved by NunoLava1998,
3 minutes ago, Alexthenoobgamer101 said:

no, this one is asking which one to use while coding while the other one was which is the best

windows/linux

should you use a mac or microsoft computer to code  

14 members have voted

1. 1. should you use a mac or microsoft computer to code

• mac
    • microsoft computer

I use a mac to code because it has Xcode and a lot of good programming applications that work well with mac but on the other hand, Microsoft has applications that work well with it ass well

Isn't this a copy of your other thread? More or less anyway.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For coding Windows will do better. For more bare bones stuff, Linux will do better than the two.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

no, this one is asking which one to use while coding while the other one was which is the best

3 minutes ago, Alexthenoobgamer101 said:

windows/linux

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Honestly Windows. Better file System, better environment for troubleshooting and less restrictions.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

Oh man, you really want to start a religious war don't you. About the only think worse to ask is why someone would use Vim...

Personally I can use either and I actively do. For development though I do prefer Mac. Windows just doesn't have a good terminal. Straight-up doesn't. iterm2 on the Mac is a god send. Windows has gotten better with Windows Subsystem for Linux but it still doesn't have a good terminal client.

Mac also has a much better package manager with Brew. Windows has been getting better with Chocolatey but still has a long ways to go.

Literally 100% depends on what you do, what experience you have & your preferences. 

Side note: If you're unsure just use what you're familiar with and go from there. If you come across specific features that you want then make the switch but if it's not needed then why switch?

Totally depends what you like and what you do, but I find developing (especially C++ and server related stuff) on Windows to be a pain in the ass. The terminal (even the linux subsystem) is practically useless. Docker is useless. No good package manager. Build tools are worse. I could go on, but for what I do I can't stand using Windows. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

17 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Totally depends what you like and what you do, but I find developing (especially C++ and server related stuff) on Windows to be a pain in the ass. The terminal (even the linux subsystem) is practically useless. Docker is useless. No good package manager. Build tools are worse. I could go on, but for what I do I can't stand using Windows. 

This. We have a few laptops at work running windows and docker is a horror to get working to the point where we have a ubuntu server that people ssh into.

Unless what you're doing is like c# or .net stuff then I would avoid windows.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 3/28/2019 at 6:41 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

For more bare bones stuff, Linux will do better than the two.

Unix runs circles around Linux.

Write in C.